Corner Bakery Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Alpha8472

Corner Bakery Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Post by Alpha8472 »

The urban oriented fast casual restaurant chain is suffering from office workers still working at home. It has 140 locations in 19 states.

https://chainstoreage.com/corner-bakery ... bankruptcy
storewanderer

Re: Corner Bakery Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Post by storewanderer »

The same group that bought Boston Market bought Corner Bakery.....
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 9:03 pm The urban oriented fast casual restaurant chain is suffering from office workers still working at home. It has 140 locations in 19 states.

I'm disappointed by this. Panera serves microwaved, batch prepped, and/or boil in bag cafeteria grade foods coupled with brown and serve frozen breads these days. They don't make anything from scratch that I am aware of these days. Corner Bakery started inside Maggiano's and made everything from scratch before separating into a different company. When they eventually had to close the locations inside Maggiano's due to the corporate divorce they seemed to stop growing, but I didn't realize that they were headed for bankruptcy. Comparing quality of Panera to Corner Bakery was like comparing McDonald's to In-N-Out. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal at the Corner; Panera got to the point where I can't remember when I last had a good meal there and the price is outrageous. I saw they were trying to run a logo change in their ads which wasn't a good move, but they also were doing some great looking remodels to shift to the trendy mid-century modern look in their dining rooms. Hopefully they will be able to fix their finances and emerge with good food and fair prices.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

ClownLoach wrote: March 19th, 2023, 6:45 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 9:03 pm The urban oriented fast casual restaurant chain is suffering from office workers still working at home. It has 140 locations in 19 states.

I'm disappointed by this. Panera serves microwaved, batch prepped, and/or boil in bag cafeteria grade foods coupled with brown and serve frozen breads these days. They don't make anything from scratch that I am aware of these days. Corner Bakery started inside Maggiano's and made everything from scratch before separating into a different company. When they eventually had to close the locations inside Maggiano's due to the corporate divorce they seemed to stop growing, but I didn't realize that they were headed for bankruptcy. Comparing quality of Panera to Corner Bakery was like comparing McDonald's to In-N-Out. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal at the Corner; Panera got to the point where I can't remember when I last had a good meal there and the price is outrageous. I saw they were trying to run a logo change in their ads which wasn't a good move, but they also were doing some great looking remodels to shift to the trendy mid-century modern look in their dining rooms. Hopefully they will be able to fix their finances and emerge with good food and fair prices.
90% of their stores are in the suburbs--not really urban oriented. Corner Bakery was in trouble pre-COVID and the food already was in decline. One niche they had in suburban areas was delivery, well before other chains did this. They catered to business meetings, small conferences, birthday parties, etc. and had a relatively convenient ordering system. Given that everyone has delivery now and telework is probably a bigger deal in many suburban areas than in cities (lots of back office functions in the 'burbs that easily transition to telework), this segment of their business probably hasn't recovered. The last time I had anything from them, it was pretty inedible.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

We considered using their Hinsdale, IL location to cater our wedding reception--it was a couple blocks from the church where we were married in 2015. Ended up going with a local caterer (which was a bit of a laugh because they required us to give them a check the day before--they were set up strictly for delivery to doctors' offices and so had open POs all over the place, apparently). All is well, though--we're still married.