Save Mart-Reno-Early Voting

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Save Mart-Reno-Early Voting

Post by storewanderer »

Save Mart is now doing Early Voting in Reno/Sparks. Previously this was done for decades by Scolaris, then Raleys took it over but for some reason Raleys is not participating in this cycle (the primary last spring, Raleys still participated). Not sure what the deal with Raleys is. Typically, when this was done at Scolaris and Raleys, they would find some open space in the store usually close to an entry but not really in the main line of traffic, or over at a slow entry just inside the store (the type of space where you'd see a liquor or water display or something) (like the entry on the pharmacy side of the store).

Anyway the first location I went to in Reno on Kietzke. Old 1992 Albertsons; door on each side with small cart alcove. Over on the produce/bakery/deli side (the busier entry, the entry nearest self checkouts), they cleared out the little tiny cart alcove/entry foyer area and put the voting equipment in there. The table where you check in to vote is literally about 3 feet from the exit door. After about 2 people are in line to check in, there is no space and you must wait outside. All traffic entering and exiting the store through this door is going through here as people are trying to check in. People are walking in asking where are the carts/baskets etc. very confused. Then they turn around to exit and have to practically butt shoulders with whoever is standing at the vote check in table to exit. Then once you are checked in at a polling machine to vote, every customer entering the store or those waiting in line to check in are staring over at you. This is the absolute worst voting set up I have seen, ever. It is crammed, uncomfortable, and absolutely terrible. The worst part is this store has giant open space at the opposite entry, across from liquor, and also giant open space where the pharmacy used to be, that could have been used to do a set up similar to what Raleys and Scolaris did in the past. Cannot figure out why they did what they did here.

So I went over to a different location, Reno on Plumb. Old 1995 Albertsons, single entry format. Sign out front says vote here. Did not see any sign pointing where to go when I entered, maybe I missed it. Entered the store and walked the entire perimeter. Did not see the voting area anywhere, but there was a sign out front to vote here. While paying for a couple items, noticed the voting area was up against the front wall in the old video rental area (which is a little room of its own against the front wall, quiet and appropriate for this), the check in tables were set up outside the old video rental area (this was a large space that had a long counter, more than enough space), and there was more than enough space for line up for check in to form. This is really good in that at least it is a quiet, isolated space away from the direct line of traffic. Definitely one of the better early voting set ups I've seen.

Cannot believe how the same chain can get things so different with the same project in two locations a few miles apart.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Save Mart-Reno-Early Voting

Post by architect »

In the Austin area, many Randalls locations have hosted polling locations for years. The majority of the time, the polling station is set up in the dining area, or in stores without a dining area, near the front of the store by the pharmacy. Usually, the line extends through the front of the store and out of an entrance door as required. Most of the Randalls stores used for this purpose are quite large and have enough space to accommodate the polling place without significantly impact store operations.

There was actually some controversy several years ago where Greg Abbott (now the Texas Governor) was accused of campaigning at a mid-2000's Safeway-built Randalls in south Austin, with photos of Abbot at the store circulating on social media. However, Abbott was a regular shopper at the store in question, and was talking with shoppers at the entrance opposite of the polling place (most Safeway stores from this era had two entrances at opposite ends of the store), outside of the legally-restricted campaigning area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Some of the Scolaris had a very small dining area and years ago I saw them set voting up in those spaces.

Early voting is running for two weeks in Nevada, not sure how that works in other places. For someone running for office to need to avoid their typical store for two weeks to avoid false accusations seems like a bit much, but in the current polarized environment I can see how it may not be a bad idea, or not shop when the early voting is open. Sad it has come to this point. The store could easily prove or disprove if he was really a regular customer there, but most likely nobody from the store is allowed by company policy to get mixed up in confirming or denying that.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Don't want to go too off topic but one side effect of the forced traffic through the voting area, is that has turned into the busiest early vote location in the county.... since everyone sees it going in and out of the store. Creates more store traffic in the process as people tell others they know about the voting offered at the store and others go there who normally wouldn't.