Fred Meyer and QFC to discontinue mailers

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Fred Meyer and QFC to discontinue mailers

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: April 20th, 2023, 10:35 pm
babs wrote: April 20th, 2023, 3:36 pm

I'm seeing the GM doors close at 7 or 8pm depending on location. Some are all self checkout while others are staffed. I wouldn't want to work those checkstands as I'd feel very vulnerable to a hold up.
They should do a cash pick up once cash hits a pretty low amount in the register with money in it, like around $200, but the robbers may not know that.

Is business improving at those areas during the season when garden is open?
Garden is a draw at Fred Meyer. Some locations do substantially better than others but I can't tell if garden sales are up, down, or flat. I used to get my weed and feed there but not since they stopped carrying their store brand, Turf King. Their price on Scott's is high
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: April 20th, 2023, 10:47 pm
Garden is a draw at Fred Meyer. Some locations do substantially better than others but I can't tell if garden sales are up, down, or flat. I used to get my weed and feed there but not since they stopped carrying their store brand, Turf King. Their price on Scott's is high
I think they do a great job with garden. It seems dumb to walk fertilizer sales due to only having name brand at a high price though. For garden to be profitable it needs to have the right sales mix of live plants and zero labor items like fertilizer that show up on a pallet and require little to no labor to stock. I'm sure you're not the only one who stopped buying fertilizer there due to the price being too high on what they offer or them not having the right item mix (in this case lacking private label). This seems like the same old story the rest of the Fred Meyer GM department has been having for many years now and just keeps walking sales...
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:56 pm
I think they do a great job with garden. It seems dumb to walk fertilizer sales due to only having name brand at a high price though. For garden to be profitable it needs to have the right sales mix of live plants and zero labor items like fertilizer that show up on a pallet and require little to no labor to stock. I'm sure you're not the only one who stopped buying fertilizer there due to the price being too high on what they offer or them not having the right item mix (in this case lacking private label). This seems like the same old story the rest of the Fred Meyer GM department has been having for many years now and just keeps walking sales...
It may depend on the customers - some, if they see only the brand name may not even think that there could be a store brand cheaper elsewhere, they may think that it is something that just doesn't have a "generic" option (as is the case for some items).
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:56 pm
The Longview Fred Meyer seems to do a decent garden business. In the spring they actually block off a parking area adjacent to the garden area for merchandise, in addition to the fenced in area. As this sells off toward late summer/early fall they move everything back inside.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

One thing to keep in mind is that there was a brief period in the early 2000s where Fred Meyer and Home Depot seemed to be in some sort of partnership to build and anchor new shopping centers, which resulted in several locations where the two stores are right next to each other. I know of Fred Meyers in Issaquah, Redmond and Snohomish that have a Home Depot right next door that were all built around this time, and there's also one in Auburn that has a Lowe's next door. There are also several Fred Meyers that appear to have been built next to Costcos, although that wouldn't have much impact on their garden departments.