Tom Thumb to enter Waxahachie

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Tom Thumb to enter Waxahachie

Post by veteran+ »

I will not shop at Walmart and Cos. because of what they did to my Mom and other reasons that are not appropriate to discuss in this forum.

I have never shopped at H.E.B so I will defer to your evaluations.

The large format is what attracted me.

:-)
biggins
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by biggins »

veteran+ wrote: February 10th, 2023, 9:06 am I will not shop at Walmart and Cos. because of what they did to my Mom and other reasons that are not appropriate to discuss in this forum.

I don't think the north Texas H-E-Bs fail to impress, especially against near price competitors in Winco and Walmart. That said, they do have older stores that need investment (looking at you, 2222 and Burnet), and many smaller, unimpressive stores in towns of less than 10,000. I appreciate that they are a well-run regional chain that deeply understands their diverse market. How that performs outside of Texas and northern Mexico we may never know.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

biggins wrote: February 10th, 2023, 1:31 pm
veteran+ wrote: February 10th, 2023, 9:06 am I will not shop at Walmart and Cos. because of what they did to my Mom and other reasons that are not appropriate to discuss in this forum.

I don't think the north Texas H-E-Bs fail to impress, especially against near price competitors in Winco and Walmart. That said, they do have older stores that need investment (looking at you, 2222 and Burnet), and many smaller, unimpressive stores in towns of less than 10,000. I appreciate that they are a well-run regional chain that deeply understands their diverse market. How that performs outside of Texas and northern Mexico we may never know.
How that performs in even El Paso we may never know.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

So now Tom Thumb is entering Forney, another DFW suburb, which already has a Kroger Marketplace, a Brookshire, and a 120k square feet H-E-B undergoing construction (the Tom Thumb is only half the size at 62k square feet). Note that in the case of divestments there is no ready candidate to take it over, which wouldn't open well after the divestments anyway.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... in-forney/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: February 28th, 2023, 3:47 pm So now Tom Thumb is entering Forney, another DFW suburb, which already has a Kroger Marketplace, a Brookshire, and a 120k square feet H-E-B undergoing construction (the Tom Thumb is only half the size at 62k square feet). Note that in the case of divestments there is no ready candidate to take it over, which wouldn't open well after the divestments anyway.

They can divest a store that is under construction. The current Ralphs in Los Osos was under construction as Lucky/Sav-On and was divested during construction. It was divested after ASC installed refrigeration.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: February 28th, 2023, 5:50 pm
pseudo3d wrote: February 28th, 2023, 3:47 pm So now Tom Thumb is entering Forney, another DFW suburb, which already has a Kroger Marketplace, a Brookshire, and a 120k square feet H-E-B undergoing construction (the Tom Thumb is only half the size at 62k square feet). Note that in the case of divestments there is no ready candidate to take it over, which wouldn't open well after the divestments anyway.

They can divest a store that is under construction. The current Ralphs in Los Osos was under construction as Lucky/Sav-On and was divested during construction. It was divested after ASC installed refrigeration.
Slight correction: The H-E-B has not begun construction yet, it has strictly received planning department and city council approval. One key driver in the store's construction timeline is a railroad crossing which needs to be approved and installed to the north of the site to allow the site to connect to the eastbound service road of Highway 80. I do fully expect that the H-E-B will move forward in the next year or two though.

As far as other competition goes, the nearby Brookshires is a holdover from before Kroger and even Walmart came to the area, and it tends to pull relatively low traffic. It would not surprise me if this store were to close over the next few years.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

I wonder if Brookshire's will buy ACI/Kroger stores up for divestiture?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 28th, 2023, 6:21 pm I wonder if Brookshire's will buy ACI/Kroger stores up for divestiture?
Texas is a spot where the stuff being divested probably is going to be somewhat challenging for a new entrant to take stores over (like a Raleys or a Save Mart). I don't see enough stores in Texas being divested to be able to support their own distribution so whoever gets Texas is going to need pre-existing distribution already. Brookshire, AWG, Homeland (will get eaten alive in the competitive markets) strike me as likely candidates.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: February 28th, 2023, 11:32 pm Texas is a spot where the stuff being divested probably is going to be somewhat challenging for a new entrant to take stores over (like a Raleys or a Save Mart). I don't see enough stores in Texas being divested to be able to support their own distribution so whoever gets Texas is going to need pre-existing distribution already. Brookshire, AWG, Homeland (will get eaten alive in the competitive markets) strike me as likely candidates.
All the potential divested stores in Texas are in competitive markets, and all three of those candidates are not going to do well in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Interestingly, Albertsons seems to be continuing to expand in DFW, with a new store going in at the former Red Bird Mall in 2025, though with almost $6M in incentives and a 50k square feet store. It's said to be a food desert but not really. There's a Kroger 1.75 miles to the west and WinCo a mile to the south. What's more, near the WinCo H-E-B has purchased a defunct Albertsons and the adjacent strip center but, as usual, made no movement on it. The closest Tom Thumb about 3 miles to the southwest.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 28th, 2023, 6:21 pm I wonder if Brookshire's will buy ACI/Kroger stores up for divestiture?
Brookshire has had a mixed bag of results from past Albertsons purchases:
The four MS stores, well, tanked. To put it mildly.
They operate two as Super 1 Foods, in Natchitoches, LA and Tyler, TX. Both stores first converted to Brookshire's first. Natchitoches' only real competition has been Walmart for over 20 years; Winn Dixie left in 1997 and A&P in 1995. Brookshire could open in a garbage dump in Tyler and it would do well (that's their hometown).
There is an abandoned Albertsons store in Monroe, LA on US165N just down from a flagship Brookshire's. Brookshire built a new store rather than take over the Albertsons store.

On the other hand, their Kroger purchases have done relatively well:
One store on the north side of Tyler was quite successful, having been Super 1 Foods for two decades before being replaced by a post-2012 store. Two stores in Monroe still operate and have done extremely well also as Brookshire's.