LOI signed for new Albertsons in Ardmore, OK

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: LOI signed for new Albertsons in Ardmore, OK

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: January 10th, 2023, 6:14 pm Albertsons will probably cause Homeland problems. Supposedly there are some non-competes when Albertsons left markets, but I guess that wouldn't count here, and I am not clear how long those lasted.
With this store (unless it goes into SpinCo), Kroger will have a presence in every state but Minnesota.
biggins
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by biggins »

storewanderer wrote: January 10th, 2023, 6:14 pm
biggins wrote: January 10th, 2023, 8:00 am
storewanderer wrote: January 9th, 2023, 11:33 pm I guess this will give Kroger a single store in OK.

I can't tell what the Homeland in Ardmore was. It was one of the few Homelands that got a "good" remodel before AWG sold the chain. It does not look like a former Albertsons. Homeland never built a store of their own until very recently so it was someone else's store first...
The Homeland was originally a Winn Dixie Marketplace, which was constructed a couple of years before WD exited the TX market. It replaced two older WD stores in town, the newer of which was part of Mountain View Mall (now the Shops at Ardmore).
It looked a little small for a W-D Marketplace but this makes sense. Did Homeland get any other W-D Marketplace units?

I'm surprised how much money AWG put into this one- must have been one of Homeland's best stores.

Albertsons will probably cause Homeland problems. Supposedly there are some non-competes when Albertsons left markets, but I guess that wouldn't count here, and I am not clear how long those lasted.
I don’t think any other Marketplaces were built in Oklahoma. As it were, there were only Winn Dixie stores in extreme southern Oklahoma - if memory serves, they were in Ardmore, Madill, Marietta, Durant, Hugo and Idabel. Most were sold off to Homeland and/or closed.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

biggins wrote: January 10th, 2023, 7:53 pm
biggins wrote: January 10th, 2023, 8:00 am

The Homeland was originally a Winn Dixie Marketplace, which was constructed a couple of years before WD exited the TX market. It replaced two older WD stores in town, the newer of which was part of Mountain View Mall (now the Shops at Ardmore).
It looked a little small for a W-D Marketplace but this makes sense. Did Homeland get any other W-D Marketplace units?

I'm surprised how much money AWG put into this one- must have been one of Homeland's best stores.

Albertsons will probably cause Homeland problems. Supposedly there are some non-competes when Albertsons left markets, but I guess that wouldn't count here, and I am not clear how long those lasted.
I don’t think any other Marketplaces were built in Oklahoma. As it were, there were only Winn Dixie stores in extreme southern Oklahoma - if memory serves, they were in Ardmore, Madill, Marietta, Durant, Hugo and Idabel. Most were sold off to Homeland and/or closed.
It seems like Winn-Dixie applied the Marketplace stores to stores that weren't really Marketplaces, like this Winn-Dixie that occupied a former Safeway.
biggins
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by biggins »

pseudo3d wrote: January 10th, 2023, 8:09 pm

It seems like Winn-Dixie applied the Marketplace stores to stores that weren't really Marketplaces, like this Winn-Dixie that occupied a former Safeway.
Yes, that location looks exactly like the older WD in Ardmore on S. Washington that closed when the new Marketplace (now Homeland) opened. The mall, Marietta, and Madill locations were all the typical mid-80s WD store format that looked like this:

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/20 ... 092090007/

It appears Madill is now a Cash Saver but it is still operated by Homeland. (has original floor and a wall repaint)
Marietta is still Homeland (has original floor and a wall repaint)- some map images have this thing outside with the green "the new Homeland" signs so this must not have been a Nichols Dollar Saver Saver for long at all
Durant is now Pruett's Food and was previously that Nichols Dollar Saver referenced in the article
Cannot tell what happened to Hugo? Shows it was at 1800 East Jackson. Looks like it was a Stage recently.
Idabel- cannot tell what happened to it; doubt it was the current Cash Saver (which is not operated by Homeland).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

biggins wrote: January 11th, 2023, 7:16 am
pseudo3d wrote: January 10th, 2023, 8:09 pm

Yes, that location looks exactly like the older WD in Ardmore on S. Washington that closed when the new Marketplace (now Homeland) opened. The mall, Marietta, and Madill locations were all the typical mid-80s WD store format that looked like this:

The location I linked was opened in the early 1990s (though the building dates back to the 1970s). If anything, this shows how clueless Winn-Dixie was at running their companies, picking up less-than-stellar locations while running the new Marketplace brand straight into the ground. After Winn-Dixie left, the store ended up becoming a rotating cast of various Hispanic supermarkets.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:08 pm
The location I linked was opened in the early 1990s (though the building dates back to the 1970s). If anything, this shows how clueless Winn-Dixie was at running their companies, picking up less-than-stellar locations while running the new Marketplace brand straight into the ground. After Winn-Dixie left, the store ended up becoming a rotating cast of various Hispanic supermarkets.
I don't understand why they would put Marketplace branding onto one of those late 70's era Safeways. That model was smaller than a Marketplace, had an older/more dated feel, they kept the rock walled exterior... (Marketplace was a classic 90's stucco exterior)... I wonder if they applied that to all of the Appletree sites they bought (how many did they buy?)?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: January 11th, 2023, 9:04 pm
pseudo3d wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:08 pm
I don't understand why they would put Marketplace branding onto one of those late 70's era Safeways. That model was smaller than a Marketplace, had an older/more dated feel, they kept the rock walled exterior... (Marketplace was a classic 90's stucco exterior)... I wonder if they applied that to all of the Appletree sites they bought (how many did they buy?)?
Winn-Dixie and AppleTree had no overlap except in Waco and College Station-Bryan (though because AppleTree lasted the longest there they didn't buy any stores--and ultimately AppleTree outlived Winn-Dixie in that market). They had at least one other AppleTree-turned-Winn Dixie in north Waco (which ironically outlasted an Albertsons in the same area that only operated for two years), but I'm not sure if they had the same branding.

That said, I'm not sure how many former Safeway stores they picked up in 1987 (if any) and what they got.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Now that we see the Kroger gets the Albertsons name everywhere except CA, AZ, CO &WY, do you think this will open as an Albertsons before the merger is done? Or will it open as a Kroger?
biggins
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by biggins »

marshd1000 wrote: September 10th, 2023, 6:50 am Now that we see the Kroger gets the Albertsons name everywhere except CA, AZ, CO &WY, do you think this will open as an Albertsons before the merger is done? Or will it open as a Kroger?
I think it opens as an Albertsons, with an outside chance as a Market Street. At 50,000 SF, it's seems a little undersized for a Market Street, though. Nothing vertical on site yet, but site preparation is ongoing.