TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) Official Thread 2023: Finally the end?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) 2023: Finally the end?

Post by ClownLoach »

pseudo3d wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 11:57 pm
ClownLoach wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 11:02 pm
TW-Upstate NY wrote: January 6th, 2023, 3:23 pm
What a contrast to a kitchen range I purchased a few years ago at a local appliance store. They are one of the largest independent appliance and furniture retailers in this part of NYS and I've purchased from them before. Anyways, I buy the item and there was a nominal charge for delivery and it's scheduled for a specific day and time. The day arrives and at some point I get a call from the store saying they had issues with their delivery trucks that morning (it was the end of December and brutally cold so none of them started) and they would be late but they would still be there that day. I was OK with that. They call again after that and say the truck that my stove was on had gotten stuck in snow down a dead end road and they would still be there but it would be very late and at that point they offer me a deal. They said if I still wanted the item today they would deliver it but if I would be willing to reschedule for a few days later they would refund the delivery charge. Everybody wants to save a few dollars here and there so I said sure. THAT'S how you handle an issue. I'll absolutely do business with these people again.
What GE is doing will be the end of mom and pop stores that stand by their brand. GE will not be shipping physical inventory to anyone. They will control all deliveries to their own contracted people. The mom and pop store will look incompetent when GE screws up, but they have no control.
Probably a result of the fact that GE no longer owns their appliance division, it's 90% a company out of China and 10% KKR. It has been that way since 2016.
It's entirely owned by Haier now. The boxes actually say GE, a Haier Company. But Haier actually made decent product although they were very limited in what they imported to the US; most of their products were compact refrigerators. What I do not understand is the desire for GE/Haier to control all of the distribution and delivery as those are expenses most companies would rather dump onto their retailers. They are also using subcontractors for the actual delivery. The Costco folks I spoke with were careful to be respectful to the brand but basically said they have more complaint calls about GE than everything else they sell and deliver combined.
storewanderer

Re: TransformCo (Sears/Kmart) Official Thread 2023: Finally the end?

Post by storewanderer »

Rumor has it the Sears in Burbank, CA is reopening. Coming Soon signs have been posted on the closed store.

Not entirely sure what they plan to sell.

They are also currently hiring for a Kmart Warehouse in Arvin, CA. This warehouse according to their job posting is at 5205 Wheeler Ridge Road. I see no evidence online linking this address to Kmart, Sears, Transformco, etc.

I am not sure what may be in this warehouse.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Kmart is now going down to two stateside locations.

https://www.bizjournals.com/southflorid ... -down.html
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

BatteryMill wrote: February 16th, 2023, 5:37 pm Kmart is now going down to two stateside locations.

I thought they agreed to downsize, not close (though the downsizing would leave a tiny store).
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

pseudo3d wrote: February 16th, 2023, 6:04 pm
BatteryMill wrote: February 16th, 2023, 5:37 pm Kmart is now going down to two stateside locations.

I thought they agreed to downsize, not close (though the downsizing would leave a tiny store).
It's a bit perplexing. Perhaps the lease term was broken, or there were serious negatives for Kmart to continue operating. Then again there was a scuffle where At Home was not in the lease plans at all, and Kmart has not budged on downsizing the store.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 25th, 2023, 11:43 pm Rumor has it the Sears in Burbank, CA is reopening. Coming Soon signs have been posted on the closed store.

They are also currently hiring for a Kmart Warehouse in Arvin, CA. This warehouse according to their job posting is at 5205 Wheeler Ridge Road. I see no evidence online linking this address to Kmart, Sears, Transformco, etc.

Hate to say but there are a lot of fake job ads out there these days on the 3rd party job boards like indeed. Many exist as phishing scams to steal personal information. "You've been hired please fill out this background check information especially the parts with SSN, copies of ID, and bank and credit card info or the background check will fail. Scan and email back to our random Yahoo email address that's totally legit corporate email"
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: February 17th, 2023, 6:23 am
storewanderer wrote: January 25th, 2023, 11:43 pm Rumor has it the Sears in Burbank, CA is reopening. Coming Soon signs have been posted on the closed store.

Hate to say but there are a lot of fake job ads out there these days on the 3rd party job boards like indeed. Many exist as phishing scams to steal personal information. "You've been hired please fill out this background check information especially the parts with SSN, copies of ID, and bank and credit card info or the background check will fail. Scan and email back to our random Yahoo email address that's totally legit corporate email"
The job ads I saw were straight on Transformco's website.

Not a third party website.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

BatteryMill wrote: February 16th, 2023, 6:25 pm It's a bit perplexing. Perhaps the lease term was broken, or there were serious negatives for Kmart to continue operating. Then again there was a scuffle where At Home was not in the lease plans at all, and Kmart has not budged on downsizing the store.
Update - looks like according to a Facebook post, the Miami Kmart downsizing has proceeded and is moving to its new space in March. Conflicting reports.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Further signs it's not happening: Looks like the aforementioned article has been retracted since the author was unaware of the Kendale Lakes Kmart downsizing. An Instagram account has been created by store management, indicating investment in the Miami location.
Groceteria
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by Groceteria »

Greensboro NC. Another one bites the dust. Liquidation started today with no prior warning.

69146CD9-50AC-4E78-9C2C-CCFF693E1796.jpeg