Raleys ONE- $20 off $60- Roseville and El Dorado Hills

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Raleys ONE- $20 off $60- Roseville and El Dorado Hills

Post by storewanderer »

This week Raleys has 3 separate ads for ONE: Reno has an ad (no basket coupon...), Roseville has an ad with the $20 off $60 coupon, and El Dorado Hills has an ad with the $20 off $60 coupon.

They print a separate ad for Roseville with "come check us out" language being it is the new store and then for El Dorado Hills with "we heard you El Dorado Hills" about adding back various conventional products.

$20 off $60 is a huge discount for a grocery store to give, that basically gives away the entire margin on a basket (33%). This is approaching as bad as Amazon Fresh.

Prior to a couple months ago there was a single ad published for all of the ONE Stores.

https://www.raleys.com/weeklydeals

Truckee ONE has no ad (changed sometime this year that they stopped participating in the ad, but it does run basically all of the specials in these ads I've ever gone into Truckee looking for... so I am not sure why the ads say it doesn't participate).

Based on this it would appear Reno and Truckee must be performing at a level that does not necessitate a $20 off $60 coupon. I think that may be the case for Truckee.

Or they have given up on Reno entirely and don't even want to lose margin dollars with a $20 off $60 coupon on this lost cause format at this point. Should have converted it back to standard Raleys last month to capture the important holiday sales period. Could have been back up to some $1 million+/week sales volumes again with the Reno store during the holiday if they had done that. Too bad. They'll be very lucky to do half that on their best week during the holidays with the ONE format.
storewanderer

Re: Raleys ONE- $20 off $60- Roseville and El Dorado Hills

Post by storewanderer »

This week - $25 off $75 at Roseville and El Dorado Hills.

No basket coupon for Reno.

Very interesting.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: November 11th, 2022, 11:39 pm This week - $25 off $75 at Roseville and El Dorado Hills.

Very interesting.
I'm afraid to say that Reno is a lost cause at this point. They need to convert this store back to a traditional format, or continue to let Safeway eat its proverbial lunch.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: November 14th, 2022, 1:49 pm
storewanderer wrote: November 11th, 2022, 11:39 pm This week - $25 off $75 at Roseville and El Dorado Hills.

Very interesting.
I'm afraid to say that Reno is a lost cause at this point. They need to convert this store back to a traditional format, or continue to let Safeway eat its proverbial lunch.
They've sunk too much money into Reno to let it go. Plus the profit history on that location is so strong before May 1, 2021... I don't think it will ever be what it was again. Also with the number of apartments being built or already built in a 1-2 mile radius of the store, including both low income and 80/20 apartments, it is not even appropriate for the ONE format anymore based on demographics surrounding the store. I think Save Mart could do a much better job with the location but since they don't do pharmacy anymore they'd be a terrible fit (pharmacy is one of the departments in the ONE that is actually still busy).

It would be funny if they did let it go, then take the Safeway over IF it gets divested as part of the Kroger/Albertsons merger and convert it into a standard Raleys.

Ironically a store swap could work with Kroger getting the ONE, Raleys getting the new build Reno Safeway... probably alleviate any divest concerns...

Raleys has another problem in Reno: the Sak N Save. Place is dire. No clue what they are doing. Poorly stocked aisles, bakery/deli practically closed, just one of the most sad stores. Dozen First Light Large Eggs (not even cage free) 6.49, 18pk 8.99. Lots of WIC Redemptions there at Sak N Save, appears they are taking advantage price gouging on dozen eggs at 6.49 many of which are being paid for by State of Nevada WIC Program. Standard Raleys has Dozen Raleys Cage Free Eggs at 3.98. Why can't they bring those to Sak N Save?