Target closing 2 Washington DC Area Stores

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Target closing 2 Washington DC Area Stores

Post by storewanderer »

Unclear what stores. It was announced with the Minneapolis closure.

I guess Wal Mart isn't the only one closing there.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target closing 2 Washington DC Area Stores

Post by arizonaguy »

They're also closing Center City Philadelphia.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

arizonaguy wrote: March 14th, 2023, 6:54 am They're also closing Center City Philadelphia.
There are four stores within the boundaries of that neighborhood, which small-format was it? Hopefully not the one on Chestnut St, that one is large enough to be useful.

The one at Broad St and Washington Ave would seem most likely; photos of the site (on Google Map) are mixed up between Sprouts and Target but the latter seems to have merchandise shortages in Feb 2023.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

SamSpade wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:13 am
arizonaguy wrote: March 14th, 2023, 6:54 am They're also closing Center City Philadelphia.
There are four stores within the boundaries of that neighborhood, which small-format was it? Hopefully not the one on Chestnut St, that one is large enough to be useful.
The 12th and Chestnut St. store is the one closing.

I can't help but believe that most of these recent Target and Walmart closings are politically motivated versus any store performance data.

The DC Walmart and these stores were all built as part of urban renewal / revitalization programs within the last decade and Target / Walmart seem to be sending a message that unless jurisdictions crack down on crime, more closings will follow.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Uhm,.....I went to the trouble of finding a link and looking for where the stores were:https://bestlifeonline.com/target-closi ... 2023-news/

The DC stores aren't in DC or even close---one is near the University of Maryland and within a couple miles of 2 full-line stores. One is in a mall next to housing that is mostly occupied by U MD students and the other is in a shopping mall patronized by U MD students. The other store that's closing is in Falls Church--one of our Virginia folks can comment on that one.

As mentioned above there are 4 Targets in or around Center City, plus one in South Philly that's not far away. The Philly store that's closing is 7 blocks from another Target which is closer to Drexel, UPenn, etc. and well-off residential and shopping areas. The one that's closing is near the former Market Street East complex which has been struggling to re-imagine itself. That area once was a big part of Philly's traditional downtown business district.

They plan to open 20 stores this year. Some are small, like one in the Outer Banks area of NC.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Both of the DC area locations that are closing are small format stores on the ground floor of mixed use developments. I have not been in the Falls Church store but I have been in the one in College Park. College Park is about the size of a large chain drugstore. Very heavy on grocery, paper goods and HBA. Everything else is an aisle here or an aisle there. Electronics was literally one side of a short aisle. Both stores that are closing have full line, normal sized Target locations nearby. As much of people and governmental officials in the suburbs want to tout their "transit oriented development" unless you live on top of or within a half mile or so of a Metro station you are going to need a car to get around the area. Why would I visit a small format Target in the congested downtown of Falls Church when I can visit a full sized store within a mile or so drive. Likewise with College Park. The Beltway Plaza Target is a couple of miles from the UMD campus as is the Mall at Prince Georges (PG Plaza) store. If you don't have a car on campus and can't get a ride with a friend the UMD shuttle buses go to both locations. Crime isn't a problem in Falls Church and my perception of College Park is that things are not out of control at all. And there is no political statement either in my opinion. If anyone made a statement its was Walmart not living up the promises they made to the DC Government to open stores in the city - my original post on this in the Walmart closings thread.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: March 14th, 2023, 2:52 pm Uhm,.....I went to the trouble of finding a link and looking for where the stores were:https://bestlifeonline.com/target-closi ... 2023-news/

The DC stores aren't in DC or even close---one is near the University of Maryland and within a couple miles of 2 full-line stores. One is in a mall next to housing that is mostly occupied by U MD students and the other is in a shopping mall patronized by U MD students. The other store that's closing is in Falls Church--one of our Virginia folks can comment on that one.

As mentioned above there are 4 Targets in or around Center City, plus one in South Philly that's not far away. The Philly store that's closing is 7 blocks from another Target which is closer to Drexel, UPenn, etc. and well-off residential and shopping areas. The one that's closing is near the former Market Street East complex which has been struggling to re-imagine itself. That area once was a big part of Philly's traditional downtown business district.

They plan to open 20 stores this year. Some are small, like one in the Outer Banks area of NC.
Well the IndyStar article published in Target's hometown newspaper labeled it as 2 closures in "Washington DC area."

These two closures are similar to the Minneapolis closure- basically non events. These are tiny stores that did little volume.