KFC Tests Funnel Cake Fries

Alpha8472

KFC Tests Funnel Cake Fries

Post by Alpha8472 »

KFC is testing funnel cake fries in various areas including Kansas City, Omaha, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.

https://www.brandeating.com/2022/11/kfc ... areas.html
storewanderer

Re: KFC Tests Funnel Cake Fries

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 3:47 pm KFC is testing funnel cake fries in various areas including Kansas City, Omaha, Arkansas, and Oklahoma.

https://www.brandeating.com/2022/11/kfc ... areas.html
Jack in the Box had a Funnel Cake that seemed pretty good some time ago but wasn't on the menu long. I don't recall them putting powdered sugar on it but maybe they did.

Those funnel cake fries will dry out fast unless KFC is adding another "fried to order" item.

I recall the Jack in the Box one was not in the fryer long, I think it was under a minute. It turned to a rock if it was in the fryer even 10-15 seconds past the timer and I think that issue may have been what did the item in.

Also KFC will need to keep that powdered sugar away from the rest of their items.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Jack In the Box did have funnel cakes with powdered sugar a long time ago around 2010.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

KFC was selling store baked cookies for a while but switched to a vending machine style air tight plastic sealed bag cookie at some point before or during COVID Pandemic. So it is interesting they are adding a store prep dessert item after eliminating the store prep cookies.

KFC needs to focus on its core menu items and cleanliness/service in its units, and figuring out a way to get brewed iced tea properly prepared and consistently available, before messing around with desserts. Also KFC's side items are terrible, they really need work. The mashed potatoes taste completely industrial, the macaroni and cheese is just horrible (they need to go to Chickfila, Popeyes, or Boston Market to get an edible one), the fries seem good until after you eat them then you realize they are way too salty... Popeyes is selling tea by the gallon and people are buying it yet KFC can't even get brewed tea consistently available. I know the KFC units in my area probably only do 20% the volume of the Popeyes, and more traffic certainly pushes demand, but KFC needs to look in the mirror and understand the various shortfalls with their products that are why their unit volumes are so low.

I go to KFC and I buy a chicken sandwich. I eat the sandwich plain since the KFC sauces are terrible. The sandwich itself, is excellent. Great crunchy filet (they have it in the heating bin then re-fry it for a minute when you order it hence "fried to order"), soft moist chicken, it is actually an excellent product. But I buy nothing else. No side, no drink, not even a biscult. Why? It is all terrible. I'd like to buy a side, drink, or biscuit sometimes, but those products at KFC are just flat out not worth buying.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I would love to see one of the chicken chains offer rolls instead of those hockey pucks called biscuits. KFC used to.