My kind of store :-)

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My kind of store :-)

Post by veteran+ »

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: My kind of store :-)

Post by SamSpade »

Note y'all, this starts on the last slide so press the left /back button.
Yes, Hy-Vee can be pretty.
Still bummed that all the restaurants are now Wahlburgers though instead of their own offering.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

While I do like some of the elements, and the features of the store it still strikes me as typical to what every grocery retailer is doing now. I prefer what Hy-Vee had right before this.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

It will be interesting to see how this format does against Kroger Marketplace stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 8:00 pm It will be interesting to see how this format does against Kroger Marketplace stores.
Hy-Vee beats Kroger on fresh bakery/deli for sure. Produce is perhaps a toss up. Meat would really vary by location.

On center store Kroger would beat Hy Vee on private label/price but Hy Vee would have a far better/larger product mix throughout the store. Both have their strengths and weaknesses (price is a big weakness for Hy Vee).

Overall the majority of interactions Hy-Vee has had with Kroger have been at Dillon Division and things have not gone too well for Dillon Division. Dillon is out of Springfield (Hy Vee opened across the street) and those Gerbes things in Columbia clearly are not doing well (one closed that had a Hy Vee across the road). In Topeka and Lawrence, Dillon wised up and decided to do some major store expansions as Hy Vee showed up. To this point Hy Vee has only one store in Lawrence and one store in Topeka, so the larger store strategy may have worked for Kroger. And Hy Vee to this point has not tried to go to Wichita (where Dillon has also upgraded to larger stores).
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote: June 17th, 2023, 8:55 pm
Overall the majority of interactions Hy-Vee has had with Kroger have been at Dillon Division and things have not gone too well for Dillon Division. Dillon is out of Springfield (Hy Vee opened across the street) and those Gerbes things in Columbia clearly are not doing well (one closed that had a Hy Vee across the road). In Topeka and Lawrence, Dillon wised up and decided to do some major store expansions as Hy Vee showed up. To this point Hy Vee has only one store in Lawrence and one store in Topeka, so the larger store strategy may have worked for Kroger. And Hy Vee to this point has not tried to go to Wichita (where Dillon has also upgraded to larger stores).
And Baker's in Omaha (Dillons division) is down to #3 there, behind Hy-Vee and Walmart. Baker's closed a store there maybe a few years ago. Kroger hasn't moved an inch on new store development in Omaha since buying Baker's from Fleming (except for cherry picking 3 of the best Albertsons stores there in 2004).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 9:20 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 17th, 2023, 8:55 pm
And Baker's in Omaha (Dillons division) is down to #3 there, behind Hy-Vee and Walmart. Baker's closed a store there maybe a few years ago. Kroger hasn't moved an inch on new store development in Omaha since buying Baker's from Fleming (except for cherry picking 3 of the best Albertsons stores there in 2004).
I forgot about Baker's. That is another pretty miserable Dillon vs. Hy-Vee event.

I find it interesting Hy-Vee continues to stay out of Wichita. Dillon runs a good operation in Wichita though, after the many store upgrades that were done. It was pretty dismal before that.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

storewanderer wrote: June 17th, 2023, 9:23 pm I forgot about Baker's. That is another pretty miserable Dillon vs. Hy-Vee event.

I find it interesting Hy-Vee continues to stay out of Wichita. Dillon runs a good operation in Wichita though, after the many store upgrades that were done. It was pretty dismal before that.
In 2000, Baker's was the market share leader in Omaha, with 32% share. That was the year Fleming put their retail operations for sale. Albertsons was the runner-up bidder for Baker's, but Kroger ultimately bought them. They have sunk in market share since.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: June 17th, 2023, 9:36 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 17th, 2023, 9:23 pm I forgot about Baker's. That is another pretty miserable Dillon vs. Hy-Vee event.

In 2000, Baker's was the market share leader in Omaha, with 32% share. That was the year Fleming put their retail operations for sale. Albertsons was the runner-up bidder for Baker's, but Kroger ultimately bought them. They have sunk in market share since.
Fleming wasn't the strongest operator and I am wondering how much Wal Mart had penetrated Omaha in 2000. Still, knowing how Dillon Division operated (quite passively) in that 2000's/into the 2010's period (basically until they got serious and did their store expansions/Marketplace formats in Topeka/Wichita) I am not surprised Baker's lost a lot of share. These are the kind of harsh lessons Kroger had, that made them get more serious/aggressive as a competitor. At least Baker's is still in business, unlike Kroger expansion failure efforts of that era such as Smiths Montana, Hilander in Rockford, or Ralphs NorCal. I do think Kroger learned things from all of those failures.