The death of Sav-on?

Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: The death of Sav-on?

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 10:25 pm My guess is the name Albertsons is getting divested but the names Osco and Sav-On aren't getting divested. To avoid confusion they are just getting all of the Sav-On signs down.

Not really any real reason to go remove these signs now that they are up... I understand doing it as part of a remodel but otherwise the signs aren't bothering anything or anyone. By the same token they don't serve much purpose.

In these stores removing the signs without a remodel, are they putting a "pharmacy" sign elsewhere on the building?
I think @wnetmacman has it right - it's been almost 20 years since the standalone Sav-On concept was divested. Since then, the Sav-On name has been slapped onto Albertson's stores but nothing distinguishes the Pharmacy otherwise. Probably Alberton's decided it was time to let sleeping dogs lie... doubt it's merger related.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:08 pm

I think @wnetmacman has it right - it's been almost 20 years since the standalone Sav-On concept was divested. Since then, the Sav-On name has been slapped onto Albertson's stores but nothing distinguishes the Pharmacy otherwise. Probably Alberton's decided it was time to let sleeping dogs lie... doubt it's merger related.
I suspect out in the wild we will continue to see these signs randomly on some stores in some divisions until remodels occur.

Initially when they split Sav-On and parts went to CVS, the thought was that if they kept the Sav-On branding on their stores, it may bring in customers who previously used Sav-On that turned into CVS. I think they may have had a bit more confidence in the Sav-On name than was deserved. They being Supervalu.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:50 pm
Bagels wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:08 pm

I suspect out in the wild we will continue to see these signs randomly on some stores in some divisions until remodels occur.

Initially when they split Sav-On and parts went to CVS, the thought was that if they kept the Sav-On branding on their stores, it may bring in customers who previously used Sav-On that turned into CVS. I think they may have had a bit more confidence in the Sav-On name than was deserved. They being Supervalu.
In DFW, most Sav-On branding has been removed over the past few years as remodels have taken place. However, there are still a few stragglers around. Additionally, I have visited several stores where the remainder of the aforementioned "remodel" was light at best. The most extensive remodels by far have been entire banner conversions to Tom Thumb (3 or which have taken place so far). Outside of that, aside from stores which were being upgraded to new decor (often Grocery Palace or Santa Fe decor holdouts), the Albertsons banner has generally seen little investment around DFW.