Krispy Kreme Discontinues Grocery Store Line

BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Krispy Kreme Discontinues Grocery Store Line

Post by BillyGr »

cjd wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:26 am I remember Publix sold Kristen Keene back about 20 years ago.
Kristen Keene? ;) Maybe there was one around you didn't realize with that name? ;) ;)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:40 am Off topic but..........................you should see how much food In&Out throws away every day!
What are they throwing away exactly?

I know they produce a lot of waste of things like lettuce culls, tomato centers, onion peels, potato peels, and also some waste due to orders thrown out due to errors. They also produce a ton of trash from their customer trash cans due to the sheer volume of customers they have present.

Another thing I notice at In N Out is they seem to throw away a ton of fries. They seem to be trained to not serve "mixed batches" of fries so the result is they will throw fries away that are only a couple minutes old. I have watched them empty that trash can below fries multiple times and been surprised to see if opened up, pulled out, and literally overflowing with fries. This is something they absolutely should address.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Yes, but they have a strange rule that if they get it wrong (which happens a lot) they do the ENTIRE order over again.

Again, this is regarding that store in southern Denver.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:15 am
veteran+ wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:40 am Off topic but..........................you should see how much food In&Out throws away every day!
What are they throwing away exactly?

I know they produce a lot of waste of things like lettuce culls, tomato centers, onion peels, potato peels, and also some waste due to orders thrown out due to errors. They also produce a ton of trash from their customer trash cans due to the sheer volume of customers they have present.

Another thing I notice at In N Out is they seem to throw away a ton of fries. They seem to be trained to not serve "mixed batches" of fries so the result is they will throw fries away that are only a couple minutes old. I have watched them empty that trash can below fries multiple times and been surprised to see if opened up, pulled out, and literally overflowing with fries. This is something they absolutely should address.
Yes to that issue with the fries.

My friend actually brought that up several times about the tonage of fies thrown out.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 28th, 2023, 10:16 am

Yes to that issue with the fries.

My friend actually brought that up several times about the tonage of fies thrown out.
Yeah they need to do something on the fries. Other fast food chains rarely throw fries out. They should have near zero waste on fries since they are always busy. Potato cost is way up so this fry waste isn't of .10/lb potatoes anymore.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: March 29th, 2023, 12:19 amYeah they need to do something on the fries. Other fast food chains rarely throw fries out. They should have near zero waste on fries since they are always busy. Potato cost is way up so this fry waste isn't of .10/lb potatoes anymore.
Potatoes disintegrate quickly. At least In-N-Out has quality standards. I've been served many batches of fries in my lifetime that should've been thrown out. I no longer accept that -- in SoCal, most fast food establishments are charging $3.50+ for a small fry, and nearly $5+ for a large.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 29th, 2023, 12:19 amYeah they need to do something on the fries. Other fast food chains rarely throw fries out. They should have near zero waste on fries since they are always busy. Potato cost is way up so this fry waste isn't of .10/lb potatoes anymore.
Potatoes disintegrate quickly. At least In-N-Out has quality standards. I've been served many batches of fries in my lifetime that should've been thrown out. I no longer accept that -- in SoCal, most fast food establishments are charging $3.50+ for a small fry, and nearly $5+ for a large.
What do you do? Do you literally ask for fresh fries? I was asking for extra crispy fries at Chickfila and Wendys for a while and Chickfila refuses to do it now and Wendys seems annoyed so I stopped. Raising Canes has no problem with the request, but results seem to vary. 75% of my McDonalds fry orders on Friday I don't even finish due to some issue with the quality. I go to all different locations.

My visit to McDonalds this Friday for the "free fry" was one of the worst yet. Retail value 3.69 at this location. Some are still under $3 around here. I always see them pull fries out before the timer is done. They had broken down the fry thing so they had fries in a clear plastic tub sitting under the warmer where completed burgers go before being bagged. It wasn't busy so they decided to toss those fries out and cook a fresh batch for me but just a "small" batch. They were dumping fries straight from the paper bags in the freezer (odd as they usually have an automated device to fill the baskets). Right after they threw about 1/3 of a basket into the fryer and hit the timer, a customer came in and ordered 2 large fries. They quickly took the basket out of the fryer and dumped more fries into it so it was heaping full of fries then put it back into the fryer. As I was watching the fryer, the oil was steaming, but the clocks had an intermittent "LOW TEMP" message that kept flashing. The fries completed and sat in the fryer about 25 seconds after the "done" time as the employees were screwing around. The fries came out hot as could be but somewhat pasty, and different levels of done-ness. At least the 1.29 iced tea was okay.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

KremSparks2.jpg
Back to the Krispy comment. The Krispy Dumpster in Sparks was overflowing again today. This is really pathetic and disgusting. This business model is completely broken to be throwing away this amount of donuts. Lower your prices lower than 1.99 per glazed donut *or* cut production by 90% to reduce waste (probably still have waste even if they cut production 90%).

Every customer who goes through drive through (probably less than 100 customers a day, this place is dead) sees this.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 10:37 pm KremSparks2.jpgBack to the Krispy comment. The Krispy Dumpster in Sparks was overflowing again today. This is really pathetic and disgusting. This business model is completely broken to be throwing away this amount of donuts. Lower your prices lower than 1.99 per glazed donut *or* cut production by 90% to reduce waste (probably still have waste even if they cut production 90%).

Every customer who goes through drive through (probably less than 100 customers a day, this place is dead) sees this.
They should be fined for that (heavily).

Major sanitation issue and incubator for vermin and other pests which can find their way into the store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

A couple photos from January I forgot to post back then. Same site. The boxes are the ones they drive to Wal Mart and try to sell there. They take back outdated after they sit at Wal Mart for a few days.
Kremjan1.jpg
Kremjan2.jpg