Rushed Longview Fred Meyer non-food reset?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Rushed Longview Fred Meyer non-food reset?

Post by Super S »

I was in the Longview Fred Meyer tonight, and noticed that they have removed the majority of the furniture area, and have moved some of the shelving into this area. It looks like a reset of some sort is taking place instead of a full remodel. However, this looks a bit rushed. First, I noticed that the carpeting in the area has been removed and new tiles have been installed. However, the tiles are a slightly different (but noticeable) color and do not match, but they did go to the trouble of keeping the "checkerboard" pattern of the last remodel about 10-12 years ago. There were also some new shelving units in place, which were white instead of the darker beige/off-white of the existing shelving units. This was very noticeable. Another oddity, which may or may not be related, is that the fluorescent fixtures had only one of the three tubes in each light turned on, while the food section was all lit up.

I am wondering if the tiles are only temporary until the next remodel, but that, combined with the different color shelving, makes it look a bit rushed. And the darker lighting made me wonder if this was a conservation measure. Kinda like how Kmart would do things. The grocery area always is busy, the non-food side not so much. I wonder if they are making changes to increase business, maybe in response to the fact that Longview now has two Walmart stores.

If other Fred Meyer stores are any indication, this store is due for another remodel. It doesn't make sense why they would be resetting things.
KrogerTexas
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Rushed Longview Fred Meyer non-food reset?

Post by KrogerTexas »

Floor tile like carpet must be bought in batches for the color to match. Matching the current floor tile would be almost impossible.

Here in Texas all the Marketplaces are doing away with furniture and putting in clothing, wonder if this is happen at Fred Meyer also, or maybe reducing the furniture selection?
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

KrogerTexas wrote:Floor tile like carpet must be bought in batches for the color to match. Matching the current floor tile would be almost impossible.

Here in Texas all the Marketplaces are doing away with furniture and putting in clothing, wonder if this is happen at Fred Meyer also, or maybe reducing the furniture selection?
In general I think Fred Meyers already have lots of space devoted to clothing, I'm not sure what could be gained by allocating even more space to clothing. It does seem like the recent Kirkland Fred Meyer remodel did reduce the amount of space allocated to furniture and reduce the differentiation of the furniture department (I don't believe there is a distinct floor space anymore) but there does still seem to be a fairly decent amount of furniture in the store. It'll be interesting to see what other Fred Meyer stores in the area do when they come up on their periodic remodels (generally every 10-12 years is the guideline they aim for.) According to that schedule the Bellevue store should get remodeled sometime in the next year or so, and the Redmond store (which I believe opened in 2006) shouldn't be too far behind.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Brian Lutz wrote:
KrogerTexas wrote:Floor tile like carpet must be bought in batches for the color to match. Matching the current floor tile would be almost impossible.

In general I think Fred Meyers already have lots of space devoted to clothing, I'm not sure what could be gained by allocating even more space to clothing. It does seem like the recent Kirkland Fred Meyer remodel did reduce the amount of space allocated to furniture and reduce the differentiation of the furniture department (I don't believe there is a distinct floor space anymore) but there does still seem to be a fairly decent amount of furniture in the store. It'll be interesting to see what other Fred Meyer stores in the area do when they come up on their periodic remodels (generally every 10-12 years is the guideline they aim for.) According to that schedule the Bellevue store should get remodeled sometime in the next year or so, and the Redmond store (which I believe opened in 2006) shouldn't be too far behind.
The Longview store is about due for a remodel then if they are going by a 10-12 year timetable. I can say that several Fred Meyer stores in the Portland area which had this interior package have already been remodeled in the last few years.