Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by mburb1981 »

154 stores will close as part of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy, mostly in California, New York state, and Pennsylvania. The full list is here.

19 Michigan stores will be among those closed. Greenville is a store that is so old it uses the stripes decor from the late 80s-early 90s, and a good number of the stores slated to close still carry the RA1 decor.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Philadelphia is getting hit hard. Based on some of the listed locations, I'd say theft was a huge part of these closures.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Some pretty busy Rite Aids in SoCal on that list -- all in high rent areas...
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

looks like a pretty surgical haircut in Michigan--perhaps a little more drastic downriver (south suburban Detroit) but the ones closing seem like a pretty judicious and reasonable pruning of over-dense locations but pretty carefully retaining coverage through the entire lower peninsula and the eastern UP. Likewise Ohio appears to be a slight haircut, with multiple locations remaining in "frontier" areas like Dayton/Springfield.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Bagels wrote: October 17th, 2023, 8:42 pm Some pretty busy Rite Aids in SoCal on that list -- all in high rent areas...
I wouldn't call Los Olivos in Irvine busy. High rent, absolutely and was a very pretty store. But it never did any volume and admittedly when I lived across the street I think I shopped there less than 5 times because it made more sense to drive across the freeway for Target or Walmart. That Whole Foods next door to Rite Aid is probably the worst performer outside of Huntington Beach-Brookhurst and I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon closes it at the first lease term expiration. I know you think the Albertsons just north will close, my bet is that Whole Foods does even worse and would be an ideal 99 Ranch, or even better the first SoCal Patel Brothers.

Back to the topic, it is pretty obvious that the closures in this wave aren't all underperforming, but include many busy and/or valuable properties where the landlords wouldn't work out a deal pre-filing for a new lease with rent reduction. Aside from that Irvine store they all probably make good money. Could be some shrink stores in there too like Costa Mesa which is in a bad spot, Anaheim Brookhurst too. I would imagine those wouldn't be worth a call to landlords to ask for rent reductions since they'd never offset the shrink losses. I haven't seen the all glass case model at Rite Aid that we see at CVS who puts 97¢ Toothbrushes and $4.99 house brand body wash under lock and key, and I suspect they'd rather close their doors versus run that kind of store.

The second wave will be the real dog stores, which probably means that they're going back to some of those landlords and saying "we can leave fee free, we want to do exactly that, give us your best and final offer for a fat reduction and we might be persuaded to stay." That's the only reason those stores weren't announced yet. I'm actually surprised about some of the stores that are still open including their embarrassing new build Winchester store but there's still time to add that to the 2nd/final closing wave.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: October 17th, 2023, 10:47 pm
Bagels wrote: October 17th, 2023, 8:42 pm Some pretty busy Rite Aids in SoCal on that list -- all in high rent areas...
I wouldn't call Los Olivos in Irvine busy. High rent, absolutely and was a very pretty store. But it never did any volume and admittedly when I lived across the street I think I shopped there less than 5 times because it made more sense to drive across the freeway for Target or Walmart. That Whole Foods next door to Rite Aid is probably the worst performer outside of Huntington Beach-Brookhurst and I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon closes it at the first lease term expiration. I know you think the Albertsons just north will close, my bet is that Whole Foods does even worse and would be an ideal 99 Ranch, or even better the first SoCal Patel Brothers.

Back to the topic, it is pretty obvious that the closures in this wave aren't all underperforming, but include many busy and/or valuable properties where the landlords wouldn't work out a deal pre-filing for a new lease with rent reduction. Aside from that Irvine store they all probably make good money. Could be some shrink stores in there too like Costa Mesa which is in a bad spot, Anaheim Brookhurst too. I would imagine those wouldn't be worth a call to landlords to ask for rent reductions since they'd never offset the shrink losses. I haven't seen the all glass case model at Rite Aid that we see at CVS who puts 97¢ Toothbrushes and $4.99 house brand body wash under lock and key, and I suspect they'd rather close their doors versus run that kind of store.

The second wave will be the real dog stores, which probably means that they're going back to some of those landlords and saying "we can leave fee free, we want to do exactly that, give us your best and final offer for a fat reduction and we might be persuaded to stay." That's the only reason those stores weren't announced yet. I'm actually surprised about some of the stores that are still open including their embarrassing new build Winchester store but there's still time to add that to the 2nd/final closing wave.
The stores closing in Cupertino and Santa Clara are interesting. Cupertino used to be a very high volume store. I am not sure what happened there or if it just wasn't doing well. They used to occupy the larger anchor space next to Safeway that has been subdivided then relocated out to the smaller store as part of a shopping center redevelopment (the Safeway used to house a local chain called a Joey Franco's PW which ended up going under unfortunately). Santa Clara is next to a dead Save Mart and I thought the entire site was being redeveloped; that was given a Wellness remodel right as the Walgreens merger failed in what was the "last wave" of Wellness remodels and the store looks fantastic.

Sacramento Fulton isn't the greatest area and I am not surprised it is closing. Citrus Heights unit has been rather slow for years and really I am surprised they kept this store and closed so many surrounding stores (Citrus Heights used to have like 5 Rite Aids). They should still have 1-2 stores in Citrus Heights; now they will have zero. I think both of these were quite low volume operations.

Meanwhile in my immediate area nothing is closing. I guess I've had a really blurred view of Rite Aid over the years because given there is literally no closure activity in these rural markets it is obvious these stores despite a lot of staffing problems/hours reductions/inventory cuts since 2020 must be faring a lot better than a lot of other locations. There are a couple stores in this rural block of stores east of Sacramento that I am really surprised aren't closing, but I am glad to see them hanging on.

I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of store closure decisions are being made based on theft.

Nothing except perfumes is locked up at most of the rural Rite Aid units, but the store in South Lake Tahoe has installed a bunch of locking cases all over the store; laundry detergent and a handfull of other random items that do not make sense. I don't know who approved that expense but those cases need to be gone, there is no reason for them there. This store's theft issues were internal/cashier error based, not customer based.
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by mburb1981 »

Romr123 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 9:37 pm looks like a pretty surgical haircut in Michigan--perhaps a little more drastic downriver (south suburban Detroit) but the ones closing seem like a pretty judicious and reasonable pruning of over-dense locations but pretty carefully retaining coverage through the entire lower peninsula and the eastern UP. Likewise Ohio appears to be a slight haircut, with multiple locations remaining in "frontier" areas like Dayton/Springfield.
Taylor, which still has the RA1 decor it opened with, is the only Downriver closure.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

mburb1981 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 5:03 pm 154 stores will close as part of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy, mostly in California, New York state, and Pennsylvania. The full list is here.

19 Michigan stores will be among those closed. Greenville is a store that is so old it uses the stripes decor from the late 80s-early 90s, and a good number of the stores slated to close still carry the RA1 decor.
I think you can amend that to read New York CITY (outside of one that I saw in Rochester).
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

BillyGr wrote: October 18th, 2023, 7:12 am
mburb1981 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 5:03 pm 154 stores will close as part of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy, mostly in California, New York state, and Pennsylvania. The full list is here.

I think you can amend that to read New York CITY (outside of one that I saw in Rochester).
Two locations in the Buffalo suburbs(one apiece in Cheektowaga and Kenmore,each will have at least one store remaining).
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Here's the list for those with ad blockers:

California:
Los Angeles: 4044 Eagle Rock Boulevard
Los Angeles: 4046 South Centinela Avenue
Los Angeles: 959 Crenshaw Boulevard
Downey: 7859 Firestone Boulevard
Long Beach: 4402 Atlantic Avenue
Burbank: 935 North Hollywood Way
Covina: 139 North Grand Avenue
La Puente: 13905 Amar Road
Alhambra: 920 East Valley Boulevard
Oceanside: 3813 Plaza Drive