Cocos and carrows

Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Cocos and carrows

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:22 am Dennys seems to have highly variable pricing.

I just pulled pricing for a unit in Carson City, NV
Grand Slam 9.99
Patty Melt 10.99
They also have a 10 item value menu with an "everyday value slam" at 5.99.
Soda/Coffee 2.99

Looked up the road 30 minutes to Reno- Plumb Lane- seems to have mostly the same prices as above. even .10 or .20 lower on some.

Moved another few miles to Reno-Wells Ave. (really unpleasant location) for these items.
There is a value menu but it only has about 6 items, no breakfasts.
Patty Mealt 11.79
Grand Slam 12.59
Soda/Coffee 3.59

Also pulled a Sacramento menu:
Location at 300 Bercut is offering the 5.99 Everyday Value Slam
Grand Slam 13.49
Patty Melt 12.99
Soda/Coffee 3.69

Did Norms stop its 3% "cost of doing business in California" surcharge? Norms only does business in California so that was really screwy.
Interesting, I didn't think any location was still offering the $5.99 Everyday Value Slam. The last time I went to Denny's was a couple years ago when I was visiting my parents in Michigan - we were lured by that special, but turns out that Denny's wasn't honoring the special. It went under soon after, the last Denny's in Metro Detroit.

Food pricing has swelled to the point that there can be large deviations between one location and another. The Farmer Boys in Santa Ana charges $9.99 for a Cobb Salad but it's $12.99 in Laguna Hills and $13.99 by John Wayne Airport. Kinda sad when a family of 4 can save $10-$20 by driving a few minutes out of their way.

Norms still has the 3% charge. So does El Torito, another CA-only business...
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Bagels wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:15 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:22 am Dennys seems to have highly variable pricing.

Grand Slam 9.99
Patty Melt 10.99
Soda/Coffee 2.99

Looked up the road 30 minutes to Reno- Plumb Lane- seems to have mostly the same prices as above. even .10 or .20 lower on some.

Moved another few miles to Reno-Wells Ave. (really unpleasant location) for these items.
Patty Mealt 11.79
Grand Slam 12.59
Soda/Coffee 3.59

Grand Slam 13.49
Patty Melt 12.99
Soda/Coffee 3.69

Did Norms stop its 3% "cost of doing business in California" surcharge? Norms only does business in California so that was really screwy.
Interesting, I didn't think any location was still offering the $5.99 Everyday Value Slam. The last time I went to Denny's was a couple years ago when I was visiting my parents in Michigan - we were lured by that special, but turns out that Denny's wasn't honoring the special. It went under soon after, the last Denny's in Metro Detroit.

Food pricing has swelled to the point that there can be large deviations between one location and another. The Farmer Boys in Santa Ana charges $9.99 for a Cobb Salad but it's $12.99 in Laguna Hills and $13.99 by John Wayne Airport. Kinda sad when a family of 4 can save $10-$20 by driving a few minutes out of their way.

Norms still has the 3% charge. So does El Torito, another CA-only business...
Metro Detroit has a few "better" Denny's type restaurants in Elias Brothers Big Boy and Ram's Horn not to mention all of the Coney Island restaurants that essentially sell what Denny's does with better quality and lower prices.

Out here in Phoenix Denny's / IHOP are fairly strong because there isn't a local chain that does what Denny's / IHOP does.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

arizonaguy wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:30 pm Out here in Phoenix Denny's / IHOP are fairly strong because there isn't a local chain that does what Denny's / IHOP does.
Yes, and interestingly enough, Coco's / Carrows sister restaurant Shari's does much the same in the PNW (with Black Bear Diner being a strong secondary player).
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

arizonaguy wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:30 pmMetro Detroit has a few "better" Denny's type restaurants in Elias Brothers Big Boy and Ram's Horn not to mention all of the Coney Island restaurants that essentially sell what Denny's does with better quality and lower prices.

Out here in Phoenix Denny's / IHOP are fairly strong because there isn't a local chain that does what Denny's / IHOP does.
I'm not disagreeing -- that Denny's was charging over $9 for a grand slam whereas you could've driven down the street to Phoenix Coney Island and got their version for $4 (which also includes toast, and you can add on a beverage for much lower cost). But the decline of Denny's locally is shocking -- their were several dozen when I was a kid, and it isn't like Ram's Horn or Big Boy have grown in that time period (both have shrunk). Probably pivots back toward pricing and how high chain restaurant pricing has gotten in recent years.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Grand Slam 9.99
Patty Melt 10.99
Soda/Coffee 2.99

Patty Mealt 11.79
Grand Slam 12.59
Soda/Coffee 3.59

Grand Slam 13.49
Patty Melt 12.99
Soda/Coffee 3.69

Just curious how Washington's increase in the minimum wage has affected things. Here are online prices from Kelso, WA:
Grand Slam: $13.19
Patty Melt: $13.99
Coffee/Soda $3.69

The Kelso location has been open 30+ years and has been kept up well, it's one of their better locations.

And to the south in Oregon: (11950 N. Center Street/Jantzen Beach):
Grand Slam: $13.99
Patty Melt: $12.99
Coffee/Soda: $3.79

The current Denny's at Jantzen Beach is a former Newport Bay restaurant. Denny's once had an older location next to the freeway, the building has been demolished but the neon sign is still intact and in use.

And for comparison, The Denny's near the Boise, Idaho airport, which is also a longtime location. Keep in mind Idaho's minimum wage is still $7.25 an hour.
Grand Slam: $9.99
Patty Melt: $10.99
Coffee/Soda: $2.99

All are showing the Everyday Value Slam for $5.99 which might be a nationwide promotion right now.
Local wages are definitely a factor in menu pricing.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Super S wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:41 pmJust curious how Washington's increase in the minimum wage has affected things. Here are online prices from Kelso, WA:
Grand Slam: $13.19
Patty Melt: $13.99
Coffee/Soda $3.69

The Kelso location has been open 30+ years and has been kept up well, it's one of their better locations.

And to the south in Oregon: (11950 N. Center Street/Jantzen Beach):
Grand Slam: $13.99
Patty Melt: $12.99
Coffee/Soda: $3.79

The current Denny's at Jantzen Beach is a former Newport Bay restaurant. Denny's once had an older location next to the freeway, the building has been demolished but the neon sign is still intact and in use.

And for comparison, The Denny's near the Boise, Idaho airport, which is also a longtime location. Keep in mind Idaho's minimum wage is still $7.25 an hour.
Grand Slam: $9.99
Patty Melt: $10.99
Coffee/Soda: $2.99

All are showing the Everyday Value Slam for $5.99 which might be a nationwide promotion right now.
Local wages are definitely a factor in menu pricing.
I'm sorry, but $22-$23 (including tax/tip) for a Grand Slam and coffee is a total rip off, even in this inflationary environment.

Looks like the Everyday Value Slam is nationwide. I find a location in Tustin offering it, but it seems to be the only one locally. That's one of the last 24-hour locations, so probably does pretty well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:00 pm

I'm sorry, but $22-$23 (including tax/tip) for a Grand Slam and coffee is a total rip off, even in this inflationary environment.

Looks like the Everyday Value Slam is nationwide. I find a location in Tustin offering it, but it seems to be the only one locally. That's one of the last 24-hour locations, so probably does pretty well.
Yes that is a total and absolute rip off but as long as people will keep paying it (I wouldn't even pay half that amount), this will continue.

The 5.99 Everyday Value Slam doesn't seem so bad to me. Probably still over 1,000 calories if you use butter and syrup on the pancakes, more than enough for breakfast.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

Another clousre (maybe two) I missed it looks like the San Ysidro location has closed. And the Flagstaff location (a franscised location) has been taken off of the online ordering page
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Retailuser wrote: February 12th, 2023, 3:03 pm Another clousre (maybe two) I missed it looks like the San Ysidro location has closed. And the Flagstaff location (a franscised location) has been taken off of the online ordering page
I had been trying to figure out if Flagstaff was charging a 3% credit card fee and didn't think they were... so it was a franchise, that explains why... franchisee made a good decision there to not charge that fee. Too bad they still failed.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

Or are they trying to get rid of the franchises?
Like Carrows in Monterey park that was a franchise and it is closed. I am just thinking that as it seems like a lot of closures lately.