Panera Introducing Milkshakes

bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Panera Introducing Milkshakes

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:54 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:47 pm During the Unlimited Sip Club free trial, the drink area was trashed. The drinks such as the charged lemonade and teas were great, but the entire area was sticky.
This is unacceptable. For the prices Panera charges for its products, everything needs to be in tip top condition in their locations.

I notice this new Panera building in Carson City feels cheap, like a fast food place, and uncomfortable. The atmosphere is more like a Taco Bell or some lower end fast food place. The atmosphere does not match the prices or the "clean" menu items they offer. I do not see the atmosphere appealing to the target Panera customer either.
Went to Panera in Carson last night... what a mistake. Their execution is horrible, and they were out of most beverages. Still have not heard anything about the milkshakes though.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I saw a review on YouTube and the reviewer from Texas said it was good. However, they are very rich and the milkshakes seem to be only available in Texas right now. Panera kind of appeals to be people who want healthier trendy foods. The milkshake idea seems to invite high fat temptation that many of these people try to shun.

It might work in some areas like Texas, but it might drive away customers in health conscious places like California.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:46 am I saw a review on YouTube and the reviewer from Texas said it was good. However, they are very rich and the milkshakes seem to be only available in Texas right now. Panera kind of appeals to be people who want healthier trendy foods. The milkshake idea seems to invite high fat temptation that many of these people try to shun.

It might work in some areas like Texas, but it might drive away customers in health conscious places like California.
This is just not "on brand" at all for Panera.

I don't think a Chicken Sandwich with a crispy chicken breast using frozen pre-made pre-fried patties reheated in an oven (I hope an oven... and not a microwave or a vat of boiling water...) and charging double what other places charge for a fresh chicken sandwich that is breaded by hand in the location and then properly fried... is "on brand" for Panera either.

I think generally speaking the Panera chain is ridiculously overpriced for its current offer and lacking in new ideas in recent years. I understand COVID and "Work from Home" really, really hurt them as office workers were a huge target customer base for them, so all of these changes we are seeing with different/questionable fit items, dumpy looking new build restaurants, drive throughs, and other dilution of the Panera offer/experience, it remains to be seen how well this all will work.

Panera is designing new units with a huge focus on digital, but, why would someone order delivery from Panera? You can replicate Panera by going to the grocery store produce area and buying a bagged salad kit, going to the grocery store bakery/deli and getting a Panera baguette and a container of Panera Soup or Mac/Cheese and reheat it yourself, or various other brands of said items...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Panera is really a joke. Tonight in Carson City the Chickfila was so packed it had no parking and a line out the door to order. The Panera meanwhile, still has no lighted signs on its building, no traffic in drive through, and 2-3 customers inside. To its credit the facility looked clean and neat. Prices are so outrageous I didn't buy anything. Also no orders for delivery drivers/doordash were occurring either. Waited in a 10 person line to pick up an app order from Chickfila and that counter was staffed by 3 employees (just for app orders and delivery drivers).

I don't know what kind of a franchisee this Panera franchisee who has Carson City is, but they should lose the franchise.

I cannot believe a business that has been open for this many months can't figure out how to turn on its exterior signs.

Feels like this place is just trying to fail.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I haven’t eaten at Panera In nearly a decade I’d guess. I did try it a few times and liked it as an alternative to fast food.

The one here still always seems to be extremely busy at all times. The parking lot is awful to navigate as it’s just very narrow with parking only on one side. It’s is the end of a small strip with it on one end, a Starbucks on the other end, and a Mattress Firm in the middle.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

storewanderer wrote: November 26th, 2022, 12:49 am

This is just not "on brand" at all for Panera.

I don't think a Chicken Sandwich with a crispy chicken breast using frozen pre-made pre-fried patties reheated in an oven (I hope an oven... and not a microwave or a vat of boiling water...) and charging double what other places charge for a fresh chicken sandwich that is breaded by hand in the location and then properly fried... is "on brand" for Panera either.

I think generally speaking the Panera chain is ridiculously overpriced for its current offer and lacking in new ideas in recent years. I understand COVID and "Work from Home" really, really hurt them as office workers were a huge target customer base for them, so all of these changes we are seeing with different/questionable fit items, dumpy looking new build restaurants, drive throughs, and other dilution of the Panera offer/experience, it remains to be seen how well this all will work.

Panera is designing new units with a huge focus on digital, but, why would someone order delivery from Panera? You can replicate Panera by going to the grocery store produce area and buying a bagged salad kit, going to the grocery store bakery/deli and getting a Panera baguette and a container of Panera Soup or Mac/Cheese and reheat it yourself, or various other brands of said items...
I tried the Chicken Sandwich earlier in January--wow what a disappointment. Dainty, it was but absolutely nothing special and way way way too expensive...even the McDonalds' premium sandwich was better. You're exactly right--off brand. I don't think of Panera as having anything to offer for buns (they're brand is fresh-baked and/or parbaked bread, not sweaty brioche/pretzel buns) or chicken (re-heated from frozen without either a roaster or a fryer); or even packaging (they don't use clamshells or boxes for sandwiches normally) It was a bit of a trainwreck. Won't make that mistake again (and I lived in St. Louis in the late '80s when Breadco was the best thing since sliced bread...their locations in St. Louis which are still St. Louis Bread Company are massively busy and haven't been drive-through-ized (people would revolt).