SpartanNash consolidating banners

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

SpartanNash consolidating banners

Post by pseudo3d »

Everything at SpartanNash will now be either Family Fare (regular stores), Martin's Super Markets (upmarket; not to be confused with Ahold Delhaize's chains), D&W Fresh Market (second upmarket brand), or Supermercado Nuestra Familia.
VG's Grocery, Dan's Supermarket, Family Fresh Market, Forest Hills Foods/Ada Fresh Market, Fresh Madison Market, No Frills, SunMart, Dillonvale IGA and Econofoods are all getting rebranded.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... et-banners
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: SpartanNash consolidating banners

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

pseudo3d wrote: November 4th, 2022, 2:45 pm Everything at SpartanNash will now be either Family Fare (regular stores), Martin's Super Markets (upmarket; not to be confused with Ahold Delhaize's chains), D&W Fresh Market (second upmarket brand), or Supermercado Nuestra Familia.
VG's Grocery, Dan's Supermarket, Family Fresh Market, Forest Hills Foods/Ada Fresh Market, Fresh Madison Market, No Frills, SunMart, Dillonvale IGA and Econofoods are all getting rebranded.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... et-banners
https://www.spartannash.com/grocery-ret ... ry-banner/
Dan's Supermarket: all locations around Bismarck, ND. They compete with Cash Wise (Coborn's).
Dillonvale IGA: 1 store in Cincinnati. Yes, they are surviving with one store in Krogerland. I'd expect them to close this one, or sell it to Meijer so they can expand their traditional format.
Family Fresh Market: 3 stores, one in Minnesota, the other two in NE and WI. The one in Nebraska (Kearney) was previously a SunMart. I can imagine this one is getting smoked by the nearby Hy-Vee.
Forest Hills Foods: 2 stores, both around Grand Rapids, MI. Looks like a Gelson's wannabe. These two would be converted to D&W.
Madison Fresh Market: perhaps this would be sold to its management while still being supplied by SpartanNash.
No Frills: two stores left, both in Omaha exurbs. These two left are tiny stores, and could be sold to AWG.
SunMart: 5 stores left, all in Nebraska. Those stores may be former Hinky Dinky stores.
VG's: 9 stores left, all in Michigan.

Econofoods has already been rebranded. So has Family Thrift Center (Rapid City banner, bought 2 Albertsons stores and flopped with them), and Bag N Save (Omaha banner, a few of those were/are former Albertsons)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think the bigger problem with SpartanNash Retail is their pricing is just too high. They don't run a bad store per se, it is just too expensive. The perimeters aren't great (I think the issue may be lack of traffic). Back when Spartan was on its own, Spartan seemed to be supplying or operating far higher volume stores than what these have evolved into. It seems like the very iffy Nash Finch Retail model that executed poorly and struggled for years with tired extremely low volume stores has been applied to the merged entity and the results have not been great. While we can certainly acknowledge competition such as Hy Vee is very tough, I still think there should be a place for a mid sized neighborhood store format like those SpartanNash Retail operates in at least some of these markets.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Apparently, Nash Finch corporate stores sold the President's Choice brand at one point:
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/1207584 ... -finch-pc/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

2005 isn't even that long ago. I do wonder if Loblaw's may give this another try at some point to bring this product line down into the US again.

I just wonder who would pick it up. At this point most everyone is either a big chain or tied into TopCo. I don't think TopCo's "secondary" brands, the names escape me, but they have sub brands for Organic, sub brand for snacks, sub brand for premium items, and I don't think those secondary brands get much traction at all. It could serve them well to get PC into those categories, I think PC could be very effective.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:10 pm 2005 isn't even that long ago. I do wonder if Loblaw's may give this another try at some point to bring this product line down into the US again.

I just wonder who would pick it up. At this point most everyone is either a big chain or tied into TopCo. I don't think TopCo's "secondary" brands, the names escape me, but they have sub brands for Organic, sub brand for snacks, sub brand for premium items, and I don't think those secondary brands get much traction at all. It could serve them well to get PC into those categories, I think PC could be very effective.
Culinary Tours is the high-end Topco brand, it was previously World Classics.
I' guess for PC returning to the US, SpinCo/Save Mart would be the answer. I wouldn't be surprised if Save Mart moves away from Topco assuming they buy Albertsons/Kroger divests.

Osco Drug stores in the Midwest/MT carried PC until the Albertsons breakup. That group of stores carried Jewel brand food also, even in areas with Albertsons (Montana). Sav-on/Osco in CA/NV/AZ carried Albertsons brand food.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:10 pm 2005 isn't even that long ago. I do wonder if Loblaw's may give this another try at some point to bring this product line down into the US again.

Here are all those brands (except Red Button, that's a 'cart in the A' exclusive)
https://www.freshmarketstores.com/exclusive-brands
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Hmm...that could be an interesting way of Loblaw getting their hands into SpinCo...PC had a pretty good reception wherever it was used in the US...just wonder if Loblaw has lost any US sourcing capability since divesting National/Canal Villere.