Petco Selling Fancy Feast Again

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Petco Selling Fancy Feast Again

Post by rwsandiego »

According to the Petco website, they are selling Fancy Feast cat food again. They had discontinued selling it when they discontinued selling pet food that was deemed to contain "artificial" ingredients. I saw an ad announcing the change "by popular demand", but couldn't remember when or where I saw it.

To me, Petco painted all "conventional" pet foods with a broad brush deeming them to be "un-natural." What they missed is that Fancy Feast is actually very good quality because it contains a high level of protein and low level of carbohydrates. I feed my cats a variety that is chicken, fish, and rice and, by gosh, there is actual rice in it! Never saw that with the "premium" food. It is also easier on my cats' stomachs. Although my cats are not diabetic, friends whose cats are have been told by their vets to feed Fancy Feast moist food.

Finally a company who listened to its customers, did some research, and made an informed change. One down, eight hundred fifty eight thousand nine hundred seventy seven to go! :lol:
storewanderer

Re: Petco Selling Fancy Feast Again

Post by storewanderer »

I bought some Fancy Feast "Medleys" at Petco sometime last year. They had the Medleys and some other type, I forget which. It wasn't the full line of Fancy Feast but it was a small assortment of some specialty ones, on an endcap.

Petco's stock price is quite depressed and they recently had a terrible earnings report. I expect they will bring back all conventional brands soon to try to improve their results.

I also wonder if part of Petco's performance issue is pissing customers off by charging 10 cents per bag at all locations with proceeds going to support "sustainability efforts" (probably to fund a $250k a year wage for the "sustainability executive") (10 cent fee for the thin plastic bag- about the only "bag fee" policy that I actually halfway suggest/accept as I think it discourages waste). I don't think most customers need a bag there so I don't think that would upset customers but who knows.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: August 26th, 2023, 12:24 am I bought some Fancy Feast "Medleys" at Petco sometime last year. They had the Medleys and some other type, I forget which. It wasn't the full line of Fancy Feast but it was a small assortment of some specialty ones, on an endcap.

Petco's stock price is quite depressed and they recently had a terrible earnings report. I expect they will bring back all conventional brands soon to try to improve their results.

I also wonder if part of Petco's performance issue is pissing customers off by charging 10 cents per bag at all locations with proceeds going to support "sustainability efforts" (probably to fund a $250k a year wage for the "sustainability executive") (10 cent fee for the thin plastic bag- about the only "bag fee" policy that I actually halfway suggest/accept as I think it discourages waste). I don't think most customers need a bag there so I don't think that would upset customers but who knows.
Haven't been charged even once for a bag at Petco. They must be aware of the pitfalls of California's ridiculous bag law. The voluntary compliance program states that the act of voluntarily beginning a bag fee at any location becomes a permanent, irrevocable acceptance of bag fees and such at all of your locations within the state of California in perpetuity. I'm not sure who would enforce it, but technically charge once if not required and now you have to charge at all your locations within the state permanently (you can't change your mind when customers revolt).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: August 27th, 2023, 4:29 pm
storewanderer wrote: August 26th, 2023, 12:24 am I bought some Fancy Feast "Medleys" at Petco sometime last year. They had the Medleys and some other type, I forget which. It wasn't the full line of Fancy Feast but it was a small assortment of some specialty ones, on an endcap.

Haven't been charged even once for a bag at Petco. They must be aware of the pitfalls of California's ridiculous bag law. The voluntary compliance program states that the act of voluntarily beginning a bag fee at any location becomes a permanent, irrevocable acceptance of bag fees and such at all of your locations within the state of California in perpetuity. I'm not sure who would enforce it, but technically charge once if not required and now you have to charge at all your locations within the state permanently (you can't change your mind when customers revolt).
Petco uses thin bags and charges a 10 cent fee for those bags chainwide in areas with no bag rules. This bag fee program started around last April. However the bag fee is not assessed on online pick up orders, Instacart or whatever program they use, etc. The signs posted state the proceeds are for "sustainability." Recently the Petco I go to ran out of bags entirely. I asked about it and was told the system wasn't sending them bags because the system was tracking bag use based on how many bag fees they had charged and according to the system they should still have thousands of bags left so they couldn't order any more. Also loss prevention is reportedly monitoring employees who do not ring up the bag fee SKU at least sometimes, and observing their activities.

What is funny is some places where there is no bag fee but paper bags are mandated (parts of NY for instance), Petco is not charging a bag fee in those stores as those stores have not been notified of any bag fee. The only notification of bag fee has been for "thin plastic bags" so those stores using paper bags at no fee are not assessing any kind of fee at this time.

In CA they use super thick bags and have been charging 10 cents per bag for many years (whether or not it is charged is obviously another story).
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: August 27th, 2023, 9:50 pm Petco uses thin bags and charges a 10 cent fee for those bags chainwide in areas with no bag rules. This bag fee program started around last April. However the bag fee is not assessed on online pick up orders, Instacart or whatever program they use, etc. The signs posted state the proceeds are for "sustainability." Recently the Petco I go to ran out of bags entirely. I asked about it and was told the system wasn't sending them bags because the system was tracking bag use based on how many bag fees they had charged and according to the system they should still have thousands of bags left so they couldn't order any more. Also loss prevention is reportedly monitoring employees who do not ring up the bag fee SKU at least sometimes, and observing their activities.

What is funny is some places where there is no bag fee but paper bags are mandated (parts of NY for instance), Petco is not charging a bag fee in those stores as those stores have not been notified of any bag fee. The only notification of bag fee has been for "thin plastic bags" so those stores using paper bags at no fee are not assessing any kind of fee at this time.

In CA they use super thick bags and have been charging 10 cents per bag for many years (whether or not it is charged is obviously another story).
Paper bags are required anywhere in NY (no plastic for stores, can be used for food service and places where nothing is taxable such as our local fresh vegetable stand).

The fees, however, were allowed to be authorized by counties and cities. Only a small number decided to do so (mostly the counties that make up NYC and a few scattered other ones - 8 counties total, of which 5 make up NYC, of 62 in the state) and three cities.

Beyond that, some stores/chains decided to charge their own fee at all stores (which, of course, was always allowed - see Aldi), but not all do that (and some seem to vary if they do or don't).

So, it's quite confusing if one happens to go to more than one area as to what is required or just stores choosing to do so (funny part is that the chains that choose not to charge when not required seem to be the ones you would think would - places like the dollar stores and Ocean State that are focused on lower prices, thus you'd think they would want to cut costs any way possible).
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: August 27th, 2023, 9:50 pm
ClownLoach wrote: August 27th, 2023, 4:29 pm

Only thin bags, no charge at our Petco and we are very much in California. But they had run out last time I was there. Maybe management is unaware.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: August 28th, 2023, 9:24 pm

Only thin bags, no charge at our Petco and we are very much in California. But they had run out last time I was there. Maybe management is unaware.
That is very interesting they are back to thin bags in CA. The ones in rural northern California (Auburn) and Sacramento suburbs have been using super thick bags for years, but it has been some months since I was in one of their stores in CA.

I think they could go bagless and it wouldn't be a huge issue. But at the same time they would dispense so few bags to begin with, why jerk around the customer who buys a large number of high margin accessories over a 10 cent bag? Just stupid.

Employees have been discussing the bag fee online since it started also.
~ttps://www.reddit.com/r/petco/search/?q=bag