Kohl's closing Albuquerque/Coronado Center due to theft

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
dcpeachy
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Kohl's closing Albuquerque/Coronado Center due to theft

Post by dcpeachy »

I saw this on the news last night. The store closes today, 9/16, due to theft. This store was a former two-level Mervyn's (and before that Liberty House and Rhodes Western) that was remodeled and split between Kohl's (most of the first level and all of the second) and Paradise Bakery/Panera (one end of the first level with only outside access). Employees say it was due to theft. The last couple of times I was in the store, they had moved shelves in the home area into pairs so that they only had to fill half the space, or, in other cases, had entire aisles of pillows filling shelves.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/kohls-at ... y-sept-16/
Alpha8472

Re: Kohl's closing Albuquerque/Coronado Center due to theft

Post by Alpha8472 »

Theft probably isn't the only issue. The sales at the store must be dismal as Kohl's has terrible pricing and really mediocre products.

It would look bad if Kohl's were to say sales were low and half the store was empty of merchandise.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I kinda wonder if the Portland Gateway location, which is next door to a Fred Meyer which has had issues with theft and has enhanced security not seen in other locations, is headed for the same fate. That location is also a former Mervyn's and at one time appeared to have three entrances, one of which was filled in a long time ago. The area just doesn't seem a good fit for Kohl's.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: September 16th, 2023, 6:48 pm I kinda wonder if the Portland Gateway location, which is next door to a Fred Meyer which has had issues with theft and has enhanced security not seen in other locations, is headed for the same fate. That location is also a former Mervyn's and at one time appeared to have three entrances, one of which was filled in a long time ago. The area just doesn't seem a good fit for Kohl's.
That store is down to one entrance now. It's a mess inside and out. Wouldn't be surprised by a post Christmas closure of Gateway.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

dcpeachy wrote: September 16th, 2023, 6:02 am I saw this on the news last night. The store closes today, 9/16, due to theft. This store was a former two-level Mervyn's (and before that Liberty House and Rhodes Western) that was remodeled and split between Kohl's (most of the first level and all of the second) and Paradise Bakery/Panera (one end of the first level with only outside access). Employees say it was due to theft. The last couple of times I was in the store, they had moved shelves in the home area into pairs so that they only had to fill half the space, or, in other cases, had entire aisles of pillows filling shelves.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/kohls-at ... y-sept-16/
Kohl's doesn't seem to do very well with two floor stores anyway so physically this store had one strike against it right there.

It is interesting JCP and Macy's continue to operate here but Kohl's leaves. How is the Macy's? Is it also not stocked well?

Kohl's used to have decent loss prevention but over time the resources are not what they once were. As many stores are newer they tended to have stronger camera coverage than many other stores and took some loss prevention related considerations into their store/department layouts on their freestanding single level stores. In a two floor building repurposed like this with 3 entrances I wonder how they did with loss prevention. At this point I am halfway surprised Kohl's can have a theft problem given their merchandise is mostly junk and doesn't have much worth. I guess what little branded merchandise they still carry in men's may have some resale value.
dcpeachy
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by dcpeachy »

Macy's in the mall is an OK store. A few years ago they closed the other store in town and then put more money into the Coronado Center store, doing some updates that hadn't been done after Macy's moved from its location in the former Broadway building, into the Goldwater's/May D&F/Foley's where it is now. Inventory is uneven. When they added Backstage, they put it at the upper-level mall entrance, so that's what people see entering the store. The store has Finish Line, Sunglass Hut, and an actual Starbucks location.

Several years back, I was in this store and a man was obviously stealing. He yelled at me about what I was looking at, while he was digging high-end purses out from under racks in the men's section. I told a cashier what was happening, and she seemed indifferent. The man ran out with several purses and left in a getaway car. I'm guessing it was an inside job, as purses that are normally secured with cables don't magically unlock themselves and hide in menswear near the exit.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Retail theft rings pay people to get jobs at these stores. This has led to serious breaches where the loss prevention employees were members of the theft ring.

The store closure could be due not to external shoplifting, but internal corruption. They can't even figure out who is loyal and who is not so they are shutting down the entire store.

Also many security guards are members of the theft rings. People always say security guards are useless. On the contrary, the theft rings make good use of corrupt security guards.