Walgreens Closures Continue in San Francisco

storewanderer

Re: Walgreens Closures Continue in San Francisco

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 12th, 2023, 1:53 pm The prescription pharmacy is designed to be totally rodent free. There are no spaces for rodents to enter. There are no gaps in the floor or under doors.

They do not allow food, the prescription drug areas are totally clean, dust free, organized, and neat. There are cameras recording every angle and every pill count. If a pill drops on the floor it is to be destroyed. Filling prescriptions is designed to be more sterile and orderly than food preparation. Each pill is examined and accounted for. Even if one pill is missing, the computer is supposed to track the numbers.
I've always wondered why I have observed food consumption in some pharmacies when I thought they were supposed to be sterile. That nasty thing where there is one pharmacist all day and the pharmacy was expected to be open all day and not allowed to close for lunch. Now that most chains close pharmacy for lunch, hopefully that issue has been addressed.

Pharmacies in Nevada have a built in employee restroom. Could be another entry point.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Of course some pharmacies may violate their own company's food policy. There are some pharmacy chains where food is allowed only for the pharmacist if the pharmacist cannot leave the pharmacy for a break room.

CVS considers the entire drugstore to be a pharmacy so the pharmacist can go to a break room and technically the prescription pharmacy can still be open.

Theoretically rodents could enter a pharmacy through the ceiling tiles if the pharmacy has such a drop ceiling. The pharmacy should seal all holes and have ceiling tiles closed shut.

Some pharmacies do have a single person restroom, but the only entrance for rodents would be a floor drain or the toilet. It is possible for a rodent to enter through a filled toilet. They can swim.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Yeah, I think food policy in the past was broken under the excuse of "have to keep pharmacy open... and have to eat..." sort of thing.

I often wonder some stores I go into, I won't name specific chains, but some pharmacy operators seem to have some extremely dirty stores. I look at the stores and they do not smell clean (stale air), bathrooms are filthy, counters seem filthy at the pharmacy, credit card readers appear to never be cleaned (was sure happy when said chain turned back on Contactless payments a few years ago), carpeted floors are rarely cleaned, and I wonder just how can the pharmacy work area possibly be clean.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I have seen this many times at the major chains.

Dirty, dusty (thick), deeply stained carpets, cobwebs (major), windows never cleaned, soiled plastic dividers, truly soiled and sticky pins pads and lots more.

I can think of one in particular that was on Ramon & Sunrise in Palm Springs. Beautifully inspired mid-century building near the large Ralphs (kind of a marketplace store but not really).
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/w ... s/3173352/

The Sacramento presence is relatively spotty as it is(even before closure rounds in 2016 and 2019)yet I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the lone remaining Citrus Heights Rite Aid will outlast at least one of the three locations Walgreens has there.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: June 28th, 2023, 10:39 am https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/w ... s/3173352/

The Sacramento presence is relatively spotty as it is(even before closure rounds in 2016 and 2019)yet I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the lone remaining Citrus Heights Rite Aid will outlast at least one of the three locations Walgreens has there.
They still have quite a few former Rite Aid units to close in the south/east. Those seem to be closing steadily, a few every month. I wonder if those are part of the 150 closures or the 150 closures are a different group of closures. Many Walgreens are approaching 20 years old, lease decisions will be made and I expect the amount of closures by August 2024 may only be 150 closures but after August 2024 I am not sure what could happen...
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2023/08/14 ... g-berkeley

I believe one of the remaining Berkeley Walgreens locations staying open was at one point a Thrifty or Payless, RAD had two Berkeley locations when the integration of Thrifty Payless got underway but hasn't had Berkeley locations in at least fifteen years likely longer.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walgreens has many stores where the pharmacy is closed on weekends. The problem is that Walgreens purposely understaffs their pharmacies and wants to close down pharmacies on weekends. If the pharmacy is closed, then fewer customers come in to make purchases. Then the store sees fewer sales and is on the path to being closed down due to low sales. It is a death spiral.

So Walgreens is adding a pharmacy to a store that didn't have a pharmacy before?
Last edited by Alpha8472 on August 16th, 2023, 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 15th, 2023, 8:41 pm Walgreens has many stores where the pharmacy is closed on weekends. The problem is that Walgreens purposely understaffs their pharmacies and wants to close down pharmacies on weekends. If the pharmacy is closed, then fewer customers come in to makes purchases. Then the store sees fewer sales and is on the path to bring closed down due to low sales. It is a death spiral.

So Walgreens is adding a pharmacy to a store that didn't have a pharmacy before?
Except that many people go into the store looking for items that are not prescriptions, thus they will go get those with no regard to the pharmacy being open. So, they still get customers.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager