Kroger closing two metro-Atlanta stores

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Kroger closing two metro-Atlanta stores

Post by architect »

buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kroger closing two metro-Atlanta stores

Post by buckguy »

Piedmont was "Disco Kroger". The closing was announced some time ago. A huge store it's been through a couple expensive makeovers. The landlord wanted something else.

Commerce is a very small store that previously was a Harris-Teeter, A&P and Colonial. When I lived in Atlanta, it was an odd little, low volume Kroger with a huge beverage selection. Harris-Teeter had run it as a mostly "perimeter" store. I suspect that Kroger ran it keep someone like Trader Joe's (a perfect choice for the location) from taking it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like Commerce kept the H-T interior, though maybe Kroger gave it a cement floor? And the front end is very strange with the checkouts against the wall like a drugstore. What a terrible set up for a grocery store checkout, unless it is literally all small transactions.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

buckguy wrote: October 14th, 2022, 6:15 pm Piedmont was "Disco Kroger". The closing was announced some time ago. A huge store it's been through a couple expensive makeovers. The landlord wanted something else.
I have heard speculation Disco Kroger could become a Publix.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

buckguy wrote: October 14th, 2022, 6:15 pm Commerce is a very small store that previously was a Harris-Teeter, A&P and Colonial. When I lived in Atlanta, it was an odd little, low volume Kroger with a huge beverage selection. Harris-Teeter had run it as a mostly "perimeter" store. I suspect that Kroger ran it keep someone like Trader Joe's (a perfect choice for the location) from taking it.
storewanderer wrote: October 14th, 2022, 6:21 pm Looks like Commerce kept the H-T interior, though maybe Kroger gave it a cement floor? And the front end is very strange with the checkouts against the wall like a drugstore. What a terrible set up for a grocery store checkout, unless it is literally all small transactions.
I notice four self checkout lanes and four express-like checkout lanes at Commerce. There are not any conveyor belt/turntable driven checkout lanes.