Stater Bros. Closing Escondido, CA on 1/8

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Stater Bros. Closing Escondido, CA on 1/8

Post by storewanderer »

That is great to hear they are really doing a quality job on Oceanside. That store given its history really deserves a proper remodel. I am not sold on their new decor but we will see how it looks.

The few times I was in that store, it had decent traffic (considering its condition and lack of fresh offerings, I am surprised more than about 5-10 people would be shopping there at once but it usually had closer to 20-25 customers at once).

I think A&P liked those decors with food wallpaper too.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

ClownLoach wrote: January 15th, 2023, 11:22 pm Interesting update tonight on the Oceanside Stater Bros. that is undergoing the full "out to the bare walls and starting over again" remodel. This store was receiving the 2019 Stater Bros. decor (the one that looks eerily similar to Albertsons colorful lifestyle) and they had already completed the graphics and flooring in the new produce section back in December. All of the graphics and vinyl plank flooring has been removed. They are repainting and are going to be using the recently announced decor with all the wallpaper pictures of food (the one that looks right out of the 1980s. It also looks like they're getting the first concrete floor in a SB in the center store aisles. They are doing it right (because of the age of the building) and have installed a cool plastic self leveling concrete in center store. Feels like you're tap dancing down the aisles. But it has been placed with precision edges around the perimeter so I am assuming that the concrete is not going to be covered but polished and sealed instead. The perimeter will get a different vinyl plank. They have a bunch of pallets of the flooring sitting up front to acclimate (a required step) but it isn't nearly enough to do all aisles. I asked why the store wasn't done yet (it was due to grand reopen end of January) and the cashier said that SB decided to make changes and now it should be completed end of March.
With that 2019 Stater Bros. decor, it looked like Stater was going more upmarket, looking at a Vons they took in Pasadena, and looking at the former Albertsons in Encinitas that they remodeled.
Off Topic
What decor did the Albertsons in Carlsbad Village have before Supervalu remodeled it? I can imagine you or rwsandiego would know.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 5:25 pm...
Off Topic
What decor did the Albertsons in Carlsbad Village have before Supervalu remodeled it? I can imagine you or rwsandiego would know.
Oooh I don't know. I didn't make it up to Carlsbad very often. I lived in urban San Diego (Normal Heights - between Kensington and University Heights) and my friends were in Solana Beach, Encinitas, and later Vista.

Sorry to hear Stater changed course on the gut-rehab store. That 2019 interior is very nice. I've seen it at the Encinitas location.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: January 30th, 2023, 8:50 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 5:25 pm...
Off Topic
Oooh I don't know. I didn't make it up to Carlsbad very often. I lived in urban San Diego (Normal Heights - between Kensington and University Heights) and my friends were in Solana Beach, Encinitas, and later Vista.

Sorry to hear Stater changed course on the gut-rehab store. That 2019 interior is very nice. I've seen it at the Encinitas location.
I think Carlsbad had the upscale Larry decor.
That was this decor:
IMG_4472.JPG
Or this one:
IMG_1813.jpg
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 5:25 pm
ClownLoach wrote: January 15th, 2023, 11:22 pm Interesting update tonight on the Oceanside Stater Bros. that is undergoing the full "out to the bare walls and starting over again" remodel. This store was receiving the 2019 Stater Bros. decor (the one that looks eerily similar to Albertsons colorful lifestyle) and they had already completed the graphics and flooring in the new produce section back in December. All of the graphics and vinyl plank flooring has been removed. They are repainting and are going to be using the recently announced decor with all the wallpaper pictures of food (the one that looks right out of the 1980s. It also looks like they're getting the first concrete floor in a SB in the center store aisles. They are doing it right (because of the age of the building) and have installed a cool plastic self leveling concrete in center store. Feels like you're tap dancing down the aisles. But it has been placed with precision edges around the perimeter so I am assuming that the concrete is not going to be covered but polished and sealed instead. The perimeter will get a different vinyl plank. They have a bunch of pallets of the flooring sitting up front to acclimate (a required step) but it isn't nearly enough to do all aisles. I asked why the store wasn't done yet (it was due to grand reopen end of January) and the cashier said that SB decided to make changes and now it should be completed end of March.
With that 2019 Stater Bros. decor, it looked like Stater was going more upmarket, looking at a Vons they took in Pasadena, and looking at the former Albertsons in Encinitas that they remodeled.
Off Topic
I would agree with you that it looked more upscale, but it really was very, very similar to colorful lifestyle especially when you factor in the switch to the sideways aisle hangers. Couple that with how many ex Albertsons stores Stater owns and the fact that many of the Albertsons stores with the same layout were getting remodeled into colorful lifestyle at the same time - I could see both chains realizing there was a problem. At the same time Stater abruptly moved to the new food wallpaper interior it would appear that Albertsons switched almost entirely to either a colorful repaint of existing lifestyle decor or the dreary Modern (Florida) decor. I couldn't see either one starting a trade dress complaint with the other, but I could see a friendly phone call being made from one to the other and a "gentleman's agreement" that they would both stop installing similar packages in their overlapping markets. I would not be surprised if Stater goes back and repaints all of their 2018-19 decor locations so that they have less of a resemblance; the colors of paint used were more similar than the decor lettering/signage which is a problem. Stater and Albertsons seemed to have the exact same wall paint color in produce, meats, dairy and liquor with colorful lifestyle/Stater 2018-19. Stater is now moving to a brighter color scheme and could easily tweak the last package without remodel expense or replacement of signs, just repaint the avocado green in produce to maybe like a bright pear green etc.