Krispy Kreme Discontinues Grocery Store Line

Alpha8472

Re: Krispy Kreme Discontinues Grocery Store Line

Post by Alpha8472 »

Chevron Extra Mile in Northern California sells stale donuts for $1.99.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

The Ralphs not selling Krispy Kreme donuts, Albertsons, Vons and Stater Bros. sell donuts for 99c each. Pavilions sells premium donuts for 1.99 - they are generally twice the size of their Albertsons/Vons equivalents, so it's not a bad value. Of course, SoCal is home to hundreds of independent donut chains that are indirectly connected to that one dude from SE Asia who worked for Winchell's and copied their model/ product. You can get a far better donut than KK for less money at these places (including Winchell's).

Most Speedways (not Express) sold Krispy Kreme donuts 3 for $2 until recently (join their club and the 6th-later 7th-was free) when it adapted the 7-11 product.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:22 pm $1.99 EACH at Ralphs? And the trays look like they sold...

Wal Mart sold these "grocery store line" Krispy Kreme donuts and many convenience stores did too. They were at the bread aisle in a box like an Entenmanns, Hostess, or Little Debbie product (sealed in air tight plastic)- these were like vending machine donuts. They came through the grocery store chain's distribution center.

This isn't about the boxes of locally made Krispy Kreme sold in 6ct and 12ct boxes at Wal Mart, etc. those will still be sold; that program seems to be expanding. Smiths added them around Reno in the past few weeks.
I think some Albertsons stores long ago had Krispy Kreme stands, similar to Starbucks. Albertsons' bakery donuts are mediocre at best.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:41 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 11:33 pm These supermarket Krispy Kreme products always looked disgusting, slimy and stale appearance. Their product is only good in the plain original glazed, only if eaten red hot within a couple minutes after taken off the doughnut machine. The glaze turns to liquid and the doughnut loses most of its flavor after that. And I'm pretty sure they're less expensive at their actual stores where they're fresh.
I think in CA they are 1.69 each on original glazed in the KK Store and more on any flavors. WKS has been very aggressive on price hikes at the KK Stores. I think it is the only way the stores are surviving.

Last 3 times I've seen hot light on at Sparks KK I go in and they have nothing hot available, so I have just left without buying anything. The store never has any customers. They have 2 dumpsters out back that are always overflowing with trash bags full of unsold donuts from the store there, or boxes of the donuts they prepack for Wal Mart and Smiths that I guess have expired so they pick back up and drive them back to the KK Store to throw away. No clue how this is a profitable thing but clearly they know something I don't about how to profit in a business where you throw away what looks like 90% of the donuts you make (must be that terrible pricing).

I used to like the Chocolate Cake and Blueberry Cake flavors that KK made but that seems to have disappeared under WKS as they have severely cut product variety and significantly increased prices at their KK Stores. Yet every new KK market entry results in record crowds for weeks at the new store (they had a fantastic opening in Colorado Springs I stumbled across last year that I heard was their best opening ever) then traffic dwindles down to almost nothing over the later months.
A no name burger place closed between the Temecula Winco and Trader Joe's buildings (strange co-tenants) and Krispy Kreme leaped on it, leasing the site almost instantaneously. They're rushing construction and have already gutted the entire building. I think they'll be open by the end of Summer at the very latest. So they're still opening more stores, although I have noticed all the new ones are about half the size of the originals.

As far as the pricing goes, they're best bought by the dozen. They're up to $16.99/dozen now. They used to have a pretty aggressive schedule of promotions with some kind of deal every day of the week, but I can't locate this now. I know there was at least one day a week where it was buy a dozen, get another dozen for like $1 which was a pretty good deal if you needed a few dozen for a meeting or something. But again they are only good when they're red hot and still "Krispy" which is only a few minutes.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I remember Publix sold Kristen Keene back about 20 years ago. Haven’t noticed them for sale in a long time, but I wonder where they were coming from as there are no KK anywhere close.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:26 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 21st, 2023, 11:22 pm $1.99 EACH at Ralphs? And the trays look like they sold...

Wal Mart sold these "grocery store line" Krispy Kreme donuts and many convenience stores did too. They were at the bread aisle in a box like an Entenmanns, Hostess, or Little Debbie product (sealed in air tight plastic)- these were like vending machine donuts. They came through the grocery store chain's distribution center.

This isn't about the boxes of locally made Krispy Kreme sold in 6ct and 12ct boxes at Wal Mart, etc. those will still be sold; that program seems to be expanding. Smiths added them around Reno in the past few weeks.
I think some Albertsons stores long ago had Krispy Kreme stands, similar to Starbucks. Albertsons' bakery donuts are mediocre at best.
As I understood it, those were delivered from a local Krispy Kreme facility similar to how Walmart has it now (I live in a "Krispy Kreme" market). I don't think any retail store had a true in-store Krispy Kreme.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

At my local Ralphs, the donuts are delivered nightly, usually around 9PM, out of a yellow Ryder truck. KK is one of the few non-pizza restaurants that uses its own people and own vehicles for deliveries (generally office and parties), so I assume it’s being rented by KK and coming from a local store (likely Laguna Niguel locally). KK has replaced traditional Kroger donuts at some Ralphs but most receive boxed donuts. Albertsons and Stater Bros did as well - Albertsons stopped but I haven’t been in awhile.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was looking at KK Pricing and the WKS KK units have really increased prices. Currently the WKS Nevada Krispy Kreme units are at 1.99 single glazed/14.99 glazed down. The WKS Sacramento/Stockton KK unit is at 2.19 single glazed. The WKS Roseville unit is at 1.69 single glazed and even has a 3ct Donut box priced at 4.00; I think the website has the wrong pricing posted for Roseville and it is a fluke/glitch.

WKS opened Sparks Krispy Kreme in like 2020 or 2021 and the single glazed was priced at 1.29 when it opened. To go from 1.29 to 1.99 in such a short time period is unreal.

WKS has the single Boise area KK, Denver KK, etc. and same terrible pricing as Nevada.

Portland/Seattle KK is a different franchisee group for KK, not sure who they are but it isn't WKS, and has a handfull of units, and has the single glazed at 1.75.
There is also a KK in Richland, WA and that one has the single glazed at 1.55. That Richland, WA KK is a single unit franchisee, some woman who opened the KK in 2015 and who's other business is a frozen yogurt shop. I find it VERY interesting the single unit franchisee has the lowest prices. Meanwhile the biggest franchisee WKS has the absolute worst prices.

When I see the amount of donuts the WKS KK in Sparks is throwing away, its dumpster is overflowing almost every day, and look at these prices, I do not see how the business model of KK is sustainable. I can say what I want about Dunkin but at the end of the night Dunkin doesn't throw out many donuts. They throw out some, but they don't have thousands of donuts in the dumpster. I am very disgusted by the amount of donuts I am seeing thrown out in Sparks. The business should just go out of business if it can't figure out how to cut its donut waste by about 90%.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Off topic but..........................you should see how much food In&Out throws away every day!
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: March 26th, 2023, 10:54 pm I was looking at KK Pricing and the WKS KK units have really increased prices. Currently the WKS Nevada Krispy Kreme units are at 1.99 single glazed/14.99 glazed down. The WKS Sacramento/Stockton KK unit is at 2.19 single glazed. The WKS Roseville unit is at 1.69 single glazed and even has a 3ct Donut box priced at 4.00; I think the website has the wrong pricing posted for Roseville and it is a fluke/glitch.

WKS opened Sparks Krispy Kreme in like 2020 or 2021 and the single glazed was priced at 1.29 when it opened. To go from 1.29 to 1.99 in such a short time period is unreal.

WKS has the single Boise area KK, Denver KK, etc. and same terrible pricing as Nevada.

Portland/Seattle KK is a different franchisee group for KK, not sure who they are but it isn't WKS, and has a handfull of units, and has the single glazed at 1.75.
There is also a KK in Richland, WA and that one has the single glazed at 1.55. That Richland, WA KK is a single unit franchisee, some woman who opened the KK in 2015 and who's other business is a frozen yogurt shop. I find it VERY interesting the single unit franchisee has the lowest prices. Meanwhile the biggest franchisee WKS has the absolute worst prices.

When I see the amount of donuts the WKS KK in Sparks is throwing away, its dumpster is overflowing almost every day, and look at these prices, I do not see how the business model of KK is sustainable. I can say what I want about Dunkin but at the end of the night Dunkin doesn't throw out many donuts. They throw out some, but they don't have thousands of donuts in the dumpster. I am very disgusted by the amount of donuts I am seeing thrown out in Sparks. The business should just go out of business if it can't figure out how to cut its donut waste by about 90%.
They're up to $2.49 per donut for most varies (2.29 single glazed) in SoCal. Apple fritters (my favorite) are $4.19. The latter use to be my cheat treat -- less than 10 years ago, these were just over a buck each. Inflation within the food industry is crazy.

I'm not surprised by the waste. The typical KK makes many times more donuts than the typical DD, for example. Wouldn't be shocked if there's less waste by most measurements (per customer, for example). When I was in college, I loaded and unloaded trailers for UPS. A co-worker worked at Winchell's and brought in the donuts / bagels / muffins they were tossing out for the day. After awhile, Winchell's put a stop to this -- if several hundred people could get free pastries, why would they pay (even if it's just one or two people).
veteran+ wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:40 am Off topic but..........................you should see how much food In&Out throws away every day!
I'm shocked -- isn't In & Out made-to-order?