Target announcing closures in Portland, Ore.; Seattle, Wash.; California; Harlem

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Target announcing closures in Portland, Ore.; Seattle, Wash.; California; Harlem

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: October 17th, 2023, 2:28 pm
storewanderer wrote: October 15th, 2023, 8:40 pm
ClownLoach wrote: October 15th, 2023, 9:03 am

Those must be the worst stores in the Target chain. The District Manager and Group Manager should both be fired. This isn't accepted even at the most rough areas, Inglewood or Compton stores don't look like that ever.
Clearly the Sacramento based management of Target simply does not care.

Maybe they will get more interested in what is going on around here once South Lake Tahoe opens. Or they'll get even less interested as their indifference toward this area will now be divided even more thinly between more stores.
Wonder how one starts a rumor that Brian Cornell is coming to Reno and Sparks in a couple of weeks? Figure that out and I guarantee you those stores will be fixed and fast. Will it be sustainable? Probably not

:lol:
Last time a rumor of a Target CEO coming to Reno occurred was in the 90's. The Reno Target was run by an old Gemco veteran at the time who called BS and said it wasn't happening and the CEO will be flying right over Reno; the CEO never showed up and instead ended up somewhere in the bay area instead.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Target announcing closures in Portland, Ore.; Seattle, Wash.; California; Harlem

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: October 17th, 2023, 11:37 pm
storewanderer wrote: October 15th, 2023, 8:40 pm

Clearly the Sacramento based management of Target simply does not care.

Maybe they will get more interested in what is going on around here once South Lake Tahoe opens. Or they'll get even less interested as their indifference toward this area will now be divided even more thinly between more stores.
Wonder how one starts a rumor that Brian Cornell is coming to Reno and Sparks in a couple of weeks? Figure that out and I guarantee you those stores will be fixed and fast. Will it be sustainable? Probably not

Last time a rumor of a Target CEO coming to Reno occurred was in the 90's. The Reno Target was run by an old Gemco veteran at the time who called BS and said it wasn't happening and the CEO will be flying right over Reno; the CEO never showed up and instead ended up somewhere in the bay area instead.
:lol: And that's why the store looks like crap 24/7. There are no consequences for their actions. Gosh, what a powerful lesson about life that might be applicable elsewhere.....

I have a particular disdain for my former company, but unlike Target the various CEOs we had over the last decade each made a point of attempting to visit every store in the chain during their tenure, even obscure locations like Alaska and more rural locations in Wyoming or Montana that are hours apart. Target is not a company that I see the CEO doing any sort of real visits other than once or twice a quarter, and the stores selected likely have months of notice where everyone in the company will be pushing for the largest dog and pony show on Earth. I wouldn't be surprised if they even conduct remodels ahead of the CEO calendar that is likely set over a year ahead. And when the CEO arrives there will be a full PR team, photographers, the heads of legal, finance and HR, and a herd of useless corporate officials and other such people that all arrive on a tour bus with everything down to a buyout of a local restaurant for lunch and dinner.
Last edited by ClownLoach on October 18th, 2023, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: October 18th, 2023, 12:27 am

:lol: And that's why the store looks like crap 24/7. There are no consequences for their actions. Gosh, what a powerful lesson about life that might be applicable elsewhere.....
I can't get past the graffiti. This aisle is 25 feet from the "office" in the back corner of the store. The rest of the mess you could blame on customers that behave like pigs (yet I watch the customers and I don't see customers throwing stuff on the floor, etc. when I am in the store).
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: October 18th, 2023, 12:32 am

I can't get past the graffiti. This aisle is 25 feet from the "office" in the back corner of the store. The rest of the mess you could blame on customers that behave like pigs (yet I watch the customers and I don't see customers throwing stuff on the floor, etc. when I am in the store).
I'm trying to figure out how to publicize that picture. Maybe I should send it to investor relations, but then I don't have any of their stock...

I'm a firm believer that store employees train their customers.
Last edited by ClownLoach on October 18th, 2023, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: October 18th, 2023, 12:35 am
storewanderer wrote: October 18th, 2023, 12:32 am

I'm trying to figure out how to publicize that picture. Maybe I should send it to investor relations, but then I don't have any of their stock...

I'm a firm believer that store employees train their customers.
I don't think anyone cares what happens with the Reno Target... at some point something will happen that will be severe enough that someone will care. Similar to the South Lake Tahoe Rite Aid losing its food permit and that finally causing serious changes to occur there.

You have a point- if I see a messy store I don't care much. For instance if I am in a neat store I will often take a product from the back of the shelf so the shelf is still "faced" even after I buy something. Especially in these places like CVS etc. that I know are so tough on staffing. Or if I ruffle through items to find the item with the longest date, I will straighten/face the shelf before I leave. But if I am in a messy store all bets are off- I'll ruffle through the items and leave them messed up. I'll take the front item and move on.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: October 18th, 2023, 12:39 pm Why the Portland stores closed:
https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2023/ ... er-a-year/
City officials don't care about any of this. Lip service is it. If city officials actually cared the situation never would have gotten so far out of hand. The situation in these big cities when it comes to mental health, homeless, rents, etc. is a complete and total failure that has been designed by city leadership, property developers, and various other parties. And it isn't getting any better. It just keeps getting worse.

Where Target screwed up was opening in many of these locations in the first place. They should have known better. Target only made the situation worse. Target's presence in these areas served as a "brag" for these city leaders, property developers, and others who were destroying the areas to say look at this progress here we got Target in, now we will build a few extra floors of "luxury apartments" and charge another few hundred a month for them, and we will also increase the rent on those little local businesses nearby by 50% since big Target is here and we want the local businesses who have served the areas and the needs of the area's customers for decades gone since we can find other big corporate tenants who we can charge more and will cater better to "the new residents of the luxury apartments."
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

What gets me is that two of these locations were former bowling alleys turned into Orchard Supply Hardware locations, and when Orchard went down in flames, Target scooped them up. I can't help but wonder if the theft issues Target ran into are similar to what Orchard ran into, and that the expansion into ill-advised locations helped that chain's demise, since the chain did fairly well after its first bankruptcy.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

bryceleinan wrote: October 21st, 2023, 9:45 am What gets me is that two of these locations were former bowling alleys turned into Orchard Supply Hardware locations, and when Orchard went down in flames, Target scooped them up. I can't help but wonder if the theft issues Target ran into are similar to what Orchard ran into, and that the expansion into ill-advised locations helped that chain's demise, since the chain did fairly well after its first bankruptcy.
Only the Hollywood store was an Orchard. The Powell store wasn't an Orchard. Orchard went down hill due to their crazy overpriced merch and the overwhelming debt Fast Eddie dumped on them.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

babs wrote: October 21st, 2023, 11:30 am
bryceleinan wrote: October 21st, 2023, 9:45 am What gets me is that two of these locations were former bowling alleys turned into Orchard Supply Hardware locations, and when Orchard went down in flames, Target scooped them up. I can't help but wonder if the theft issues Target ran into are similar to what Orchard ran into, and that the expansion into ill-advised locations helped that chain's demise, since the chain did fairly well after its first bankruptcy.
Only the Hollywood store was an Orchard. The Powell store wasn't an Orchard. Orchard went down hill due to their crazy overpriced merch and the overwhelming debt Fast Eddie dumped on them.
Fast Eddie and Sears sold Orchard to Lowe's over ten years ago. Orchard got a fabulous redesign in a new concept with beautiful signage and a racetrack layout along with much improved merchandising practices and higher end goods as soon as it was freed from Sears. Lowe's also figured out how to fit 50% more SKUs in while reducing the store size by 25% making the business much easier to scale as it would fit in a more traditional box store like a former Office Depot. They opened many new stores in California and remodeled most to the new concept before deciding to make a massive investment of $5B to go coast to coast.

Orchard was just 5 years or so into Lowe's ownership before they made the ill fated decision to open stores in Oregon and Florida as the start of the national expansion. The brand didn't do well outside of California and they were going to add more locations then start advertising. But then the CEO left and they brought in the former JCPenney CEO (who had worked his way up for decades at Home Depot but left after being passed up for CEO). The new CEO of Lowe's didn't want to deal with all the diversification they had been doing, used the Oregon/Florida fumbled launch of OSH as justification for his opinion that these were all distractions from the core Lowe's business, and killed every new acquisition including Orchard, Rona (Canada), and Lowe's Mexico. Orchard was absolutely thriving and profitable, make no mistake of it, I've personally hired several of their managers. Lowe's was going to invest $5 billion to expand the concept to hundreds of stores with a goal of 1,000 across North America, primarily urban locations where a Lowe's wouldn't fit. The new CEO shocked everyone involved and wouldn't even take the time to sell it to someone else because he knew it would be a competitive threat so he just had the liquidators called to shut it down immediately. Lowe's Mexico was also liquidated, but he was nice enough to sell Rona/Lowe's Canada to a firm up there with the caveat they rebrand all Lowe's back to Rona.

I know of two Orchard stores that had Grand Opening banners still on the buildings when the closing sales were complete (Long Beach and San Marcos).

Orchard did not go down in flames, it was making a fortune but couldn't survive because it wasn't "profitable enough" vs the other businesses. To give you an idea, Lowe's and Home Depot each are nearly three times as profitable as Walmart in earnings per share. It is a shame Orchard was liquidated and that core success is why the management was able to reopen many of their best stores as Outdoor Supply Hardware.