Dollar General Opens Mexico Store

storewanderer

Dollar General Opens Mexico Store

Post by storewanderer »

https://progressivegrocer.com/dollar-ge ... der-mexico

Do any US Dollar General units prepare food products in the store like this?

It is sure interesting how much more labor they are willing to support in the store in Mexico compared to how they staff in the US.

After 19,000 stores in the US (unbelievable store count) I guess they need to start to expand elsewhere. Twice as many Dollar Generals in the US as 7-Elevens/Speedways.
pseudo3d

Re: Dollar General Opens Mexico Store

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: March 29th, 2023, 12:55 am After 19,000 stores in the US (unbelievable store count) I guess they need to start to expand elsewhere. Twice as many Dollar Generals in the US as 7-Elevens/Speedways.
The pull-out of 7-Eleven of many markets and the subsequent stunted growth resulted in huge swaths of the country not having 7-Eleven in the 1990s and 2000s. Their acquisition spree has changed that, but they still have a long way to go. Dollar General has been powering ahead and building everywhere, including rural areas. Can't tell you all the Dollar General stores that have sprouted up along the roadways between major cities in the last 10 years.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Labor in Mexico must be really cheap.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 29th, 2023, 7:43 pm Labor in Mexico must be really cheap.
It will be interesting to see how fast they can grow in Mexico.

International expansion could be an interesting proposition for Dollar General. There are potentially a lot of countries that their concept may work well in. Rural areas aren't just underserved in the US, that is a common thing worldwide.

Still amazed they have 19,000 locations in the US. I had no idea. I thought they were around 12,000 locations.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

storewanderer wrote: March 30th, 2023, 12:17 am
Alpha8472 wrote: March 29th, 2023, 7:43 pm Labor in Mexico must be really cheap.
It will be interesting to see how fast they can grow in Mexico.

International expansion could be an interesting proposition for Dollar General. There are potentially a lot of countries that their concept may work well in. Rural areas aren't just underserved in the US, that is a common thing worldwide.

Still amazed they have 19,000 locations in the US. I had no idea. I thought they were around 12,000 locations.
Not to mention that growth in key states(mainly on the west coast)has been relatively slow even more than a decade after entering California.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: March 30th, 2023, 12:17 am Still amazed they have 19,000 locations in the US. I had no idea. I thought they were around 12,000 locations.
I suspect it just varies by where in the US one looks.
we only have a few locally (they actually had more, then closed some, a few years ago, but have since opened others, including a couple near locations that closed), but more rural areas seem to have them in just about any town, even when nothing else exists in that area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: March 30th, 2023, 1:03 pm

Not to mention that growth in key states(mainly on the west coast)has been relatively slow even more than a decade after entering California.
I think they have about 300 stores in CA. Their penetration north of Sacramento and east of I-5 is huge. They are everywhere.

They have barely gotten started expanding into UT/ID/MT. I think they still need distribution capacity.