South Pasadena Vons Closing Next Month

California. No non-grocery posts.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

South Pasadena Vons Closing Next Month

Post by J-Man »

Per this article. This is the store that's literally across the street from a Pavilions. It's been that way since the Safeway acquisition. I'm surprised they kept two stores open for so long, especially as the distinction between Vons and Pavilions eroded over the years.
storewanderer

Re: South Pasadena Vons Closing Next Month

Post by storewanderer »

It was probably important to them to keep the store open to keep competition out.

I think there was also enough business for both stores.

At least they are keeping the Pavilions.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

The article said they lost their lease, but in reality it probably had more to due with the major remodel they did of the Pavilions across the street. Originally they wanted to rebuild the Pavilions entirely and then shut the Vons down. I don't know if they couldn't get approvals, but the pictures off the remodeled Pavilions are very nice. looking.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

I'm surprised because they could have tried to use this in their divest scheme where they're trying to get rid of their own overlaps they got away with in past mergers.

This Vons looks like a former Ralphs? Doesn't sound like it was one though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: August 21st, 2023, 6:38 pm I'm surprised because they could have tried to use this in their divest scheme where they're trying to get rid of their own overlaps they got away with in past mergers.

I am guessing the landlord did not want the building to be used as a pawn, a chain that has a letter in its name and the word mart seems to be taking whatever buildings it can find in areas with any Asian population and this seems to fit that, so the landlord is moving on. Not that I have any clue who the new tenant will be but I am just speculating.

This Vons received its liquor license in 1978.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: August 21st, 2023, 11:48 pm
ClownLoach wrote: August 21st, 2023, 6:38 pm I'm surprised because they could have tried to use this in their divest scheme where they're trying to get rid of their own overlaps they got away with in past mergers.

I am guessing the landlord did not want the building to be used as a pawn, a chain that has a letter in its name and the word mart seems to be taking whatever buildings it can find in areas with any Asian population and this seems to fit that, so the landlord is moving on. Not that I have any clue who the new tenant will be but I am just speculating.

This Vons received its liquor license in 1978.
Again maybe it's just the picture but it really reminds me of a classic 70s build Ralphs.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 4:38 pm

Again maybe it's just the picture but it really reminds me of a classic 70s build Ralphs.
Size also seems larger than a Vons of that era... and it doesn't look like it was expanded.

I wonder if it was built for Ralphs or briefly operated as Ralphs then somehow ended up with Vons.

I thought this store was somewhat larger than the Pavilions was. It has been quite a few years since I was at these two stores, close to 7 years. Memory may be off.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

storewanderer wrote: August 24th, 2023, 12:26 am

Size also seems larger than a Vons of that era... and it doesn't look like it was expanded.

I wonder if it was built for Ralphs or briefly operated as Ralphs then somehow ended up with Vons.

I thought this store was somewhat larger than the Pavilions was. It has been quite a few years since I was at these two stores, close to 7 years. Memory may be off.
storewanderer wrote: August 24th, 2023, 12:26 am

No, never a Ralphs. Its an original Vons.... Store number 75. There used to be a Safeway near the exit to the 110 fwy years ago, Safeway closed that and built a bigger store down the street across from the Vons location. When the merger happened they kept both stores.