Target Self Checkout: Now 10 items or less

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Target Self Checkout: Now 10 items or less

Post by ClownLoach »

Recently all of the Target stores I have visited have installed homemade signage stating "10 Items or Less" for self checkout. A employee is now positioned closer to the line queue than the exit side (opposite of the previous positioning) to look at baskets and redirect large orders to a regular checkout. Also, stores with two entrances and banks of self-checkouts are only opening the bank opposite of the Guest Service counter.

At first I thought this might be a local initiative, like a District program, but upon reading social media and reviews this seems to be an active national rollout and policy change. Some stores are getting ahead of it and implementing the changes now instead of waiting for official signage and other supporting material.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Target Self Checkout: Now 10 items or less

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

If they adequately staff regular registers (I know but one can dream) this isn't a bad thing. Earlier this year at Target, I had a cartful and there were no manned registers open so I was forced to use self checkout. It went as well as can be expected for someone whose only experience with the concept is an item or two and not a full order.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Target historically (at least going back to the early 1990s when I briefly worked there) has always been stingy when staffing checkouts. Back then there would often be 1-2 regular cashiers, and they would expect everybody else working to come running every few minutes when they paged for backup cashiers. Often the only days the front end was fully staffed were Black Friday and the day before Christmas.

I don't buy many things at Target, but prefer self checkouts there for the simple reason that they don't get pushy trying to get you to sign up for the Target credit card.

Homemade signage was once a big no-no at Target, but they have relaxed a lot of standards in the last few years.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Nothing about 10 items or less self checkout at either store in my area this week. Self checkout is often the only checkout option available in the evening. Supposedly the stores have received signs but there is no way to properly staff the front end in a manner to actually put this policy into place. These stores will have a real challenge getting cashiers. This will only further frustrate customers and drive customers away from Target.

I feel like when Target initially installed self checkout, the old NCR units, they had a 15 item limit. I may be completely wrong. I thought the limit was posted on the light post or something. Some of the NCR units are so small that they always should have had a 10-15 item limit.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What needs to happen here is a few designated self checkouts with a greater item limit, those with larger counters/more space around them, then you could have the rest of them with this 10 item limit.

A 10 item limit is also too small. It should be a 15 item limit. Given the number of self checkouts Target has been installing lately this is not going to work too well.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Here is a tip to checkout faster at Target. Use the self-checkout register most stores have in the snack bar. It's rarely used and is a legitimate checkstand to use. Their front end staffing is awful and they seem to be too cheap or messed up to add the proper number of self-checkout stands. But using the one in the snack bar will get you going quickly.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: October 11th, 2023, 7:42 pm...I feel like when Target initially installed self checkout, the old NCR units, they had a 15 item limit. I may be completely wrong. I thought the limit was posted on the light post or something. Some of the NCR units are so small that they always should have had a 10-15 item limit.
I remember the same thing. I don't think the registers enforced the limit, though.

Even with the newer self-checkouts it can be a challenge to put all of the merchandise in the bagging area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: October 11th, 2023, 9:16 pm
storewanderer wrote: October 11th, 2023, 7:42 pm...I feel like when Target initially installed self checkout, the old NCR units, they had a 15 item limit. I may be completely wrong. I thought the limit was posted on the light post or something. Some of the NCR units are so small that they always should have had a 10-15 item limit.
I remember the same thing. I don't think the registers enforced the limit, though.

Even with the newer self-checkouts it can be a challenge to put all of the merchandise in the bagging area.
The Reno Target has very large self checkouts. They have one set of them on each side of the doors; as I recall the non food side has 4 self checkouts and the food side has like 8 or maybe 10 self checkouts. The bagging area has only one set of bags, however the "landing" past that set of bags has space for probably 6 bags filled. I think they kept about 12 cashier lanes. Previously they had something like 28 cashier lanes.

The Sparks Target just redid its front end and converted it to about 67% self checkout, all in one spot since it has only one door, and I noticed these self checkouts only have room for about 2 bags and no extra space at all.

The Carson City Target has 2-3 bag racks on self checkout plus a lot of space around them. This one only has 3 or 4 self checkouts total.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: October 11th, 2023, 2:37 pm Recently all of the Target stores I have visited have installed homemade signage stating "10 Items or Less" for self checkout. A employee is now positioned closer to the line queue than the exit side (opposite of the previous positioning) to look at baskets and redirect large orders to a regular checkout. Also, stores with two entrances and banks of self-checkouts are only opening the bank opposite of the Guest Service counter.

At first I thought this might be a local initiative, like a District program, but upon reading social media and reviews this seems to be an active national rollout and policy change. Some stores are getting ahead of it and implementing the changes now instead of waiting for official signage and other supporting material.
Excellent idea and finally!

I implemented that policy at all Fresh & Easy stores in my district. NO exceptions and all the stores were surveilled by camera for compliance. And guess what? SHRINK SHRANK! <<<<< (that sounds funny :lol: )
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

ClownLoach wrote: October 11th, 2023, 2:37 pm Recently all of the Target stores I have visited have installed homemade signage stating "10 Items or Less" for self checkout. A employee is now positioned closer to the line queue than the exit side (opposite of the previous positioning) to look at baskets and redirect large orders to a regular checkout. Also, stores with two entrances and banks of self-checkouts are only opening the bank opposite of the Guest Service counter.

It was stated elsewhere that it was a test in some areas, before they decided on going further.