Safeway closing- Fisherman's Wharf- San Francisco

California. No non-grocery posts.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Safeway closing- Fisherman's Wharf- San Francisco

Post by HCal »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 4:09 pm Grocery Outlet stores in the San Francisco Bay Area have closed due to problems in the past. There is an abandoned Grocery Outlet in Dublin, California. I always wondered why it closed. It was not due to homeless problems. The local customers just hated the store.

Products that are nearly expired, ugly stores, unpredictable inventory, lack of variety, etc...
I feel like with inflation being what it is, customers that hated Grocery Outlet in the past are starting to give it a second look now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: April 19th, 2023, 4:14 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 4:09 pm Grocery Outlet stores in the San Francisco Bay Area have closed due to problems in the past. There is an abandoned Grocery Outlet in Dublin, California. I always wondered why it closed. It was not due to homeless problems. The local customers just hated the store.

Products that are nearly expired, ugly stores, unpredictable inventory, lack of variety, etc...
I feel like with inflation being what it is, customers that hated Grocery Outlet in the past are starting to give it a second look now.
Grocery Outlet has attracted some excellent operators who run fantastic stores.

They have a policy in place that they do not sell expired merchandise any longer (some stores still do not follow that policy). Inventory is consigned to the stores. Grocery Outlet corporate will give the stores credit for expired merchandise. They do NOT want anything on the sales floor past the expiration date.

Grocery Outlet has also done a better and better job with its buying operation. While I still find them weak on non food (price/mix just doesn't do much for anyone), they have gotten very good on basically all food.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Well, it looks like they are trying their hand again in Dublin...https://patch.com/california/dublin/gro ... lots-store

I'm on the East Coast, but Grocery Outlet has been expanding rapidly in PA/NJ. I pop in once in a while when I just need some snacks/junk food and don't have a grocery list in mind, and I always find something good (even better when items are closer to the expiration date...I recently scored Sabra hummus for less than 50 cents a container and some Pillsbury cinnamon rolls for 50 cents).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Safeway store closed May 12 with Safeway saying that it was not meeting financial expectations.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/fis ... -confirms/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Between this just remodeled store and the just remodeled Pak N Save closure in Madera it seems NorCal Division doing cheap low budget remodels to questionably performing stores is not helping save those stores. I have seen various other divisions, particularly Portland and Denver, do remodels to very questionably performing stores and to this point I have not seen those divisions close even one remodeled store.