A deeper look into dollar stores....

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: A deeper look into dollar stores....

Post by veteran+ »

Bagels wrote: March 19th, 2023, 4:44 pm Deja vu... it's almost as if they took a video recorded 20 years ago and replaced "Walmart" with "dollar stores."

Consider a family hasn't seen their real household income grow in three years but has seen their expenses swell. Because of inflation, their local independent grocery store is now forced to sell medium sized bananas for 50c, apples for $2, oranges for $3, etc. So instead of spending over $10 to provide a fresh fruit snack for their two kids for the week, they turn to the dollar store where for $4 they can purchase processed snacks.... and the dollar store is evil because those snacks are unhealthy and contribute to obesity and other health problems (which cost more in the long run)?

Two things:
(1) It's a dangerous argument to begin with because there's NO proof that consuming processed foods directly contributes to any health problems... and scientists have been studying this for decades. It's far more probable that people overindulge on caloric processed snacks, leading to these problems... most people don't eat 3-4 apples at a time but they may eat 3-4 granola bars at a time, for example.
(2) Even if it was, it's not the dollar store's fault.

Huh?
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

The podcast was interesting. I'm impressed at the breadth of thinking that went into looking at dollar store operation and their anticipating inevitable defenses based on pricing that's unsustainable. That Walmart was often a long-term liability to communities usually only sank-in when they left to open a super store elsewhere and the retail they pushed out failed to return.

On top of the ProPublic report on dollar stores and crime (and their neglect of employees' welfare), I wonder if we'll see more critiques much as what happened with Walamrt in the early '00s.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Here is another article about the problems these Dollar Stores cause. I wouldn't typically link this source here, but this article highlights a lot of very legitimate issues, so I consider to be okay to post here.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... -food.aspx