Safeway Portland- sectioning off high theft items/separate checkout

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Safeway Portland- sectioning off high theft items/separate checkout

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: January 20th, 2023, 8:55 am
storewanderer wrote: January 20th, 2023, 1:16 am
SamSpade wrote: January 19th, 2023, 9:35 am
Possibly you were confusing the nearby Ross Dress for Less, which did leave downtown but is nearby in Lloyd Center.
Not only that, but it is being relocated to a larger space...
https://press.nordstrom.com/news-releas ... s-downtown
That article is from 2005....
So much for that, I didn't notice the date.

At least it is still open.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local ... 5b6d8fc780

Now even some Kroger family chains are doing it at some locations,with or without a merger.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:17 pm https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local ... 5b6d8fc780

Now even some Kroger family chains are doing it at some locations,with or without a merger.

Looks like the same type of set up as the Safeway. Must be some loss prevention consultants recommending this set up to these chains.

This will work about as well as Wal Mart's caged in cosmetics departments with a separate register. The separate registers in my area haven't been staffed in years and the departments are 40-75% out of stock due to theft. I expect this to end the same way- the separate registers won't be staffed and/or it won't cut the theft down and in the end you'll have these weird segregated areas that are full of out of stocks.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 11:24 pm
norcalriteaidclerk wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 6:17 pm https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local ... 5b6d8fc780

Looks like the same type of set up as the Safeway. Must be some loss prevention consultants recommending this set up to these chains.

This will work about as well as Wal Mart's caged in cosmetics departments with a separate register. The separate registers in my area haven't been staffed in years and the departments are 40-75% out of stock due to theft. I expect this to end the same way- the separate registers won't be staffed and/or it won't cut the theft down and in the end you'll have these weird segregated areas that are full of out of stocks.
This is nothing new for Kroger. Several Fred Meyer stores in the Portland area have had certain items locked up for a while now, and the Gateway location, which we have discussed before, basically has walled off the entire apparel department and still has some clothing items in locked cases.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:52 am
storewanderer wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 11:24 pm

This is nothing new for Kroger. Several Fred Meyer stores in the Portland area have had certain items locked up for a while now, and the Gateway location, which we have discussed before, basically has walled off the entire apparel department and still has some clothing items in locked cases.
The HBA department at the Gateway store is also completely separated with its own checkout.