Ollie's Bargain Outlet To Open 45 New Stores

Alpha8472

Ollie's Bargain Outlet To Open 45 New Stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

The 475 store chain plans to open 45 new stores in 2023. They are confident in being able to open 1,050 stores.

They claim that the deal pipeline is strong. People are looking for cheap things these days.

https://chainstoreage.com/ollies-bargai ... ine-strong
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet To Open 45 New Stores

Post by mbz321 »

I'm glad they are doing well, but in the last few years, their merchandise has been unimpressive to me....more and more of the products seem to be just average quality stuff sold all day, every day, but that seems to hold true for others like Big Lots and Ocean State Job Lot as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This chain is worse every time I go into one of their locations. I don't think I've ever actually bought anything from them. Reminded me of a dumpier Tuesday Morning with worse merchandise.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

mbz321 wrote: March 30th, 2023, 7:32 pm I'm glad they are doing well, but in the last few years, their merchandise has been unimpressive to me....more and more of the products seem to be just average quality stuff sold all day, every day, but that seems to hold true for others like Big Lots and Ocean State Job Lot as well.
Probably just as all these chains expanded, there simply isn't enough "closeout/deal" items for all of them to be just that all the time. Thus, thy have started stocking some "regular" items to fill the blanks in.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

It looks like they are not so much doing a new expansion as doing a slightly scaled back version of what they'd already planned. They have a pretty uneven distribution of locations, esp. in larger metro areas, so I wonder if they are planning to fill gaps or expand further, as indicated by the new distribution center in Illinois. They seem to get into prime retail strip areas in small metros and small towns, but have a mix of up and downscale locations in bigger metros.

Supply chain management by retailers and manufacturers has gotten better and the shrinking of department stores and speciality chains as well as the capitive off-price chains like Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack probably compounds this, in terms of softlines that are available for off-price chains. They might do better with general merchandise, but again they're not dealing with a growing retail segment. Online retail makes it easier for chains to maximize their returns on out of season and other clearance merchandise.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

I think that the large CPG vendors are also being strategic in offloading extra stuff closer to the plant producing the overstock. Ollies used to have a pretty wide variety of P&G products, which has narrowed considerably (also P&G has co-packers on some of their more esoteric products and/or have sold off brands which aren't disposing of overstocks congruent with the P&G overstocks). Grocery Outlet out in California used to have a much wider selection of cleaners/detergents than they do now--maybe 2 choices of dishwashing liquid, 2 of dishwasher detergent, and a few laundry detergent---they have more surface cleaners/wipes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I notice in general the non food category is difficult for Grocery Outlet. The only cleaning or paper produce I have bought there in 5 years is Giant Eagle Facial Tissue and that was just to get the packages. The price was high.

I visit 3 difficult Grocery Outlet units about once a week and then there is 1 more unit I go to some weeks as well, and I buy stuff when I go in at least 95% of the time, but how much I buy varies.

Ollie's may have some streams to find more items with Tuesday Morning going under.