To remember later: 2022 Thanksgiving feast

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

To remember later: 2022 Thanksgiving feast

Post by SamSpade »

East Idaho News went to stores in both communities, about 50 miles apart. Same stores, I cannot believe the prices are different in the same trade area, but here y'go.
2022: How Much Will Thanksgiving Dinner Cost?
storewanderer

Re: To remember later: 2022 Thanksgiving feast

Post by storewanderer »

I think they may have gone to the same chain in different locations during different ad periods and that explains the strange price differences between the same chain in the same region.

Also the turkey price at Fred Meyer is confusing. Something seems off with that? Smiths has the Kroger Turkey at 1.79/lb (0.69/lb with $25 purchase) and the Butterball Turkey at 1.69/lb (sale; regular price 1.99/lb).
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

That's pretty much correct, StoreWanderer.
The Fred Meyer ad for 11/16-11/24 states:
*Free* Kroger turkey when you spend $150 anywhere in the store (I guess to encourage early apparel/electronics/home gift shopping alongside food) as long as it's the same transaction. If you don't meet that for some reason, with a $50 spend, it is $0.59/lb.

The "posted price" without meeting that $50 threshold is $1.69/lb. I think that's what the journalists here used. But, that's somewhat deceptive because the Albertsons coupon price is only valid with a $50 spend, which is why Idaho Falls' Albertsons is so much lower than Pocatello's for the turkey. :|
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

WinCo in Reno was doing the "lowest price" frozen turkey at 0.98/lb then it was free with $125 purchase. I wondered where that promotion came from. Now I understand.

In the past WinCo price matched "chain grocers" (just lowered their shelf prices) on a list of Thanksgiving items during a certain range of dates leading up to Thanksgiving, they had a sign posted and adjusted their pricing on these items. They did not do that this year. I am not sure if in Reno they decided too many other chains running too many loss leaders or what.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:16 pm WinCo in Reno was doing the "lowest price" frozen turkey at 0.98/lb then it was free with $125 purchase. I wondered where that promotion came from. Now I understand.

In the past WinCo price matched "chain grocers" (just lowered their shelf prices) on a list of Thanksgiving items during a certain range of dates leading up to Thanksgiving, they had a sign posted and adjusted their pricing on these items. They did not do that this year. I am not sure if in Reno they decided too many other chains running too many loss leaders or what.
I wonder if supply issues are a factor here. WinCo suddenly has been having a lot more out of stocks lately across the board, the last couple times shopping there and not being able to get up to half of the items I regularly buy have me shifting back to Fred Meyer.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: November 26th, 2022, 6:19 am

I wonder if supply issues are a factor here. WinCo suddenly has been having a lot more out of stocks lately across the board, the last couple times shopping there and not being able to get up to half of the items I regularly buy have me shifting back to Fred Meyer.
I noticed the past few weeks WinCo is doing a lot of "replacement facings" where they turn around the shelf tag for a missing item and extend whatever is next to that item to cover the empty shelf space. The thing I notice is the out of stock items are back in stock within a couple days, but then a new batch of out of stock items pops up. This is where the fact that WinCo handles limited SKUs really becomes noticeable.

This situation though is not unusual; Safeway and Smiths (especially Smiths) have some pretty serious issues with out of stocks. Raleys tends to be much better stocked in their better performing stores but the ones in lower middle class areas they clearly don't care much about are full of out of stocks too, but they have a larger mix, so not a huge problem. Save Mart also has a lot of out of stocks but they are rather over-SKUed and so low volume that there are plenty of choices there.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: November 27th, 2022, 1:12 am

I noticed the past few weeks WinCo is doing a lot of "replacement facings" where they turn around the shelf tag for a missing item and extend whatever is next to that item to cover the empty shelf space. The thing I notice is the out of stock items are back in stock within a couple days, but then a new batch of out of stock items pops up. This is where the fact that WinCo handles limited SKUs really becomes noticeable.

This situation though is not unusual; Safeway and Smiths (especially Smiths) have some pretty serious issues with out of stocks. Raleys tends to be much better stocked in their better performing stores but the ones in lower middle class areas they clearly don't care much about are full of out of stocks too, but they have a larger mix, so not a huge problem. Save Mart also has a lot of out of stocks but they are rather over-SKUed and so low volume that there are plenty of choices there.
WinCo has had chronic, regular out of stocks on their store brand items. Certain varieties of cookies and frozen items are often out of stock for a month or two (or more), and the big one is gallons of water which were completely out of stock for almost two months. I gave up on counting on WinCo for that and started buying at Walmart.

Fred Meyer does the same thing with shelf facings, but they seem to have far fewer out of stocks to begin with.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was in WinCo in South Reno today and the store conditions seem to be somewhat challenged. Still, this store looks better than most others in the immediate South Reno market area (Raleys ONE looks better since it does so little business). The drug/HBA aisle was a mess, nothing that sits on the shelves was faced, stuff was jamming up the self facing shelves, and there were many, many of out of stocks (concentrated in cold/cough but throughout the aisle). Under the cosmetics area on the bare flat shelf there were multiple misplaced items including some candy and some cat food. In all of my time visiting WinCo I have never seen that aisle look anything even remotely like this.