Denny's Drive-Thru

Alpha8472

Denny's Drive-Thru

Post by Alpha8472 »

Small California town gets state's first Denny's Drive-thru. Denny's think that drive-thrus may bring in more customers.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/cal ... 484246.php
storewanderer

Re: Denny's Drive-Thru

Post by storewanderer »

Great excuse to lock up the inside whenever they feel like it and become "drive through only."

Maybe the tipping that occurs if people go inside will keep the employees from being motivated to do that with Denny's.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Denny's does offer food to go already. I don't see a need for a drive-thru with this type of restaurant.

But then again, the KFC drive-thru did a LOT of business when COVID closed down inside dining....
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Super S wrote: November 12th, 2023, 12:11 pm Denny's does offer food to go already. I don't see a need for a drive-thru with this type of restaurant.

But then again, the KFC drive-thru did a LOT of business when COVID closed down inside dining....
The only thing I can think of is the window will be only for picking up mobile orders (like how Chipotle does it)? I just don't see someone ordering off a menu board and waiting in line at a Denny's, which isn't really what I would think of when it comes to 'fast food'.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

You might order at the window and they will tell you to drive back after 20 minutes. In the mean time you will have to either park in the parking lot or find somewhere else to go. This might appeal to a person eating alone, but if you have multiple people it would be more pleasant to just go inside and wait for the food inside.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 12th, 2023, 6:52 pm You might order at the window and they will tell you to drive back after 20 minutes. In the mean time you will have to either park in the parking lot or find somewhere else to go. This might appeal to a person eating alone, but if you have multiple people it would be more pleasant to just go inside and wait for the food inside.
Seems like Denny's would need to limit menu items that are available through the drive thru to make this any more efficient than just ordering inside for carry out and waiting in your car or doing the same via a phone order.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

mbz321 wrote: November 12th, 2023, 5:48 pm The only thing I can think of is the window will be only for picking up mobile orders (like how Chipotle does it)? I just don't see someone ordering off a menu board and waiting in line at a Denny's, which isn't really what I would think of when it comes to 'fast food'.
I'm not sure why (and maybe something has changed), but Denny's has historically been lumped in with what most Americans call 'fast food' in the popular lexicon, and dining industry folks term 'quick service.' This has always confused me because they aren't offering anything that different from IHOP (considered "casual dining") or regional / growing national diner chains like Black Bear or Cracker Barrel.

So, I guess that could be one reason to experiment with the idea of a 'quick pickup' lane like the Chipotlane. It might also allow them to sell food in off hours with more security by having their dining area closed from say 11 pm to 6 or 7 am, but maintain the 24/7 reputation "America's Diner" is known for. I would think a classic drive through operation may require some kitchen equipment changes or setting guest expectations.