Minimum Wage Going Up In 27 States

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Minimum Wage Going Up In 27 States

Post by Alpha8472 »

Federal minimum wage is $7.25 and has been since July 24, 2009.

https://chainstoreage.com/states-raisin ... e-2023-are
storewanderer

Re: Minimum Wage Going Up In 27 States

Post by storewanderer »

At this point, I can't imagine many employers who are paying the federal minimum wage and able to get anyone to work at their businesses.

The federal minimum wage is irrelevant at this point.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: December 29th, 2022, 11:14 pm At this point, I can't imagine many employers who are paying the federal minimum wage and able to get anyone to work at their businesses.

The federal minimum wage is irrelevant at this point.
I will say this though... I took a vacation to Idaho last summer, a state where minimum wage is still $7.25 an hour. Compared to Washington, there are definitely signs that people are working at lower wages, this is reflected in the lower prices you see in some area stores and restaurants.

Washington's minimum wage is one that just went up to $15.74 an hour, including tipped restaurant workers. Idaho is still at $7.25 and has a minimum of $3.35 for tipped workers. I can't say whether or not this is how those restaurants actually pay workers in Idaho, but personally I would not work under a tip system like that. Oregon's minimum wage varies from $12.50-$14.50 depending on area and also applies to tipped workers.

With that said, Boise in particular has a housing market that does not reflect lower wages, and has seen explosive population growth, so it minimum wage isn't a factor in every line of work. But I still find it interesting how this hasn't gone up when surrounding states have a much higher minimum wage.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 6:27 am Washington's minimum wage is one that just went up to $15.74 an hour, including tipped restaurant workers. Idaho is still at $7.25 and has a minimum of $3.35 for tipped workers. I can't say whether or not this is how those restaurants actually pay workers in Idaho, but personally I would not work under a tip system like that. Oregon's minimum wage varies from $12.50-$14.50 depending on area and also applies to tipped workers.
The setup you mention in Idaho is fairly common for many states. In fact, the other two are probably more an exception and even then, only something that is occurring more recently.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 6:27 am
I will say this though... I took a vacation to Idaho last summer, a state where minimum wage is still $7.25 an hour. Compared to Washington, there are definitely signs that people are working at lower wages, this is reflected in the lower prices you see in some area stores and restaurants.

Washington's minimum wage is one that just went up to $15.74 an hour, including tipped restaurant workers. Idaho is still at $7.25 and has a minimum of $3.35 for tipped workers. I can't say whether or not this is how those restaurants actually pay workers in Idaho, but personally I would not work under a tip system like that. Oregon's minimum wage varies from $12.50-$14.50 depending on area and also applies to tipped workers.

With that said, Boise in particular has a housing market that does not reflect lower wages, and has seen explosive population growth, so it minimum wage isn't a factor in every line of work. But I still find it interesting how this hasn't gone up when surrounding states have a much higher minimum wage.
Restaurant wages are generally being paid as you describe in Idaho, and the prices tend to be a lot lower at sit down restaurants in Idaho as a result of these lower wages.

Realistically what the set up would be is you go to Idaho and you (customer) still tips because the server is paid basically nothing at 3.35/hour. But then when you go to WA where that server is being paid like 4 times as much as ID, you figure no tip is needed because that server is already getting $15.74 per hour. But that isn't how it works.

I do know that businesses in Idaho are suffering from the same difficulties with getting employees as most other places though. I would be curious to know how many businesses in Idaho actually pay 7.25 per hour. In Nevada, no businesses pay minimum wage anymore that I know of. Back in summer 2020 many fast food places and WinCo got "real generous" advertising $10/hr. Well that $10/hr was a joke, nobody applied, now they have to advertise $14-$16/hr and still it is not easy to get people. I kept watching those start wages go up another $1 since summer 2020. One place where this has been a problem in Nevada is places like school districts where bus drivers, lunchroom staff, etc. are on a pay scale and paid very low (like $12/hour) and they cannot get employees because the wage is so low, but since it is the state, it isn't as simple as just increasing the pay $1/hr the next few months, has to go through the school district board of trustees, lawmakers have to appropriate funding, etc. or so they say are their excuses for not getting those wages up.