Albertsons closing Beaverton, OR Store

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Albertsons closing Beaverton, OR Store

Post by storewanderer »

Huh, another one...
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons closing Beaverton, OR Store

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote:Huh, another one...
The reason given for all of the most recent closures is a lease rate disagreement. This is sounding a lot like Sears and Kmart.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

arizonaguy wrote:
storewanderer wrote:Huh, another one...
The reason given for all of the most recent closures is a lease rate disagreement. This is sounding a lot like Sears and Kmart.
Actually, I've done a bit more research into the most reason closures and many of them have been within 1-3 miles of a nearby Safeway property. This particular store is 1.6 miles from the nearest Safeway. If the store is marginally profitable it seems that the strategy is to operate the "duplicative" stores until the lease ends and then close them. The closure in San Diego in January, the Poulsbo store, the Genudari's closure, and the Colorado Springs store all fit this model. I'd expect further rationalization of the "duplicative" stores over the next several years when the leases come up.

It's actually the same strategy Kroger employed in Arizona after the Fry's / Smith's / Smitty's combination.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I am expecting closures in Vancouver (where Albertsons is down to one location now in Salmon Creek) and Battle Ground, WA. Albertsons and Safeway both have stores a mile or less apart in both locations, in both locations Albertsons has the newest buildings. I think, in these two locations, whatever locations remain will have the Safeway banner on them as Albertsons has a really weak presence here now. Interesting because Albertsons built several new stores in the area in the mid-90s, and the recently closed Padden Parkway store was not really that old, maybe 10-11 years old.