Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Walmart observations

Post by Romr123 »

what utter twaddle! Dudebro indeed.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I don't know how widespread it is yet, but the local Walmart here has finally started to implement electronic receipts, although they don't seem to offer an email option, only SMS with a link to the receipt.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: February 1st, 2023, 8:05 pm I don't know how widespread it is yet, but the local Walmart here has finally started to implement electronic receipts, although they don't seem to offer an email option, only SMS with a link to the receipt.
That will sure mess up the receipt check.

They really need to figure out a way to eliminate the receipt check that some stores can't seem to let go of.
Super S

Post by Super S »

mjhale wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:41 am
Brian Lutz wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:25 am It looks like these are produced by Made By Gather, the same company that produces Bella brand appliances. The overly slick website and tthe picture of the dudebro CEO with an office full of Supreme merchandise tells me that they're in the business of selling fashion accessories disguised as appliances, which seems to suggest that most of this stuff won't last much beyond whatever warranty it comes with (and I can't seem to find any info on a warranty anyway.)
The headline of fostering connection in the kitchen says a lot about the company even before you get down to dudebro (great descriptor BTW) in his kitchen. And what does this say about the American consumer? We buy cheap crap just because of the celebrity name attached to it? No wonder we have such a disposable culture now. I'm glad I still have my parents original Farberware from the 1960s and 1970s that is actually well made and will last a lot more years.
This all reminds me of how Target will attach designer names to what is otherwise some cheaply made Chinese small appliance or other product. People actually buy the stuff, but, at least at Target, the designer names have a relatively short lifespan. Walmart seems to be trying something out of Target's playbook here.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Romr123 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:17 pm what utter twaddle! Dudebro indeed.
The guy reminds me of the dudebro who acquired the Bon-Ton department store names and "re-launched" them. There was a website that sold stuff and one re-opened Carson's store, which has since closed. At least "Made by Gather" has launched brands that are still around.

I don't see much difference between outfits like this and Popeil and Ronco from back in the day.

Regarding Walmart's attempts at becoming more like Target, I'm reminded of K Mart a couple of decades ago.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: February 6th, 2023, 7:48 pm

Regarding Walmart's attempts at becoming more like Target, I'm reminded of K Mart a couple of decades ago.
There is an image of Wal Mart attempting to become more like Target then there is the reality of what it is like in Wal Mart's stores and you realize they are in no way, shape, or form becoming anything like Target. Many of these products, I never even see in Wal Mart. And I go into many Wal Mart locations frequently. Or I may see the items in a couple locations.

Kmart had a good thing going with the Martha Stewart product line. That was solid and it worked. Then came Joe Boxer but that was not the same Joe Boxer stuff previously sold at major department stores, it was a lower quality version and had items in categories the brand had never been used in before. The later celebrity tie ins after bankruptcy 1 seemed to be marketed but quite narrow in terms of limited SKU depth, only clothing, and not really overstocked; while they supposedly had some success with those tie ins I think they were reaching a limited customer segment with those product lines (young, etc.).
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

agree about KMart's work with Martha Stewart. Martha Stewart Omnimedia had a good bit of expertise and control over the product lineups, and actually exercised it...I had a friend who worked for an outdoor soft furnishings (patio furniture cushion) company and she said that MSO was far and away the most careful of their customers as to QA/QC and design. MSO also let them do good/better/best for basic domestics which let them have a really credible offer (still are using some of the Martha Stewart sheets I got there 15 years ago.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

The Martha Stewart items turned out to be more expensive (less profitable) than expected for KMart but they were very successful in terms of sales and the same was true of the other celebrity lines they had. These lines probably brought in people who had had enough of the poor quality house brand stuff KMart had been selling previously.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: February 7th, 2023, 7:41 am The Martha Stewart items turned out to be more expensive (less profitable) than expected for KMart but they were very successful in terms of sales and the same was true of the other celebrity lines they had. These lines probably brought in people who had had enough of the poor quality house brand stuff KMart had been selling previously.
Not only were these items successful from a sales perspective but they helped keep a certain customer going into Kmart who otherwise wouldn't have. This product line was perfect for the middle aged consumer who was looking for functional durable product as opposed to the "trendy" product offer at Target or the "cheapest" product offer at Wal Mart.

Execution was a real problem for Kmart in many cases... but the products worked nicely at newer stores in better areas (not many of those were left after the first bankruptcy closures... probably what doomed the line).