McDonalds- no drink refills

storewanderer

Re: McDonalds- no drink refills

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: January 29th, 2023, 7:59 am I’ll look out for that. One location in my town is supposedly going to be remodeled and not even have an ordering option other than the kiosks. I don’t see that going over well. That particular location is from 1993 and had a major remodel in 2012, so I’m kind of skeptical that it’s getting remodeled again. It already has the bland box look anyway.
So far the remodels put two cash registers up front with a big ugly black tile wall behind them. The locations seem to not have an employee at these registers. Some locations have gone so far as to install a service bell. One location had an elaborate sign that said something to the effect of "welcome- please place your order at the kiosks behind you, or press button for assistance." But the majority of locations don't do that and just flat out ignore customers who stand at a register to order hoping they give up and go to the kiosk.

I think McDonalds is serious losing touch with its customer. Also their kiosks are by far the worst fast food ordering kiosks I've ever used. They are slow, cumbersome, difficult to use, interface slowly, and are just the most painful experience. The kiosks 20 years ago at Carls and Jack in the Box (both scrapped due to lack of customer interest in using kiosks) were light years better, faster, and easier to use than today's McDonalds kiosk. Now today there are kiosks at Taco Bell and Wendys, also those gas stations with kiosks like Wawa or Sheetz, and all of those kiosks are in my opinion quick and easy to use.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Both McDonalds here basically already have that look with two registers with a blank wall behind them. Really never liked that look since it came out.

I don’t find the kiosks that bad, the ones around here at McDonalds seem about as good as the Taco Bell ones. I don’t think I’ve encountered any at a Wendy’s unless it was one of their nicer remodels maybe.

I think the setup you are describing is going to have bad results for McDonalds, particularly given many other chains don’t even have kioks available. It just seems it will cause them to lose business and I don’t really see why they see a benefit to it other than cheapness.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Speaking of drinks, watched some old trading videos over the weekend and noticed it was common for these places to offer things like hot cocoa, hot tea or milk back in the 80s and 90s. This seems to be something you don’t see today other than offering regular or chocolate milk with kids meals. And I do think the McDonald’s chocolate milk is awful. It tastes nothing like you buy at the grocery store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

McDonalds does have hot tea but the tea bag they use is exactly the same as the big cheap private label tea bag at most grocery stores (in a box of 100 for $2, or maybe now it is $4 with how prices are).

Their chocolate milk tastes a little watery doesn't it? I think they have a special formula with much less sugar to help the nutrition on the kid's meal look better. A lot of other places out west have an ultra pasturized Shamrock Farms or Darigold Chocolate Milk in the kid meal and that one tastes a lot better.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Yes the ones I’ve gotten are the plastic “Milk Jug” and it tastes very watered down.