Raley’s closing South Lake Tahoe (Village) location

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Raley’s closing South Lake Tahoe (Village) location

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: March 12th, 2023, 5:05 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 11th, 2023, 11:55 pm The store is closed now, there was a snow issue with the roof. Will be interesting to see if they reopen. I hope for their sake they don't have a NNN lease, would sure be lousy to have to pay roof repairs on a building you are about to vacate.

The store was evacuated today due to the roof issue.
Yeah, that is a rough one for Raley’s if it’s NNN. I’m fairly certain the landlord has a replacement tenant in mind, otherwise, they would have negotiated with Raley’s a bit more.
It is a big space. I am surprised Raleys did not retain 30k square feet for a liquor store/snack shop/deli. But there are a lot of issues with this shopping center. Parking has been a disaster. The security contracted by the property owner cannot control/enforce the parking lot it seems. The smaller stores that have up front/building front parking seem to control their own spaces but the big open lot in front of Raleys was once very heavily patrolled and vehicles would actually get towed after having their tires chalked a couple times, but I have not seen that kind of enforcement in many years.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There is some pretty serious structural damage to this store. Curiously the part that seems to be damaged is where the original store was joined with an expansion area (side of the store with bakery/deli- used to be an old something else, I forget what, some department store I think). It is like the area where they joined the old structure and the expansion area together just sort of like collapsed or something.
ninersdd
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by ninersdd »

Just saw on the news here in Sacramento that a Target will replace it. It hasn't opened since the roof caved in.

I know not on topic, but I wonder what will happen to the old Kmart in Emerald Bay?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Here is an article:
https://www.sfgate.com/renotahoe/articl ... 917885.php

63,000 square feet so it will be interesting to see how the size works. The Raleys felt bigger than that to me but I guess it was just a long, long, shallow store.

Raleys sold so much liquor out of this store. Not sure who is going to take the liquor sales over but it sure won't be Target.

Raleys didn't feel like it cared about this store for years. It was dirty, poorly maintained, poorly staffed, and while it had a lower pricing structure it was just not appealing. They cut so much mix out of it, fewer and fewer locals shopped there. I used to like to buy lunch at their deli, but the past few years I stopped because the cleanliness of the department concerned me. The only category they seemed to be trying in was liquor, which took forever to buy due to the understaffed front end.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

On paper,it seems interesting that Target chose this building over the old Grant City turned K-mart at Emerald bay junction(Raley's remains open there),but possible drawbacks with the latter may have factored in beyond the fact that the warehouse was in a standalone building and the possibility that Grant City/K-mart wasn't that much bigger.Knowing Target this building will get a thorough gut job(as in stripped down to the walls)that would be more thorough than that expansion job that may have been done poorly in the first place.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Target has decided they want the tourist customers so they picked this location. I will be interested to see how this location actually performs and how they merchandise it. Every tourist will see this store. It will be like a billboard. And that is just what Target likes.

If they wanted their store to focus more on "local" customers, they would have selected the old Kmart location. That is a location many but not all tourists drive past but is easily missed and perhaps noticed only as the tourists are leaving town and have no need to go there.

Both locations have a lot of pros and cons. Parking is kind of an issue at both but a way bigger issue at the building Target has selected. I think the Kmart building is in better condition though.

Overall for Target being Target I think they selected the right location. But I'm not sure how the location will perform, that remains to be seen.

It will add a source of lower cost groceries for South Lake Tahoe which may be attractive to locals, but I'm not sure they'll put up with the parking lot problems, which was what led to Raleys losing so many local customers there. It will also be interesting to see if this Target includes CVS or not, CVS has a non-pharmacy store a few blocks away and a busy store with pharmacy about a mile away. Raleys closed pharmacy in this store years ago due to lack of business (before they did chainwide pharmacy closures).