Dominos sales slow as delivery business declines

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Dominos sales slow as delivery business declines

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 023-02-23/

Dominos has missed quarterly sales targets as their delivery business declined as a result of price increases, higher delivery fees and shortages of delivery drivers. This has caused the chain to lower global growth estimates for the next year. They do claim that the labor shortages are improving though.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Dominos sales slow as delivery business declines

Post by SamSpade »

This explains this weekend's Wall Street Journal video... and their descent into offering cheesed tater tots in the "two for" promotion they've held onto for years.

I personally prefer them over Pizza Hut after the last few disastrous tries with 'the hut,' including a $7 delivery fee the other day. My local pizzerias charge $3-5 (one was free until the recent gas price uptick) and use much better ingredients for only a little more money than these corporate chains.

At the end of the day, Domino's did a better job at becoming a technology company framed around pizza and adjacent foods than the others so I would tend to go for it first. (also, their dine in areas aren't shabby; despite no table service)
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Domino's has raised prices excessively. I used to order about once a month. Somehow my order went from about $21 with tip to over $40 before tip in less than 2 years. It's too much for mediocre pizza when I can go to a local real New York style and get a larger pie for much less. Every time recently I've thought of ordering a Domino's pizza I wind up grabbing a pizza from the freezer.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It isn't very hard to make pizza. Various stores have Pizza Dough. Whole Foods dough is $4.99 now, but Trader Joe's is only 1.49. Both are great. The Kroger deli pizza dough is terrible and the Safeway one is sort of okay (both around 2.99 now).

Biggest key is finding a cheese that you find to be of high quality and a sauce that is to your liking.

I am surprised the pizza chains do as well as they do with their pricing, slow speeds, etc.

When I travel I like to look for a good "local" pizza place that does thin crust slices. I can usually find one. And they are usually reasonably priced.

Also I hate to say this but I thought Amazon Fresh had excellent pizza slices for the 1.99 price point...
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

ClownLoach wrote: February 25th, 2023, 8:14 pm Domino's has raised prices excessively. I used to order about once a month. Somehow my order went from about $21 with tip to over $40 before tip in less than 2 years. It's too much for mediocre pizza when I can go to a local real New York style and get a larger pie for much less. Every time recently I've thought of ordering a Domino's pizza I wind up grabbing a pizza from the freezer.
I only order Domino's when there are good coupons and always pick it up myself as they have a shop in my town (strangely enough, its only two doors down from a 'ma and pa' which seems to dominate the pizza business in town and has a whole branded delivery fleet). Sometime earlier this year, they killed their $7.99 3 topping carryout deal (and once in a while the price would go lower) by cutting it down to one topping and other deals seemed to have dried up. On a deal forum a few days ago, I saw they were running some coupons again ($9.99 large 5 topping, or $7.99 with 2 toppings), I wonder if this is in reaction to their poor numbers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

$7.99 isn't too bad for one topping if they actually put a fair amount of toppings on it. Domino's sauce isn't bad either. I think I prefer Domino's to Pizza Hut or Papa John's but these are not places I go often. I can't remember the last time I went to any of them, probably 5 years on Domino's when a new unit opened that ran some good promotions and made some really good pizzas its initial months. I probably had Pizza Hut Express somewhere since then but can't recall when/where.

I received a mailer today from Round Table advertising a 22.99 Large. Unreal.