Quiznos Expanding With 30 New Restaurants

babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Quiznos Expanding With 30 New Restaurants

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: November 24th, 2022, 10:17 pm
babs wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:54 pm As soon as Subway started toasting sandwiches, Quiznos uniqueness disappeared. There's zero reason to believe people are waiting for Quiznos to come back.
Quiznos toasted sub was quite different from Subway. Quiznos toasted in a conveyor belt oven and did what I call a "slow dry toast" which really resulted in a bit of a dry crunch to the bread being on the way (but nowhere near) to crouton level. Subway toasts in a small convection oven and does what I call a "quick soggy toast" resulting in a rubbery bread (being on the way to mush).
Bottom line, both are terrible. They've earned their slide into oblivion.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: November 25th, 2022, 3:08 pm

Quiznos toasted sub was quite different from Subway. Quiznos toasted in a conveyor belt oven and did what I call a "slow dry toast" which really resulted in a bit of a dry crunch to the bread being on the way (but nowhere near) to crouton level. Subway toasts in a small convection oven and does what I call a "quick soggy toast" resulting in a rubbery bread (being on the way to mush).
[/quote]

I don't know, Subway still has how many units...?

Seems like Subway is quite alive.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: November 26th, 2022, 12:44 am

[/quote]

Subway is still closing units here and there, but I have noticed that they are slowly upgrading to new interiors and signage. More importantly, Subway is a better choice when you have food allergies and can't eat certain items, and is more open to customizing your sandwiches. I recently attempted to try Quizno's again when I saw an open location, and like my last visit, they did not want to deviate from their "assembly line" approach and actually told me I could not deviate from the way the menu says to make the sandwich. I ended up walking out without ordering. Perhaps I just went to two bad franchises, but this in my opinion is a huge part of why Quizno's has struggled. As bad as some Subway locations are, I generally don't have issues customizing my sandwiches.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

[/quote]

They down at least 3000 units over the last few years, probably more than that since at least half the locations around here has disappeared while other sandwich chains continue to open tons of locations. But perhaps they are doing well in Reno.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

[/quote]

There are many fast food places that are still very much alive (as mentioned over and over again, right here) while clogging Americans' arteries with very "bad things". By their nature and design they do not offer healthful foods.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

[/quote]

Subway is still very much alive. Here in Phoenix the difference is that instead of being on every corner they now have a location on every OTHER corner.

I still have 12 locations within 5 miles of my house in a very suburban part of Phoenix.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: November 26th, 2022, 6:27 am

They down at least 3000 units over the last few years, probably more than that since at least half the locations around here has disappeared while other sandwich chains continue to open tons of locations. But perhaps they are doing well in Reno.
I don't think they're doing particularly well anywhere but they have a system and supply chain that seems to keep a large number of locations open. Also locations that close seem to frequently reopen under new ownership, lately with an interior remodeling done during the closure.

What is their current unit count in metro Portland compared to these other chains?

I know they're declining but there seems to be a core group, and it is a surprisingly large group, of locations they have that survives...

Subway has a system that works. These other chains like Quiznos didn't. And the jury is out on some of these ones you cite that are growing.. we've seen this so many times where chains come and go quickly. But Subway sticks around... albeit with a lot of openings and closures...
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

babs wrote: November 26th, 2022, 6:27 am They down at least 3000 units over the last few years, probably more than that since at least half the locations around here has disappeared while other sandwich chains continue to open tons of locations. But perhaps they are doing well in Reno.
Though they had far more locations than most any chain to begin with, so that may just be that they overdid it and are now adjusting to what they actually need, rather than just having them because someone wants to put one in.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: November 26th, 2022, 5:50 pm
babs wrote: November 26th, 2022, 6:27 am They down at least 3000 units over the last few years, probably more than that since at least half the locations around here has disappeared while other sandwich chains continue to open tons of locations. But perhaps they are doing well in Reno.
Though they had far more locations than most any chain to begin with, so that may just be that they overdid it and are now adjusting to what they actually need, rather than just having them because someone wants to put one in.
Subway is sort of like survival of the fittest. Since Subway let different franchisees open locations basically right on top of existing franchisee's locations, it has really come down to what franchisees can survive and what franchisees cannot. And with that there are a lot of factors and in some cases it is not the best location that stays open. It is the location with a franchisee who has the finances to make things work.

Since COVID hit, I estimate about half of the Subway units around Reno area closed. Some closed then reopened. There were a lot of stupid locations. A couple of the closures have reopened as other deli concepts (one an independent, one Togo's again; this is the third attempt for someone to bring a Togo's into the Reno/Sparks/Truckee market again and they keep failing). Ironically the long standing Togo's that existed in Reno in the 80's and closed in the late 90's is now a (recently remodeled) Subway. Of the ones that have stayed open, about half of those have been remodeled.

These Subway units do not need many customers to stay open is what I observe. Run with 1-2 employees, food cost is low thanks to Subway's well designed supply chain (we are talking cost here, not quality), and these places just stay open with very very low customer counts.

Quizno on the other hand tried to run a supply chain that marked everything up and made food cost for the franchisees quite bloated. The idea was the Quizno Corporation would make a big franchisee fee plus make a huge profit margin on selling ingredients to the franchisees. This high ingredient cost is a big reason why Quizno's failed in so many cases.

Both Subway and Quizno's have a history of franchisees that refuse to honor promotions and coupons.

I've noticed Firehouse Subs gets really annoyed when you do customization to the sandwiches beyond their standard ingredients. Firehouse has a list of the various optional ingredients and it is actually quite large. Never noticed that issue with Quizno's, also the pickles and peppers were self serve so that was two fewer things to "ask for."
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Only Quizons I ever saw in my immediate area was just outside of Amsterdam and they apparently took over the concession area of a bowling alley of all things. That was several years ago and they were here and gone in a big hurry and the bowling alley is still around. And before I read about the chain here on this board, I honestly thought they were out of business which just goes to show how relevant they are.