Sizzler

storewanderer

Re: Sizzler

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 5:35 am

High prices are becoming the norm at restaurants in Washington. For starters, the minimum wage is now at $15.74 an hour, which also covers tipped employees (restaurant workers) and is now the highest state minimum wage. We also have some of the highest fuel prices, which factors into the cost of transporting goods. This translates into higher prices at restaurants. Sizzler is far from alone with high prices, I have noticed this in every type of restaurant from fast food to locally owned restaurants. It gets even worse at locally owned restaurants which are not franchised or affiliated with any chain and it's common for a single meal to be in the $20-$30 range, and breakfast is starting to get to that range as well. $10+ for a fast food meal is common now also. I have been visiting restaurants much less these days.
I don't see how this kind of pricing is sustainable. When I see fast food meals going over $10 at what I consider to be lower quality fast food places, I don't see how that is sustainable either.

In reading reviews of that Longview Sizzler recently, and I don't know what has happened there lately, but I think it is time for it to go.

I am not sure why corporate Sizzler assumed operations of some of the previously franchised OR sites that failed in the middle of COVID but seems to be letting this recent batch of restaurants just close (Auburn, CA; Sparks, NV; Lakewood, WA). Auburn one would definitely be worth saving in my opinion, the other two maybe not. Corporate Sizzler does not seem to often assume failed franchise units so maybe they were somehow tied to the leases on some of the OR units (since not all reopened) and had no choice but to assume operations.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Unless we see a lengthy period of deflation, this isn’t going to change anytime soon. Restaurant prices have been increasing as rent, build outs and wages swell. And food manufactures have used high restaurant prices to increase grocery pricing.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: January 26th, 2023, 10:17 pm Unless we see a lengthy period of deflation, this isn’t going to change anytime soon. Restaurant prices have been increasing as rent, build outs and wages swell. And food manufactures have used high restaurant prices to increase grocery pricing.
Then we are going to see a lot of restaurants close...

Something has to give.

I do think some prices are coming down. Last week in NorCal, Save Mart and Safeway both front paged Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts- any size package- from service meat counter, no limit. Save Mart at 1.98/lb and Safeway at 1.88/lb. Have not seen that kind of deal in a while. Safeway did a deal a couple months back requiring a coupon, requiring you to buy at service meat, and limit 4 pounds at maybe 1.77/lb- very restrictive.
Super S

Post by Super S »

It looks like the Longview Sizzler, the last in Washington, has now closed. I noticed no lights on when I drove by it today, and while I have not seen any kind of official announcement, Google is now showing it as permanently closed, and it is no longer listed on Sizzler's website. It had a long run, but was long past its prime.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The recent reviews on that Longview location have just been so strange. Not exactly all negative but just strange reviews in general. I am not surprised it closed based on the reviews. It is unfortunate as based on the volume of reviews it seemed quite a few customers were still interested in patronizing the business.

It is too bad the Sizzler Corporate did not take the location over. I don't know why they took over those few failed franchise OR locations they took over, I find that very odd, but good for those locations as Sizzler Corporate actually runs units very well so I expect those units will stay in business and be good examples of what Sizzler can be.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: June 20th, 2023, 10:48 pm The recent reviews on that Longview location have just been so strange. Not exactly all negative but just strange reviews in general. I am not surprised it closed based on the reviews. It is unfortunate as based on the volume of reviews it seemed quite a few customers were still interested in patronizing the business.

It is too bad the Sizzler Corporate did not take the location over. I don't know why they took over those few failed franchise OR locations they took over, I find that very odd, but good for those locations as Sizzler Corporate actually runs units very well so I expect those units will stay in business and be good examples of what Sizzler can be.
I first moved to the area in 1988, and have eaten at this location on and off for many years. For a long time, this was a very well run location, but I think the ownership changed at some point, seems like the early to mid 2010s. It was gradually declining for a while, then Covid hit, and I don't think this location ever really recovered. Sizzler Corporate might actually be able to breathe new life into this place if they were interested. Longview leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to restaurants, and I think this Sizzler has potential under different management/ownership. They did have an established base of customers, but there were many, like myself, who moved on.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Is Sizzler “corporate” still around?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: June 21st, 2023, 1:47 pm Is Sizzler “corporate” still around?
Yes, they exist, and they do a good job operating their restaurants. The OR units are all corporate operated. The unit in Sacramento on Madison is corporate operated (the other unit on Advantage is not corporate operated, it is a franchise, and prices are like 40%+ higher than the Madison unit's prices).

This Sizzler franchisee on Advantage with the very high pricing is a franchisee called BMW Management out of Temecula, I believe they are the largest Sizzler franchisee. They had been doing a 3.5% California Surcharge but appear to have stopped that practice. They are also a great operator if you can get past their pricing.

Sizzler is one of those chains- if you get to a good Sizzler, it is really good.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: June 21st, 2023, 11:16 pm
Sizzler is one of those chains- if you get to a good Sizzler, it is really good.
Agreed. In all honesty, they were pretty consistent with their main menu items over the years. The buffet/salad bar is where things got really inconsistent. For the most part, I felt it was terrible and not worth paying extra for.

Sizzler needs to go back to their roots. I think if Sizzler focused more on their main menu, and brought back things such as the fresh seafood menu they once had, I think they could be successful again. In their heyday, they usually were a good value. I do remember times when there was a line going out the door and a full parking lot at the Longview location.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Here is something that may interest you. Flagstaff AZ has both a surviving Sizzler and a Coco’s a pine cone’s throw from each other (near NAU) The Sizzler gets low marks in online reviews, the Coco’s gets high marks.