New Stater Bros. Riverside replacement store opening

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

New Stater Bros. Riverside replacement store opening

Post by CalItalian »

Two miles between the store being closed & the new replacement store is a bit of a stretch for Stater Bros. Especially in a city as large as Riverside.

In my area, there are 4 Stater Bros. locations basically on the same street over 10 miles (from Lake Elsinore through Menifee on or just off Diamond Drive, Railroad Canyon Rd & Newport Rd. - which is the same street). Plus a 5th Stater Bros. 2 miles north of Newport in Menifee/Sun City.

https://www.winsightgrocerybusiness.com ... =RSS-Feeds
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: New Stater Bros. Riverside replacement store opening

Post by HCal »

Stater is really killing it in the inland empire. I wish they would open more stores in LA and OC. Albertsons/Vons could use some competition. These days even Ralphs isn't what it once was.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 10:37 pm Stater is really killing it in the inland empire. I wish they would open more stores in LA and OC. Albertsons/Vons could use some competition. These days even Ralphs isn't what it once was.
Stater is investing in the areas with growth. This makes sense to me. Not many other parties are building conventional Unionized full service grocery stores anymore in CA so it is like the field is wide open. Sure you get the random Aldi or Grocery Outlet opening but that isn't quite the same.

Ralphs clearly has strength in and very near Los Angeles County but beyond that.... they fade more and more. Albertsons/Vons is really not a great operator at all. Terrible really due to the outrageous pricing and inconsistent quality from store to store. If the stores executed consistently I'd at least say their quality is pretty good but between low volume stores and poorly executed stores their quality which starts good doesn't always end good due to problems at the store level (lack of volume, lack of labor, too high of a price so stuff isn't moving, etc.). Okay on price for the person with the right coupons on their digital account but I can't seem to access those scenarios when I am in the area.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I’ve noticed being in Southern California on vacation, that the grocery chains don’t advertise much on television. I’ve never seen a Ralphs ad (unlike in Phoenix where there is a Fry’s ad almost every 15-20 minutes…even on cable)and there was only a few Albertsons/Vons ads.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: September 24th, 2022, 5:36 pm I’ve noticed being in Southern California on vacation, that the grocery chains don’t advertise much on television. I’ve never seen a Ralphs ad (unlike in Phoenix where there is a Fry’s ad almost every 15-20 minutes…even on cable)and there was only a few Albertsons/Vons ads.
I wonder if it is because fewer people are watching TV in SoCal or ad rates are just too high so the stores have cut that expense out. Surprised Albertsons/Vons had any ads. Do they include all 3 banners including Pavilions in the ads?
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

jamcool wrote: September 24th, 2022, 5:36 pm I’ve noticed being in Southern California on vacation, that the grocery chains don’t advertise much on television. I’ve never seen a Ralphs ad (unlike in Phoenix where there is a Fry’s ad almost every 15-20 minutes…even on cable)and there was only a few Albertsons/Vons ads.
I have cable & pretty much every tv streaming app. I haven't seen Ralphs lately on L.A. tv but I have on both Pluto & Roku channels. They may have moved more of their advertising budget to streaming. One caveat, my local Ralphs in Menifee just completed a complete remodel & had a Grand Re-Opening two weeks ago. Streaming is targeted advertising so possibly that's why I'm seeing Ralphs ads. But they aren't localized.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: September 24th, 2022, 9:19 pm I have cable & pretty much every tv streaming app. I haven't seen Ralphs lately on L.A. tv but I have on both Pluto & Roku channels. They may have moved more of their advertising budget to streaming. One caveat, my local Ralphs in Menifee just completed a complete remodel & had a Grand Re-Opening two weeks ago. Streaming is targeted advertising so possibly that's why I'm seeing Ralphs ads. But they aren't localized.
How did the remodel come out? Did they improve anything or just redecorate?
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: September 24th, 2022, 11:58 am
HCal wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 10:37 pm Stater is really killing it in the inland empire. I wish they would open more stores in LA and OC. Albertsons/Vons could use some competition. These days even Ralphs isn't what it once was.
Stater is investing in the areas with growth. This makes sense to me. Not many other parties are building conventional Unionized full service grocery stores anymore in CA so it is like the field is wide open. Sure you get the random Aldi or Grocery Outlet opening but that isn't quite the same.
FYI, there is a second Aldi opening in Murrieta in November in the new Costco shopping center just off Clinton Keith & the 215. There's a Super Target on the other side of the freeway.

Also in Murrieta at 39573 Los Alamos Rd (at the 215 freeway), a new Grocery Outlet is opening in 6 weeks. It's an existing shopping center. There's a Stater Bros. on the opposite side of the 215. Amazon Fresh - with no customers anymore - is the next exit south.

There's also a Grocery Outlet about to start new construction in Menifee. On Newport about two blocks east of Murrieta Rd. This will be a brand new build with other stores/fast food/car wash in the to be built shopping center. Stater Bros. is at the corner of Newport & Murrieta. 99 Cents Only (former Albertsons from 10 years ago?) across the street from Staters.

Quite a few Grocery Outlet locations in my area & they do have good business. I get ads every week from the Wildomar location but I'm going to be very close to the Menifee location. Wildomar location seems to get quite a bit of business.

Just to add a little more news since I'm plugged into my area, Smart & Final which was to occupy a new build - almost completed before it went into bankruptcy & got taken back by the bank lender - in Menifee was bought out of bankruptcy by a Chick-fil-A franchisee. It's a very large lot. The former to be Smart & Final to be will now be completed out as medical offices. Large Chick-fil-A will be built on the rest of the property - across the street from Menifee City Hall. Already approved.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: September 24th, 2022, 9:51 pm

Also in Murrieta at 39573 Los Alamos Rd (at the 215 freeway), a new Grocery Outlet is opening in 6 weeks. It's an existing shopping center. There's a Stater Bros. on the opposite side of the 215. Amazon Fresh - with no customers anymore - is the next exit south.

There's also a Grocery Outlet about to start new construction in Menifee. On Newport about two blocks east of Murrieta Rd. This will be a brand new build with other stores/fast food/car wash in the to be built shopping center. Stater Bros. is at the corner of Newport & Murrieta. 99 Cents Only (former Albertsons from 10 years ago?) across the street from Staters.

Quite a few Grocery Outlet locations in my area & they do have good business. I get ads every week from the Wildomar location but I'm going to be very close to the Menifee location. Wildomar location seems to get quite a bit of business.

Just to add a little more news since I'm plugged into my area, Smart & Final which was to occupy a new build - almost completed before it went into bankruptcy & got taken back by the bank lender - in Menifee was bought out of bankruptcy by a Chick-fil-A franchisee. It's a very large lot. The former to be Smart & Final to be will now be completed out as medical offices. Large Chick-fil-A will be built on the rest of the property - across the street from Menifee City Hall. Already approved.
Grocery Outlet is doing a fantastic job with some of its new store openings. They push in a bigger variety of merchandise than I've ever seen them offer to get an idea what sells and what to send going forward. Some of the items they push in seem to be at less than attractive price points, though. The concept seems more than relevant at this point in time with prices increasing everywhere. I particularly like them for short dated products (since they are to no longer sell expired products per corporate directive) but some stores are more generous than others when it comes to pricing down the short dated products.

Some existing Grocery Outlets seem to be having some difficulties getting inventory. There is one I go to that, for months now, just isn't getting much product in. It doesn't do much business (rarely more than one lane open). If I were that franchisee I'd be pretty upset seeing how much different inventory surrounding stores get and how little this store gets. Supposedly their sales are up 20-30% but they are being allocated inventory for their previous lower volume. This store is also meticulous at blowing out short dated items when they still have 3-4 days left (they need that long to have a chance at sell through based on their low customer count). Some busier locations I notice don't clearance until the day before sell by date.

Grocery Outlet recently did a relocation in Carson City. The old store was in the middle of town and hardly got any business and was an absolutely terrible store (little selection, dirty, closed at 7 PM, just terrible). Long term operator retired and it went through multiple operators after that. They relocated out to a more visible location next to 99 Cents Only (these are cut from a former Scolaris then short lived Sak N Save that closed a long time ago) and the new store is fantastic with great selection and they have easily increased their volume by a multiple of 5 with this move.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: September 24th, 2022, 9:31 pm
CalItalian wrote: September 24th, 2022, 9:19 pm I have cable & pretty much every tv streaming app. I haven't seen Ralphs lately on L.A. tv but I have on both Pluto & Roku channels. They may have moved more of their advertising budget to streaming. One caveat, my local Ralphs in Menifee just completed a complete remodel & had a Grand Re-Opening two weeks ago. Streaming is targeted advertising so possibly that's why I'm seeing Ralphs ads. But they aren't localized.
How did the remodel come out? Did they improve anything or just redecorate?
I thought Vons remodels were crappy. This takes the cake. Nothing was moved around. Lot of new paint, signage & they repolished the hideous concrete floors. Checkstands, self-checkout untouched. There was a Union Bank that closed over a year ago on the left side of the store next to the bakery & all they did was put up a low bank of refrigerated drinks. One aisle was taken out near the right side of the store to make a large aisle with bins.

One of the most disappointing remodels I've ever seen. Ralphs Murrieta, which was remodeled in late 2019, is a much nicer store.

There is no pharmacy at all in this large shopping center (previously a Target & Sav-on were in this center decades ago - now a Living Spaces & Ross) & they didn't even add that.

See my photos on Yelp. I uploaded them just now. Over 30 photos.

https://yelp.to/SACkNnK6Itb