Krispy Kreme and "Drive Through Only" locations

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Krispy Kreme and "Drive Through Only" locations

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: August 28th, 2023, 8:47 pm
ClownLoach wrote: August 28th, 2023, 7:59 pm

I'm under the impression they prepare store box doughnuts differently. I've been in two locations and the "hot light" was off yet the machine was cranking original glazed. They put a metal lid over the entire conveyor coming out, creating a "tunnel". The glaze does not look the same - it appears to be less opaque. They were unloading them onto large baking racks with parchment paper rectangles underneath. When I asked if I could get hot doughnuts they said those were "to fill orders" and invited me to come back later if I wanted hot ones. So those were store formula doughnuts to be retail packaged and delivered to grocery stores the next morning.
That's funny, I've been sold hot donuts before when they had that metal thing above the belt. I wondered what that was. I wasn't sure if it was like a dryer or what. I tried asking but it seemed as if I did not clearly know how to ask the question in a way that the employee could understand me/answer my question.
Could be that those locations I visited had big orders to fulfill and couldn't afford to serve from those batches of they'd never get them made, boxed and delivered. But they definitely are doing something slightly different with the store ones. Your idea about the metal covers being a dryer makes sense because moisture in the package will just cause the glaze to liquify and dissolve in the box.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

My local Krispy Kreme in the San Francisco Bay Area is walk in only. They blocked the drive thru for some reason. Apparently it is easier to talk in person than use their awful speaker. You can't hear anyone speaking.

I bought many more donuts than I would have. There were so many good looking donuts. The photos at the drive thru do them no justice.

They have some limited time pumpkin donuts that are really good. They had the pumpkin spice cake, pumpkin cheesecake, and pumpkin original glazed in ample supply. I loved all three of them.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 7:37 pm My local Krispy Kreme in the San Francisco Bay Area is walk in only. They blocked the drive thru for some reason. Apparently it is easier to talk in person than use their awful speaker. You can't hear anyone speaking.

I bought many more donuts than I would have. There were so many good looking donuts. The photos at the drive thru do them no justice.

They have some limited time pumpkin donuts that are really good. They had the pumpkin spice cake, pumpkin cheesecake, and pumpkin original glazed in ample supply. I loved all three of them.
Their pumpkin this year are the best seasonal flavors they've ever had. And I don't even like pumpkin normally.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

I saw some of the retail boxed KK seasonal donuts at Stater Bros yesterday--the pumpkin creme ones actually did look very good.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Did they change the recipe for the pumpkin? I tried in past years and I didn't like the flavor of their base pumpkin glazed donut. There was something too strong in there that I found off putting. And I usually really like pumpkin.

I hate to say I actually prefer the Dunkin pumpkin donut product. However the apple donut they sometimes roll out along with pumpkin (haven't seen that this year) is not worth trying, just nothing different from a plain cake donut.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I'm not sure if they changed their recipe this year. They seem to be a light brown color this year. I liked the flavor.

I saw big boxes at a local Walmart of the pumpkin varieties. They were about $14 something for a dozen. The ones at the restaurant were $2.98 or so for the pumpkin varieties. Other donuts were $1 something and up.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: September 4th, 2023, 12:41 pm Did they change the recipe for the pumpkin? I tried in past years and I didn't like the flavor of their base pumpkin glazed donut. There was something too strong in there that I found off putting. And I usually really like pumpkin.

I hate to say I actually prefer the Dunkin pumpkin donut product. However the apple donut they sometimes roll out along with pumpkin (haven't seen that this year) is not worth trying, just nothing different from a plain cake donut.
The signage said they're "all new" and I don't recognize them from the past. Usually anything Krispy Kreme puts out as a seasonal special is super sugary sweet, but these were pleasantly rich and spicy in flavor. They also had a pecan doughnut that was fantastic, it had perfectly bruleed pecans on top. Couldn't believe the quality of these seasonal ones.