Raleys Major Remodel Reno-Keystone Ave.

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Raleys Major Remodel Reno-Keystone Ave.

Post by storewanderer »

Raleys is finally doing a major remodel to this store in Reno on Keystone. This is a very old building, the last time it was remodeled in the mid 90's was also a major remodel but after close to 30 years that job they did in the mid 90's is very run down now. They are closing the store through this summer in order to do this remodel. This store has been in very poor condition for many years and is a terrible representation of Raleys.

This was a store where Raleys closed pharmacy, it had no meat/seafood service counter, and a very undersized and dirty bakery/deli area. This store desperately needs this upcoming remodel and closing to do it is a great decision.

What is strange is I cannot find a construction permit for this upcoming remodel.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Raleys Major Remodel Reno-Keystone Ave.

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: January 10th, 2023, 1:02 am Raleys is finally doing a major remodel to this store in Reno on Keystone. This is a very old building, the last time it was remodeled in the mid 90's was also a major remodel but after close to 30 years that job they did in the mid 90's is very run down now. They are closing the store through this summer in order to do this remodel. This store has been in very poor condition for many years and is a terrible representation of Raleys.

This was a store where Raleys closed pharmacy, it had no meat/seafood service counter, and a very undersized and dirty bakery/deli area. This store desperately needs this upcoming remodel and closing to do it is a great decision.

What is strange is I cannot find a construction permit for this upcoming remodel.
Ask and you shall receive:

https://aca-prod.accela.com/ONE/Cap/Cap ... nspection=
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Asbestos... also will be interesting to see if they re-do the ceiling. This is a much needed project. I'd demolish it and start over.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: January 10th, 2023, 6:09 pm Asbestos... also will be interesting to see if they re-do the ceiling. This is a much needed project. I'd demolish it and start over.
Looking on HistoricAerials, this store was around as early as 1966. I-80 didn't go through Reno yet.
Area looks to be good demographics for Raley's.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 10th, 2023, 6:26 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 10th, 2023, 6:09 pm Asbestos... also will be interesting to see if they re-do the ceiling. This is a much needed project. I'd demolish it and start over.
Looking on HistoricAerials, this store was around as early as 1966. I-80 didn't go through Reno yet.
Area looks to be good demographics for Raley's.
It is more that side of town has one poor Safeway, a piss poor Save Mart, a marginal Save Mart, and a not great Wal Mart. Also multiple other Raleys which are all good-acceptable. No WinCo presence, no Kroger presence, no Grocery Outlet, no Whole Foods, no Sprouts. It is good side of town for Raleys mainly due to lack of better competition.
ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by ninersdd »

I wonder if Raleys to try to improve some of the other ones in the area, like the former Scolaris(SE Reno, Fernley, Yerington)?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ninersdd wrote: January 11th, 2023, 8:29 pm I wonder if Raleys to try to improve some of the other ones in the area, like the former Scolaris(SE Reno, Fernley, Yerington)?
Raleys spent some money on a new floor in Fernley a while back and it looks okay. McCarran/Mira Loma looks terrible and Yerington doesn't look great but they fixed all the burnt out neon in Yerington at some point. I suppose Tonopah doesn't matter but it really needs a wall job and new flooring around the perimeter.

I think this Keystone remodel has been a long time coming; it has been almost 30 years since the last remodel.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Went into this store.

One weird thing is they had a sign on the door that said "temporary store hours effective January 4... closing at 9 PM." Then below that was another sign that said they are closing January 15 for remodel.

Once in the store they have already taken out a fair amount of stuff and quite replenishing, also I don't think this store had been fully merchandised over on the drug side for quite some time after they closed pharmacy, self checkouts which were added within the past couple years have been shut off and are marked with closed signs. Bakery/deli had very little left. Meat/dairy had some stuff left. They had a large crew in the store in the process of packing up frozen foods. Center store grocery was still about 85% stocked but some items were running low. There was an area on some aisles with 4-6 ceiling tiles gone and a huge leak they were trying to contain; one entire aisle was inaccessible due to this issue. There were a few other assorted leaks throughout the store.

With the empty cases around perimeter this store looks even more beat up than it was when it was fully stocked. Raleys really got their money out of this building. The remodel is beyond overdue.

Also noticed some "lot cop" cameras in the parking lot. No other Raleys around here has those. Not even the Sak N Save. Someone I talked to said they had been there for over a year. I guess I hadn't been in this store for over a year.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They got this store reopened today. They slightly relocated the door, and also moved front end to 8 self checkouts (already malfunctioning tonight- great NCRs) instead of 4 as before, and a few regular checkstands. Slot machines got moved to a small part of the old pharmacy space and you can barely notice them.

They may have kept the freezers but I think all of the other refrigeration is new. They re-did all of the ceiling (still drop ceiling/tiles), lighting, floor, etc. All fixtures in all departments are new. Not sure if the shelves are new but they have a lot more self facing shelves throughout the store (had none of those before) and some of the aisles seem taller than before. They had a lot of dead space before over on the drug side and that is all filled in with aisles now that are tall and well stocked. They seem to have made a significant SKU expansion in this store on center store, mix and selection looks excellent in all categories. This store has radically more SKU selection than before the remodel. Huge improvement on this.

Looking at the departments, produce is still in the middle of the store like before, but they doubled the size of produce. Meat department was close to doubled in size as they kept the same wall space for meat, cut it in half to add a small service counter (store had no service counter before), then installed a freestanding cooler across from the wall to house additional self serve meat/all self serve chicken. Bakery is the same tiny bakery as before but they angled the coolers to house more items. Deli looks like it may have gotten a small expansion due to some interesting angling of the case and possibly taking a little space from bakery, but not much of an expansion; they put in a service Asian food hot case but no longer have a service hot fried food case which is interesting in this neighborhood as it seemed to move a lot of fried food before; the deli itself has a way wider variety of refrigerated items than before due to use of "shelves" in the case so this entire part of the store is a massive, huge improvement from before (which was not good in this store). So overall I'd say they also made significant improvements to the departments in this remodel overall by expanding the space, cleaning them up (bakery/deli were filthy looking before), and getting new better looking fixtures.

Sure wish they could circle back and fix the lousy Reno ONE Store with a similar merchandising philosophy to this store (actually expand mix when you do a remodel...) but they are still too proud to fix the Reno ONE fully and the adding normal items back to the bottom shelves is basically a joke and mix is still poor.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: May 25th, 2023, 11:48 pm They got this store reopened today. They slightly relocated the door, and also moved front end to 8 self checkouts (already malfunctioning tonight- great NCRs) instead of 4 as before, and a few regular checkstands. Slot machines got moved to a small part of the old pharmacy space and you can barely notice them.

They may have kept the freezers but I think all of the other refrigeration is new. They re-did all of the ceiling (still drop ceiling/tiles), lighting, floor, etc. All fixtures in all departments are new. Not sure if the shelves are new but they have a lot more self facing shelves throughout the store (had none of those before) and some of the aisles seem taller than before. They had a lot of dead space before over on the drug side and that is all filled in with aisles now that are tall and well stocked. They seem to have made a significant SKU expansion in this store on center store, mix and selection looks excellent in all categories. This store has radically more SKU selection than before the remodel. Huge improvement on this.

Looking at the departments, produce is still in the middle of the store like before, but they doubled the size of produce. Meat department was close to doubled in size as they kept the same wall space for meat, cut it in half to add a small service counter (store had no service counter before), then installed a freestanding cooler across from the wall to house additional self serve meat/all self serve chicken. Bakery is the same tiny bakery as before but they angled the coolers to house more items. Deli looks like it may have gotten a small expansion due to some interesting angling of the case and possibly taking a little space from bakery, but not much of an expansion; they put in a service Asian food hot case but no longer have a service hot fried food case which is interesting in this neighborhood as it seemed to move a lot of fried food before; the deli itself has a way wider variety of refrigerated items than before due to use of "shelves" in the case so this entire part of the store is a massive, huge improvement from before (which was not good in this store). So overall I'd say they also made significant improvements to the departments in this remodel overall by expanding the space, cleaning them up (bakery/deli were filthy looking before), and getting new better looking fixtures.

Sure wish they could circle back and fix the lousy Reno ONE Store with a similar merchandising philosophy to this store (actually expand mix when you do a remodel...) but they are still too proud to fix the Reno ONE fully and the adding normal items back to the bottom shelves is basically a joke and mix is still poor.
I had the opportunity to swing by this store today... I will say it was rather improved compared to my undergrad days at UNR when I would much rather drive out to Robb Drive or Mayberry than visit this location. Store seemed much better stocked than the ONE Store or even Carson City.