Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

California closures aren't quite slowing down.If there is any truth to this reddit post,6405 El cajon would be the third loss for San Diego after Rancho penasquitos (13167 Black mountain)and the 5270 Balboa store in clairemont Mesa both closed this past spring.A recent tweet suggested that as many as 180 California RAD locations could be lost;however, I find this of low credibility and not just because this was from a tweeter who endorses political talking points I strongly disagree with.

In any case, Thursday's fy2023q2 earnings report could be very interesting to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:20 am

I bet that is the store that was next to the Fresh & Easy at that yucky shopping center on Hwy 111.
Looks like a nice store, too bad there is no merchandise.

111 appears to be a former Thrifty and Country Club appears to be a former Payless.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:09 am
The Safeway is the same location that acquired the pleasant Grove prescriptions.Can't say much for that store but their pharmacy obviously got a boost.

Today Christmas toys and food were being put out which certainly will closure-proof my store for the foreseeable future.I did notice in the regular toy aisle that Astra playing cards (the de facto store brand in that category)was being clearanced out at half off(normal price is 3.09 or 3.19),we were basically the last drugstore chain with store brand playing cards as both CVS and Walgreens discontinued sich product years ago.

Have not seen Christmas yet in the locations I've been to. Gardnerville has had most Halloween Candy for at least a few weeks and Fall Decor recently showed up.

Also seems like a lot of fans have materialized on a seasonal aisle that were not around before, only 25% off. I think the fans may have been in the front alcove (designed as a slot machine alcove from the Customer World remodel, but the machines never got put in there, and it has been sort of a space to put large seasonal items instead over the years) and I did not notice them.

Tough to see 180 CA locations being closed. But there have been some closures that really surprised me as I thought they were solid stores. The only way I see that happening is if they are trying to groom the store base for a potential sale to Walgreens and/or CVS and not have to mess with divesting stores at the point of the merger.

I'm starting to wonder if the Rite Aid Career site does not give a lens into future store closures though. I know of multiple stores that are operating with reduced hours yet have no job postings on the career site. I guess it is possible if the store has no store manager there is nobody to regularly post job openings for the specific store to the career site.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote:
veteran+ wrote: September 24th, 2022, 8:20 am

I bet that is the store that was next to the Fresh & Easy at that yucky shopping center on Hwy 111.

111 appears to be a former Thrifty and Country Club appears to be a former Payless.
On top of that,the highway 111 store has fewer online reviews and pictures while 74958 country Club is better kept and merchandised based on its online review profiles.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 24th, 2022, 7:38 pm

On top of that,the highway 111 store has fewer online reviews and pictures while 74958 country Club is better kept and merchandised based on its online review profiles.

[/quote]

There is a former Payless I've been to that looks similar to that one. It may be Bell Road in Auburn or it may have been a store up in Oregon somewhere. Basically one of those stores with three "sets" of aisles. They have a tough time filling the whole thing so the solution is to sort of empty out an entire corner in the third "set" of aisles. Usually liquor is on one of those sides of the third "set" of aisles so it tends to be the opposite corner/side. South Lake Tahoe and Truckee are of this "three set" layout too but they have excess vendor merchandise filling many of the empty aisles (souvenirs at Tahoe and more clothing/snow plastics at Truckee). Gardnerville also had two empty aisles in the back corner that are now filled with vendor clothing that they spread out office supplies/what little is left of home/toys/as seen on tv on another aisle that had emptied and gained a seasonal aisle from where office had been.

There has to be a better solution to this than just flat empty shelves. Take out the aisles- put out pallets of water, beer, plastic tubs, popcorn tubs, something... anything... open up the space and removing the shelving if no inventory is coming back to these shelves (pretty sure inventory isn't coming back to these shelves).

They got that DSD vendor to help them out with Tahoe and Truckee and the one aisle in Gardnerville who has helped them out a lot over the years (this was how South Lake Tahoe looked full back in 1999-2000 they just literally stuffed the place with souvenirs from this vendor) and given the vendor also does a lot of gloves, plastic sleds, water toys, etc. it really helped the stores continue to be "useful."
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: September 24th, 2022, 12:03 pm

California closures aren't quite slowing down.If there is any truth to this reddit post,6405 El cajon would be the third loss for San Diego after Rancho penasquitos (13167 Black mountain)and the 5270 Balboa store in clairemont Mesa both closed this past spring.A recent tweet suggested that as many as 180 California RAD locations could be lost;however, I find this of low credibility and not just because this was from a tweeter who endorses political talking points I strongly disagree with.

In any case, Thursday's fy2023q2 earnings report could be very interesting to say the least.

OK, is it bad that when one looks quickly, one wonders how Rite Aid can be closing a CVS promotion (ECB)? ;)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: September 25th, 2022, 12:00 pm
OK, is it bad that when one looks quickly, one wonders how Rite Aid can be closing a CVS promotion (ECB)? ;)
Lately CVS has been doing a fantastic job of closing promotions on its own. Way fewer weekly coupons, drastically higher prices, no longer accepting expired CVS coupons 2 days after expiration...

back on topic...
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

storewanderer wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:11 pm
The Safeway is the same location that acquired the pleasant Grove prescriptions.Can't say much for that store but their pharmacy obviously got a boost.

Today Christmas toys and food were being put out which certainly will closure-proof my store for the foreseeable future.I did notice in the regular toy aisle that Astra playing cards (the de facto store brand in that category)was being clearanced out at half off(normal price is 3.09 or 3.19),we were basically the last drugstore chain with store brand playing cards as both CVS and Walgreens discontinued sich product years ago.

Have not seen Christmas yet in the locations I've been to. Gardnerville has had most Halloween Candy for at least a few weeks and Fall Decor recently showed up.

Also seems like a lot of fans have materialized on a seasonal aisle that were not around before, only 25% off. I think the fans may have been in the front alcove (designed as a slot machine alcove from the Customer World remodel, but the machines never got put in there, and it has been sort of a space to put large seasonal items instead over the years) and I did not notice them.

Tough to see 180 CA locations being closed. But there have been some closures that really surprised me as I thought they were solid stores. The only way I see that happening is if they are trying to groom the store base for a potential sale to Walgreens and/or CVS and not have to mess with divesting stores at the point of the merger.

I'm starting to wonder if the Rite Aid Career site does not give a lens into future store closures though. I know of multiple stores that are operating with reduced hours yet have no job postings on the career site. I guess it is possible if the store has no store manager there is nobody to regularly post job openings for the specific store to the career site.
i dunno if walgreens or CVS would be interested in taking over rite aid's remaining stores at this point as they have been closing stores themselves right now. kroger may be rite aid's best partner for a merger at this point.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

reymann wrote: September 25th, 2022, 1:00 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:11 pm

i dunno if walgreens or CVS would be interested in taking over rite aid's remaining stores at this point as they have been closing stores themselves right now. kroger may be rite aid's best partner for a merger at this point.
I can't think of.any reason why Kroger would want Rite Aid. Zero.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

babs wrote:
reymann wrote: September 25th, 2022, 1:00 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:11 pm Have not seen Christmas yet in the locations I've been to. Gardnerville has had most Halloween Candy for at least a few weeks and Fall Decor recently showed up.

I can't think of.any reason why Kroger would want Rite Aid. Zero.
Not to mention possible FTC scrutiny in certain western markets and the 2 Midwest states where they overlap(Michigan, Ohio).

I must note that previous RAD CEO John standley has departed his role as Walgreens president to pursue other opportunities which may or may not affect a revival/revisit of the previous blocked merger.
► Show Spoiler