California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Pavilions Long Beach converting to Vons

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 4th, 2023, 10:35 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:08 pm

It is a multi door dock already and lots of space for a flat pallet load dock. Anyway not happening, they were changing medical groups out in those suites.
It will make a nice Ralphs or Kroger shortly.

Space is much too big for Save Mart, not a good fit for that particular location.
And the current Vons a mile south will make a good Save Mart or whoever else buys it. No way it doesn't divest being on the opposite corner from a very busy Ralphs.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: February 26th, 2023, 1:00 am I think they could have built something special with Fresh Fare and maybe they were on their way to doing that 20 years ago, but clearly between then and now something has really gotten lost in translation with regards to what exactly is Fresh Fare even supposed to stand for.

In my view Fresh Fare should have upgraded bakery, deli, staffed liquor, upgraded meat/seafood with more prepared items and higher quality offerings, produce that is from smaller suppliers/more specialty produce, less private label in center store, higher staffing levels throughout the store, and less/more refined looking marketing. There should be NO clutter in the store AT ALL (especially no cardboard shipper displays ANYWHERE and NOTHING in the middle of any aisles). The current Fresh Fare just doesn't measure up. Objectively speaking the Albertsons version of Pavilions checks a lot more of those boxes than Ralphs "Fresh Fare" does.
Two days ago, on the way home from my college, I popped into the Ralphs "Fresh Fare" in Carlsbad to get coffee cake and matzos for Passover. They had an endcap for the Kosher for Passover products (matzos, horseradish, etc.) 4 or 5 aisles away from the ethnic foods aisle (has a kosher section about the size of the desk I am typing this post on).
There are a few differences with this store compared to a regular Ralphs: an organic salad bar, a Murray's Cheese department, and nicer interior.
The Carlsbad Ralphs was built in 1988 or so, and was expanded to be a Fresh Fare in 2008. There is a Rite Aid (ex-Payless) in the same shopping center. I wonder if this store or the Vons on El Camino/Aviara is going into SpinCo/Save Mart. This Ralphs does inferior business compared to the Vons on Aviara.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I thought that Carlsbad Ralphs did fairly well... but it appears it may not be operated properly.

The Ralphs in La Jolla has a great Kosher program with separate service counters, etc. The Ralphs Kosher program does feel a bit "formula" based since they have it in at least one other store I can think of somewhere up near Los Angeles, probably multiple others.

Also if you go to Las Vegas the Smiths on Rampart has an excellent Kosher program with separate service counters. This since it is the only Smiths with Kosher in-store service departments is a complete one off and basically a store created and operated program and they do an excellent job with it. The Rampart Smiths is past due for remodel so it will be interesting to see how they handle the Kosher area when the store gets the remodel it is overdue for. The Kosher department operates in what would have previously been the hot Chinese food area/kitchen and something else (not sure what) but they completely demolished those to build it.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

This is a pretty standard add-in for Kroger. This sounds like the Toco Hills store in Atlanta and the Bue Ash store outside of Cincinnati.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2023, 3:51 pm I thought that Carlsbad Ralphs did fairly well... but it appears it may not be operated properly.
The Carlsbad Ralphs has no sign on the back exterior, facing I-5. It is a bit hard to get to from the freeway, that explains why it does OK business (most of it from housing developments west of the store, and tourists going to the beach).
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 7th, 2023, 12:31 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 6th, 2023, 3:51 pm I thought that Carlsbad Ralphs did fairly well... but it appears it may not be operated properly.
The Carlsbad Ralphs has no sign on the back exterior, facing I-5. It is a bit hard to get to from the freeway, that explains why it does OK business (most of it from housing developments west of the store, and tourists going to the beach).
Every time I've visited the Carlsbad Ralphs it is very busy with 5 to 6 registers open. Store has always been one of the better stores I've seen Ralphs operate.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: April 7th, 2023, 6:03 am This is a pretty standard add-in for Kroger. This sounds like the Toco Hills store in Atlanta and the Bue Ash store outside of Cincinnati.
How many Kroger locations have this add in? Have you seen they both sell the exact same items/prices and have the same hours of operation? Because even two different Ralphs sell very different in store made items at their Kosher areas and have different pricing/department hours for their Kosher areas.

And the Smiths Kosher area at that one store is also completely different items, pricing, hours, etc.

Albertsons used to have a couple of these in OR/WA and they seemed a bit more streamlined/standardized. One store is closed, not sure about the other.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

F&E was famous for doing stupid things like that. NO sign on the sides or back of store when it was exigent to have them.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: April 8th, 2023, 8:13 am
F&E was famous for doing stupid things like that. NO sign on the sides or back of store when it was exigent to have them.
I'm pretty sure most new businesses in the CA I-5 coastal zone in OC and SD county have heavy signage restrictions. I know the famous retro Dennys sign in San Clemente for example is irreplaceable - if they ever tore it down they could not replace it. Although those laws may not have many teeth. The outlet mall was not allowed to post freeway signage and they chose to defy the law and do so anyway.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

So after all that?

Last time I was there, about two months ago, it was about a week away from finishing the remodel.

I just checked online and it's still a Pavilions. In fact their location ad is for Pavilions shows the introduction of Harris Ranch prime grade beef and See's Candies.

Sounds like they decided it wasn't worth the expense to rebrand. Nor change to Pavilions decor and expanded liquor. If I'm up that way again soon I'm really curious what they did about the floor. I'm sure they weren't expecting to find gray, and Terra cotta, and literal pink concrete all used for past trenching projects which would make this the all time worst concrete floor conversion. My guess is that they had to give up and lay down vinyl "wood" or something.