Ohio/Dollar General and Price Scanning Errors

storewanderer

Ohio/Dollar General and Price Scanning Errors

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/o ... g-lawsuit/

Are scan errors actually legal in Ohio? I find that hard to believe. I guess I am lucky lately the various price scan errors I've had at Dollar General out west have been fixed without issue with a proper price override.

Cannot even believe some of the quotes in this article:

"The Dollar General corporate office and its legal team responded on Jan. 9 with a motion to dismiss the lawsuit from the state. Court records show Dollar General followed up with a repeated motion to dismiss on Thursday, and claimed the state showed no proof with its accusations. Further, the defense added that overcharging at its stores is actually legal.

“The allegations are so vague and ambiguous that Dollar General cannot reasonably be required to frame a responsive pleading with any substantive value,” wrote Kimberly E. Ramundo, an attorney representing Dollar General. “The alleged price discrepancies are not actionable under the [Consumer Sales Practices Act] because they are governed by a separate statutory regime, which not only permits price discrepancies but also subjects them to regulatory oversight.”"
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Ohio/Dollar General and Price Scanning Errors

Post by veteran+ »

Wonderful company!

All the more reason for me to never step into one of their stores even if I am starving and broke!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: January 27th, 2023, 12:41 pm Wonderful company!

All the more reason for me to never step into one of their stores even if I am starving and broke!
I suggest visiting some of their stores to take a look at their concept and see how they work. Also to take a hard look at their private label program. They are an interesting concept. No need to buy anything though. They have no store standard and how the store is, is completely dependent upon the manager and the employees. In some of these remote locations the situation is they find someone who lives nearby to manage the store and a few employees who live nearby and they get what I'd call a stable operation that can execute reasonably well. I really like their mix and for the locations really like their pricing. But then in many other cases without stable manager/staff, it turns into a complete disaster.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Nah, I'll take a pass.

My TIME is too valuable to be playing Russian Roulette when shopping.

Hit and miss is not for me.

:D
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:18 am Nah, I'll take a pass.

My TIME is too valuable to be playing Russian Roulette when shopping.

Hit and miss is not for me.

:D
There is one down in Inglewood near LAX. It isn't a bad little store, for a Dollar General, I would call it an excellent operation. Considering the area they are doing an exceptional job with the store.

Across the road is a small format El Super in an old Lucky. They call it El Super Fresh. I'll go with the "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything" saying here.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Sometimes you have to call it what IT is even when it's bad.

Especially in business where they get away with so much. :x
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I really like the location nearest my house. It’s on my way in, and off the highway so I don’t even have to worry about having to cross the highway or all that traffic of merging back on.

Usually I use it for picking up small things like soda, cereal or light bulbs, etc.

It’s always organized and clean. Staffing is a little odd, sometimes it seems there is only one employee on duty, other times it seems there.

Some items seem like a ripoff, calling it dollar general seems like a discount store, where really it’s just a regular store. Prices more in line with Publix and often worse in things like frozen foods.

Definitely not in the realm of ripoff that CVS is though!!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: January 29th, 2023, 8:04 am I really like the location nearest my house. It’s on my way in, and off the highway so I don’t even have to worry about having to cross the highway or all that traffic of merging back on.

Usually I use it for picking up small things like soda, cereal or light bulbs, etc.

It’s always organized and clean. Staffing is a little odd, sometimes it seems there is only one employee on duty, other times it seems there.

Some items seem like a ripoff, calling it dollar general seems like a discount store, where really it’s just a regular store. Prices more in line with Publix and often worse in things like frozen foods.

Definitely not in the realm of ripoff that CVS is though!!
The store you describe highlights their location strategy perfectly. They really know how to pick and position locations.

It is not unusual to only see one employee on duty. Lately in one unit I go to where the current store manager who seems to basically be in the store at all times was one of the first cashiers on day one that the store opened many years ago now, basically they are so hard up at getting staff, they just have employees when the employees want to be there. It is really bad. Not sure what would happen if that store manager quit.

Their pricing on perishable food does not seem competitive. Some locations they self distribute perishable food and some locations they used a distributor. The locations around me started to self distribute these items about 2 years ago. What is strange is I thought their pricing used to be more competitive, back when they used the distributor. I'm not sure if they just decided they want more margin on the stuff or they have added costs with this self distribution they are doing and are passing those added costs on to the consumer.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

There's one near our place in Michigan, and I go about every six months and swear never again--more often than not I end up empty-handed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Romr123 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 12:14 pm There's one near our place in Michigan, and I go about every six months and swear never again--more often than not I end up empty-handed.
For me Family Dollar is "that store." I do a lot better at Dollar General. But there is no standard; these stores are basically very loosely run. Anything goes.