KFC Debuts Chicken Nuggets

Alpha8472

KFC Debuts Chicken Nuggets

Post by Alpha8472 »

These are not mashed up chicken, but they are whole cuts of white meat chicken and hand breaded.

5 nuggets are $3.49. They also come in 8, 12, or 36 pieces.

https://www.brandeating.com/2023/03/kfc ... ggets.html
storewanderer

Re: KFC Debuts Chicken Nuggets

Post by storewanderer »

The only 5pc option in Reno is a kid meal with a "jr fry" and a juice box or milk (seem to be new items for KFC) for 5.19. Reno KFC will probably count 6 fries to ensure the "jr fry" is exact portion, similar to how they used to serve half empty Go Cups. They are a bit of a joke.

Also the 8pc is 4.99 in Reno and 4.49 in Carson City (different franchisee). Guess I'll be trying these in Carson City.

This is cheaper than Chickfila's 8pc Nugget, but I can't tell how the size compares.

Popeyes in Reno still has 8pc Nugget at 3.99, for some reason they never increased that price. I don't like their nuggets, no kick/taste.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The nuggets were very tiny. They were less than 1 inch of meat. The little box they came in was so tiny. I would only pay 99 cents for this.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 29th, 2023, 7:41 pm The nuggets were very tiny. They were less than 1 inch of meat. The little box they came in was so tiny. I would only pay 99 cents for this.
So basically, like the Chickfila nuggets.

Also doesn't sound much different than the Popcorn chicken that it replaced.

Sounds like the sandwich is still the better value.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Finally tried KFC nuggets last week. Went during lunch so basically 2 or so hours after opening. The nuggets I received were tiny little pieces, basically popcorn chicken, original recipe breading. The meat itself was so hard and dry I think it may have been held in a heating unit overnight. The meat was basically tasteless; the breading had the expected flavor. These nuggets could have been really good if they had been fresh.

KFC also has a new wrap, with a chicken strip and some macaroni and cheese. This was free with any $1 purchase. I tried this. This was one of the most disgusting things I've tasted in a long time. Really awful. The flavors do not come together AT ALL between the chicken strip and the macaroni and cheese. I don't know how this got past any taste tests. Nothing was wrong with the macaroni or the chicken strip individually, they just don't come together.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I too had a bad batch once of the nuggets. They seemed dried out. The other times they were decent because they were hot. They were way too small in any case and not a good value.

I just wait until Wendy's 6 Free Nugget App deal on Wednesdays.

I saw the free offer on the app for the wrap. KFC must be desperate to give them away. Nobody wants them.

The wraps at Burger King and Jack In The Box seem decent but very small. McDonald's used to have really big wraps and a small version years ago.

Do people still buy those KFC fries with the crunchy coating? I tried them a while ago, and they seemed decent.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 8th, 2024, 10:25 pm I too had a bad batch once of the nuggets. They seemed dried out. The other times they were decent because they were hot. They were way too small in any case and not a good value.

I just wait until Wendy's 6 Free Nugget App deal on Wednesdays.

I saw the free offer on the app for the wrap. KFC must be desperate to give them away. Nobody wants them.

The wraps at Burger King and Jack In The Box seem decent but very small. McDonald's used to have really big wraps and a small version years ago.

Do people still buy those KFC fries with the crunchy coating? I tried them a while ago, and they seemed decent.
When I went to KFC the place was completely deserted. I went during lunch. Nobody goes there.

The fries I enjoyed in the past while consuming (they had a free with purchase during COVID on those in their app) but after a couple visits I found these fries were just too too salty. In general I think KFC's sides are terrible. The corn may be the only passable side they have. I like some of Popeyes sides- the red beans/rice and the mashed potatoes are pretty good.

I also question the viability of the KFC brand and format in the US going forward.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

KFC used to do decent business even 2 years ago. I remember the lines for the chicken sandwich. That was decent.

Now there are no cars at the drive thru when I pass by.

I have seen the lines at Popeye's and Chick-fil-a get shorter and shorter over the past year. The Popeye's Chicken sandwich was once so popular that they would sell out. Now people are just tired of it.

A KFC in San Francisco recently closed. It used to be a KFC Taco Bell, but lost the Taco Bell a couple years ago. It could not survive as a KFC alone.

If they had converted to a Taco Bell, they might still be in business.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on January 9th, 2024, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

It also seems like McDonald's frequently runs specials in the app for 10 piece McNuggets lately. Right now if I look in the app I see 40% off regular menu price (which would be $2.75 compared to a regular price of $4.59) or they also have a deal for a 10 piece McNugget or McCrispy combo for $6, but I've also seen deals for a free 10 piece McNugget with purchase.

As for other chicken places the Chick-fil-A locations around here seem pretty crowded still (but the drive thru is usually pretty efficient so they keep the lines moving). Popeyes and Bojangles seem to do steady business, but I don't see a ton of people at KFC (haven't actually been to one since I moved here, too many better options.)
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Just heard that the KFC in Palm Springs CA closed---had turned into a bit of a homeless shelter and was across the street from a Starbucks that likewise closed.

Watched some interesting YouTube content dissecting both KFC and Popeyes---KFC from the standpoint of how long will international KFC be able to stand up with a drain-swirling US KFC...conclusion was a pretty long time, as International isn't particularly beholden to US for product development (and KFC in China is a separate corporation anyway). KFC US has become a licensing organization (as they operate virtually no stores any more---strictly operating for the royalties)

The show on Popeyes essentially looked at the last 20 years where they fell far, then rebuilt franchisee relationships then emerged as successful around the chicken sandwich craze, but are declining again due to ignoring restaurant conditions and QSC.