Carson City Smith’s Temporarily Closed

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Carson City Smith’s Temporarily Closed

Post by bryceleinan »

Sounds like Smith’s / Kroger has some explaining to do about pest control in the Carson City, NV store:

https://www.carsonnow.org/story/04/21/2 ... reveal-why

This store is a few blocks from my office… not sure what the story is about the mice, but it sounded like the health department ordered the store to toss a bunch of food / meat.
storewanderer

Re: Carson City Smith’s Temporarily Closed

Post by storewanderer »

This is a pretty dirty store. This can happen in any store, but the problem here is a customer saw it and reported it to the health department. This is the store management's job to monitor and ensure rodents are addressed so customers DO NOT see this. What a complete failure here. This is very embarrassing for Smiths.

Really no excuse for this.

In the old days when there was a Scolaris, Safeway, nearby, this may have been enough to do the Smiths in. Now, with less competition, they will address the issue and things will move on.

Another problem that arises when there is less competition. Companies can get away with this sort of thing.

A google search yields this is something that happens some weeks in other states too (other chains, yes, sure).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

bryceleinan wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:27 pm Sounds like Smith’s / Kroger has some explaining to do about pest control in the Carson City, NV store:

This store is a few blocks from my office… not sure what the story is about the mice, but it sounded like the health department ordered the store to toss a bunch of food / meat.
Side note:

Typical Kroger parking lot with fading paint................... :lol: Do they keep it clean? In Los Angeles they are quite dirty and grimy!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 5:44 am
bryceleinan wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:27 pm Sounds like Smith’s / Kroger has some explaining to do about pest control in the Carson City, NV store:

Side note:

Typical Kroger parking lot with fading paint................... :lol: Do they keep it clean? In Los Angeles they are quite dirty and grimy!
Fading paint is okay, it makes for a more relaxed atmosphere. You just park wherever.

I've never seen them clean the parking lot there. This is a freestanding building/lot entirely owned by Smiths. I suppose they clean it once in a while.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The store reopened Sunday morning.

Sunday afternoon the North Carson Save Mart was about 3x busier than usual. When I walked in they had one checkstand open and 5 customers in line, and the 6 self checkouts were all in use and there were a couple people waiting to use those. I walked around for 5-10 minutes and was ready to go. At that point the one checkstand open had 8 customers in line but there was no line for the 6 self checkouts (all were in use though), and right as I was using self checkout, a second cashier came and opened a second register.

Also went into the North Carson Wal Mart. This thing also seemed busier than usual but it is hard to gauge with Wal Marts.

Then went over to Smiths. Maybe 20 cars in the parking lot. 3 cashiers (standing around), all of the self checkouts open, there was a customer here and there. This thing had 20% of its usual Sunday business at best. Perimeter was fully stocked (bakery/deli were a bit low), produce was clearly all new product based on how fresh it was. Did not really see anything to do with the mice inside, but a run around the perimeter of the building yielded mouse trap units every 10-15 feet around the perimeters of the building. There is some landscaping beside/behind the store that probably needs to be taken away. Overheard a couple of customers asking employees about the mouse situation and when the employees told them that it had been cleaned up the customers seemed happy about it. Interesting reaction. Loyal customers...

Also went to Raleys which is a bit further and it didn't seem any busier than usual (similar traffic to Smiths today) and the South Carson Save Mart was its usual ghost town.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 7:33 pm The store reopened Sunday morning.

Sunday afternoon the North Carson Save Mart was about 3x busier than usual. When I walked in they had one checkstand open and 5 customers in line, and the 6 self checkouts were all in use and there were a couple people waiting to use those. I walked around for 5-10 minutes and was ready to go. At that point the one checkstand open had 8 customers in line but there was no line for the 6 self checkouts (all were in use though), and right as I was using self checkout, a second cashier came and opened a second register.

Also went into the North Carson Wal Mart. This thing also seemed busier than usual but it is hard to gauge with Wal Marts.

Then went over to Smiths. Maybe 20 cars in the parking lot. 3 cashiers (standing around), all of the self checkouts open, there was a customer here and there. This thing had 20% of its usual Sunday business at best. Perimeter was fully stocked (bakery/deli were a bit low), produce was clearly all new product based on how fresh it was. Did not really see anything to do with the mice inside, but a run around the perimeter of the building yielded mouse trap units every 10-15 feet around the perimeters of the building. There is some landscaping beside/behind the store that probably needs to be taken away. Overheard a couple of customers asking employees about the mouse situation and when the employees told them that it had been cleaned up the customers seemed happy about it. Interesting reaction. Loyal customers...

Also went to Raleys which is a bit further and it didn't seem any busier than usual (similar traffic to Smiths today) and the South Carson Save Mart was its usual ghost town.
My mom mentioned the Smith's in Dayton had almost nothing in the meat cases... not sure if this was the typical overshopping that happens in Dayton, or something else. In the mean time, we're probably going to stick to Raley's, Save Mart or Safeway for now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 8:26 pm

My mom mentioned the Smith's in Dayton had almost nothing in the meat cases... not sure if this was the typical overshopping that happens in Dayton, or something else. In the mean time, we're probably going to stick to Raley's, Save Mart or Safeway for now.
Maybe they missed a delivery.

I'm hoping we see more details on the issue, I think health inspection reports are usually public record?

I'd be very cautious with Save Mart's meat based on personal experience.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

A new sign showed up in the door of the Carson City Smith's this week: a big A rating from the Carson City Health Agency.

Businesses in Nevada do not typically display a sign like this, this prominently (such signs are usually in a corner somewhere).

The store definitely looks better than it has in a while.

Save Mart went after its customers but appears to be losing them fast. The Food Maxx looks as dead as ever, understaffed, poor meat/produce, etc. The North Carson Save Mart which is historically a very nice store and was a major beneficiary and went very aggressive to beef up its fresh departments currently has some of the sloppiest looking fresh departments, sloppy looking displays at the front entry area of the store, and worst fresh meat/produce rotation I've seen. The South Carson Save Mart is as dead as ever but was perhaps too far to benefit from the Smiths situation.