Sprouts Closing 11 Stores, to focus on "smaller concept."

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Sprouts Closing 11 Stores, to focus on "smaller concept."

Post by storewanderer »

I wondered how much being a unit of Wild Oats helped Henry's come off as a bit more legitimate.

That ripe produce wasn't an issue for me on trips, it was exactly what I was looking for. I wonder why they had that issue.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Henry's was much better and I do think it was because of the Wild Oats heritage.

Loved shopping at both. There was a Wild Oats (formerly in an art deco classic Publix) at 11701 South Dixie Hwy in SW Miami that was the bomb. Very busy store!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

ClownLoach wrote: March 11th, 2023, 10:39 pm I saw online that Lynnwood, WA is closing and it is a 2019 opening.
I guess this means we're never going to see them in the PNW after all. They supposedly were going to occupy portions of some former closed Albertsons locations but that never happened in Portland, Ore. area.

I believe this Lynnwood store was their only (?) store up this way.

Edit: I see another poster noted there are 3 other stores in Washington state.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Yes, there are 3 other stores. Aurora has some real challenges.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Houston Historic Retail reports that three stores are closing in the Houston area. One of them opened in 2020 in a former Toys R Us building, one opened in 2013 in a building that has had various grocery stores over the decades but has about 10 other supermarkets and food stores within a 1.5 mile radius. The last one opened in 2018 in a strip center. None of these are especially obvious closures, not even the 2013 one. There will still be about half a dozen stores left in the Houston area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

3 stores is quite a few to close in a single market. How do they appear to be doing there?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

pseudo3d wrote: March 28th, 2023, 7:41 pm Houston Historic Retail reports that three stores are closing in the Houston area. One of them opened in 2020 in a former Toys R Us building, one opened in 2013 in a building that has had various grocery stores over the decades but has about 10 other supermarkets and food stores within a 1.5 mile radius. The last one opened in 2018 in a strip center. None of these are especially obvious closures, not even the 2013 one. There will still be about half a dozen stores left in the Houston area.
Sounding the BS horn again. They were claiming these large format problem stores all opened around 2019, but now we see closures as old as 2013? (2013 sounds like a lease term is up and the next term was too expensive) We all know they've got plenty of large formats that are even larger than the 30K 2019 prototype that the CEO claims is cash flow negative.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

One of two Roseville locations is also closing.

This is is in a 1990's center by Costco across 65 from the Galleria,It is in a freestanding building though it's uncertain whether it was an original build Sprouts or something prior.Curious closure considering that it's in a still growing area.The one remaining Roseville store is in a Borders turned short-lived The Fresh Market,and another cannibalizing factor being a newer Lincoln location.I must note that Citrus Heights still has traffic but no longer to the degree that there were constantly long lines at most times.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: April 6th, 2023, 12:56 pm One of two Roseville locations is also closing.

This is is in a 1990's center by Costco across 65 from the Galleria,It is in a freestanding building though it's uncertain whether it was an original build Sprouts or something prior.Curious closure considering that it's in a still growing area.The one remaining Roseville store is in a Borders turned short-lived The Fresh Market,and another cannibalizing factor being a newer Lincoln location.I must note that Citrus Heights still has traffic but no longer to the degree that there were constantly long lines at most times.
I think this closing Sprouts is a former Linens N Things location. The interior is very spacious. It has been open for quite a while. I don't think it ever did very well. There is a future Amazon Fresh location somewhat nearby also.

They closed the Roseville Square Sunflower in favor of this now closing Sprouts.

I had been suspecting both Roseville Sprouts were potential closure targets for a while.

I also don't think the other Roseville Sprouts does great; it is very small. They may expect customers to go to the other Roseville Sprouts and help it but I don't think that will be the case here. There are so many other options at every end of the spectrum near the closing Sprouts between Nugget, Whole Foods, WinCo, multiple Safeway/Raleys, Wal Mart, etc...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:53 pm 3 stores is quite a few to close in a single market. How do they appear to be doing there?
When I lived in Houston (I don't anymore) I never went to Sprouts, despite one not being too far away from my work. They entered Houston several years after they entered Dallas, but once again, the more competitive environment stifled their growth (Albertsons, Food Lion, and Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market all had similar stories when trying to replicate their relative Dallas success in Houston).